Head pains

Options
lynnoot
lynnoot Member Posts: 52
edited 8. Jul 2014, 17:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there

I wonder I anyone else suffers from head pains. I get pains all over my head, I wouldn't say they were headaches, more pains in the head. They move about and I think they may be something to do with neck pain. They are horrible and make me feel very uncomfortable. I take Dihydrocodeine for them, and paracetamol, but they don't do much to help.

I feel they are connected to my RA. Does anyone get this particular problem? I'm having a flare at the moment, so I hope it will go when the flare has settled down.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can / could wake up with horrible migrainey-type headaches as a result of the RA in my neck if I don't use a memory foam shaped pillow. (So, I almost always do use one :wink: ) They tend to begin at the back but can move around a bit as they dissipate. I don't take anything for them but, if bad, I wear a surgical collar for an hour or two.

If Dihydrocodeine and paracetamol don't do much to help I wouldn't bother taking them. I'm not sure about the former but the latter can be a cause of headaches.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Please remember that I am not a doctor but I think it would be wise for you to contact either your rheumatology unit or your GP. It could be some nerves being compressed somewhere or trouble with the blood vessels in the brain but, as I said, I am not a doctor. As Sticky pointed out there could also be a drugs link so please check with those who should know. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • piggy
    piggy Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Having awful neck and head pain also and after reading some of your comments I realise that this is a common problem, does anyone experience dizziness and numbness in arms ? I am realy concerned as can be so bad sometimes I feel ime going to pass out ( not good when in middle of road ).. also has anyone been offered antidepressants as a treatment. ? having a terrible problem with pain relief as apart from arthritis in neck and lower back I also suffer with my tummy so cant have most painkillers..any advice would be great , take care xxx
    Keep Calm And Hobble On...And God Help Us xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello piggy, I asked my GP for anti-depressants when my OA was confirmed (in addition to my PsA) and my plan was to take them for a few months then come off them. My rheumatologist disagreed though, her reasoning being if I can keep my spirits up (albeit artificially) then that will help me cope better with the pain. She has been proved right. I take 20mgs of Citalopram per day. DD
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello Lynnoot

I have suffered from head pains for many years and my neck has now "advanced degeneration". When it was first diagnosed some 25 years ago, the doctor said "you will just have to live with it". Well, the best way I can keep it to a minimum is by seeing a very good osteopath regularly and he keeps it very well maintained by extremely gentle massage and movement. And I do mean "gentle". For me it's no good going to one of those osteopaths who try to swivel my head round till it's facing back to front :lol:.

Fortunately my osteopath is youngish so I haven't got a problem with him retiring any time soon as I will very likely need his help till I drop off the planet :roll: .

Hope you can get the help you need soon.

Janet
  • piggy
    piggy Member Posts: 18
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello piggy, I asked my GP for anti-depressants when my OA was confirmed (in addition to my PsA) and my plan was to take them for a few months then come off them. My rheumatologist disagreed though, her reasoning being if I can keep my spirits up (albeit artificially) then that will help me cope better with the pain. She has been proved right. I take 20mgs of Citalopram per day. DD

Hi DD, thanks for getting back in touch...I don`t think I explained myself properly (as usual ha ha ). On last visit to the doctors to talk about pain it was suggested that I try antidepressants, not for low moods but for the pain relief itself, as I was told that they have an effect on the nerve endings which she said are getting squashed.
    Has anybody else been told this and tried them themselves? You see I`m wondering is it worth the side effects of these pills as I`m coping with enough as it is.

Take care Piggy
    Keep Calm And Hobble On...And God Help Us xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There are meds that overlap in what they treat: many on here take amytryptiline (which is used at higher doses as an anti-dep) but at lower doses it helps people relax into 'better-quality' (i.e. drugged) sleep. I won't take it, end of. I prefer to feel the pain. Yup, I'm odd. :wink:

When we moved in December last year I hit an emotional and energy high which was gorgoeus, so stopped the Citalopram. It took me a while to realise that that was a wrong move :wink: but your troubles are different to mine. If that is what your GP said then try it. None of us on here are docs but I think we all know that you won't know until you try. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I suffer with nasty migraines, so I know where your coming from, all I can do is totally write the day off. Hope you can get something done to help you with them soon.
  • lynnoot
    Options
    I've taken amitriptyline (not for depression) for many years, 2x50mg. If I'm in a lot of pain I up that to 3x50mg. I think I'm fortunate in that I don't get hungover with them.

Thanks for your replies re head pain. It hasn't gone away, but it's less severe at the moment. My big problem right now is that my feet keep swelling up. They're normal sized when I get out of bed and I can see my ankle bones, but when I stand and walk around they swell up and are painful. I don't think it's odoema. By the end of the day I'm in lots of pain from them.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It might be OA or oedema or, I guess, other stuff. Maybe you should get a doc to check it out. Raise your legs whenever you can in the meantime.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnoot
    Options
    Hi Ken

Thank you for your reply, you have given me some food for thought.

No-one at the hospital has suggested splints or braces, but I do see a physio so I could ask her what she thinks. I also have a podiatrist who I could ring and ask for advice.

Re the analgesics - is there a particular one that you use? I have tried Ibuprofen gel, with limited success. The ones that heat your skin are no good to me as my feet burn. I do put my feet into cool water, this does help, and I try and keep my feet raised up at intervals through the day. It's the only way I can cope.
  • lynnoot
    Options
    I'm sad to say that things are no better. I can't manage to do many chores without sitting down every so often. The minute I start walking around my ankles swell up and are painful. This is really limiting what I can do, it's difficult to get round a shop, I was going to go with a friend to town but I had to cry off. I do have a mobility scooter but it's difficult to get round busy shops using it.

I take dihydrocodeine for the pain, but I can usually only manage to take a couple per day as they give me bad constipation. Yesterday I took 3 spread over the day and last night I had a nightmare which I think was due to that fact.

I'm due to go back to see my rheumy in a couple of weeks, but I bet they won't be interested in my swollen feet!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I suspect it's more of a GP problem than a rheumatologist one but you could ask. I'm sure (s)he'll be interested if it's an arthritis-related swelling but it's not in his / her remit to deal with it if it's caused by something other than arthritis.
    Steven Wright
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi

I've been dealing with serious head pains for the last three weeks. The only drug that has worked to relieve the pain is diazepam, I can now sit up, read, knit etc. it's helped me to get back to a normal life until I see my neurologist, that is the only person who can suitably deal with the pain. You will need to ask the GP fir a referral.

Good luck.