rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 2. Jun 2015, 15:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Former MP Charles Kennedy has died at the age of 55

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've just heard it on the news and at least the BBC media are not speculating as to the cause. He was once described as a 'fully-paid-up member of the human race', a tribute indeed for a politician. He took the Lib Dems to new heights under his leadership, was involved in politics for thirty two years, faced his demons and I think he was treated him fairly shoddily when they dumped him as leader. It must have hurt in the election to lose his 'safe' seat to the SNP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Charles Kennedy was one of those MPs, of all parties, who serve to remind us of how very wrong, glib and unkind we are when we say all MPs are the same and only concerned with self-interest. He was a good man. I shall miss him.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I echo the comments made by DD and Sticky - he seemed a genuine, caring man, coping with his problems as best he could, with a genuine connection to those he served. Rest in peace.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    The thing that stands out for me was when he opposed the war against Afghanistan..but Tony Blair knew better.... :x RIP
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    The thing that stands out for me was when he opposed the war against Afghanistan..but Tony Blair knew better.... :x RIP
    oops :oops: meant the war in Iraq....
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    He was my sister's MP, she held him in high regard and she says she is so glad she had a chance to meet him before the election. His SNP successor now has a doubly hard act to follow....