Clearly, I can't keep peanut butter in the house....

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 16. Feb 2014, 04:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
There are some foods that are just too dangerous to keep at home. My weakness is Skippy smooth peanut butter. It must be Skippy and it must be smooth. It's not that easy to find to be honest but I passed a shop that I know sells it and they had a disabled bay right outside. :lol:

I've eaten half a jar since last Thursday! :o So greedy! Never again....really....!

(It was flaming marvellous though!!)

P.S. I really want to swear up there :wink:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Never heard of the brand and, for me, it has to be crunchy but I do like a banana and peanut butter sandwichmon wholemeal.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I do like a bit of peanut butter now and again but my OH doesn't like it so the jar doesn't get finished and is wasted. I seem to go through cravings. At the moment I'm craving Dutch waffles& sweet & salted Popcorn! Not together! So I much through them in a week. But I'm searching high and low for some kendal Mint cake, can't find any local to me.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Granary bread , crunchy peanut butter and cherry jam sandwich .
    Jillyb
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry Sophie I am not peanut butter lover :mrgreen: ...............you enjoy xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    The Peanut Vendor by Stan Kenton and his orch is
    a brilliant swing tune.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    This a common brand here (Canada) Sophie. Darn it, but my gallbladder has trained me to leave it alone :cry: . I do have a large jar though, as it is the only way I can get my dog to take her pills. They stick so well to the roof of her mouth she has no choice :lol:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    :lol: love it Anna :lol: x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    The well known chocolate spread...and a spoon.... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I thought you might find this interesting.

"Peanut butter contains saturated fat and sodium, so how can it be considered a healthy food? That’s what a reader recently asked the Harvard Heart Letter. It's a good question that gets to the heart of choosing foods that are good for health. Dr. Walter C. Willett, a nationally known nutrition expert and a member of the Heart Letter's editorial board, tackled that question as part of the newsletter's popular Ask the Doctor feature.

The presence of saturated fat doesn’t automatically kick a food, such as peanut butter, into the “unhealthy” camp. Olive oil, wheat germ, and even tofu—all considered to be “healthy” foods—have some saturated fat. It’s the whole package of nutrients, not just one or two, that determines how good a particular food is for health, Dr. Willett says in the July 2009 issue of the Harvard Heart Letter.

A typical 2-tablespoon serving of peanut butter has 3.3 grams of saturated fat and 12.3 grams of unsaturated fat. That puts it up there with olive oil in terms of the ratio of unsaturated to saturated fat. Dr. Willett notes that saturated fat isn’t the deadly toxin it is sometimes made out to be. The body’s response to saturated fat in food is to increase the amounts of both harmful LDL and protective HDL in circulation. In moderation, some saturated fat is okay. Eating a lot of it, though, promotes artery-clogging atherosclerosis, the process that underlies most cardiovascular disease.

Peanut butter also gives you some fiber, some vitamins and minerals (including potassium), and other nutrients. Unsalted peanut butter has a terrific potassium-to-sodium ratio, which counters the harmful cardiovascular effects of sodium surplus. And even salted peanut butter still has about twice as much potassium as sodium.

Numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts. Although it is possible that nut eaters are somehow different from, and healthier than, non-nut eaters, it is more likely that nuts themselves have a lot to do with these benefits"

So keep on eating it - but maybe not half a jar all at once :wink:

Kath

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Plus, it tastes good, kath :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    You can buy skippy's smooth peanut butter online at C*stc* (big American store). You do have to be a member though and terms and conditions apply.

OH loves it and Son loves the Butterkist bars which I sometimes buy from another online company.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oooh thanks for that, Kath. Now if only they did smaller jars.....!

Think it is an American brand but I often find it in Kosher shops, funnily enough.

I do need an excuse to go to Costco though, Elizabeth. :D
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I was given a jar of Reece's smooth peanut butter for Christmas, it was divine! I had previously had some of their chocolate coated "cups" basically a 50p shaped tablet of peanut butter coated in choc, scrummy!
    The department store who's founder is on ITV on Sunday evenings at the mo has a very enticing food hall selling all sorts of mainly American goodies, they are ludicrously expensive tho!
    When son was returning from Afghan he shopped in the US PX (equivalent of our naafi) he brought me a large bag of candy coated beads of peanut butter, (think peanut bitter smartie!)he knows my weakness!