Help welcome

Options
lindamay
lindamay Member Posts: 118
edited 25. Apr 2015, 13:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hello I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hip last year. I had x ray and was given parcetamol and ibuprfen and said they will send for me in 6 months for another x ray. I am still looking for any advice on living with this condition. I try to keep as active as possible. I also try to eat healthily. Some people tell me tomatoes agrevate the condition is this true or myth? Pain bothers me all down my leg even into my foot. It is sometimes worse when in bed so I can't sleep well. Any advice welcome please.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Lindamay welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. From what you have told us I suspect that you have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, yes? That is the one which is dealt with by GPs and the treatment is pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory.

My OA has been present since 2011 and I know that acidic foods aggravate it for me so I try to steer clear of vinegar and pickles. My mother found tomatoes bad for her but so far so good with me. Responses to food is a very individual thing so it may be worth your keeping a diet diary (which is linked to increased pain etc.) to help you find or eliminate your culprit/s. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello. DD's quite right (she usually is :wink: ) in that different people find different foods are better avoided. A basically healthy Mediterranean diet is best.

Sometimes we get referred pain ie because your hip is hurting you may be walking differently or awkwardly and that might account for the pain in the rest of your leg and foot. Wear good supporting shoes and, yes, exercise is good as it keeps the supporting muscles strong. Try looking at some of Arthritis Care's publications (above) for imfo on a healthy lifestyle.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello lindamay and welcome to the forum
    I had my hip replaces just over 2 and half years ago now but waiting for the other to be done,I did get referred pain in my foot and knee..I didn't come across any foods that aggravated it but certain movements did,and of course walking to far...do you use a walking aid a stick or crutch this can help a little..then there are the pain dullers has we call them, I have amytriptalne to help me sleep and it does work but you have to up it slowly because it can make you drowsy in the mornings..but this soon wore off with me, also a pillow between your legs can sometime help take the pressure off...I hope this helps
    Love
    Barbara