Jamie's Sugar Rush

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 6. Sep 2015, 03:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
I don't know how many saw this documentary last night but it was truly shocking, 130 amputations in the UK a week as a result of type 2 diabetes, let alone the impact on children.
Well worth a watch and there is a petition for a tax on sugary drinks to sign at
channel 4.com/sugarrush.

Love him or hate him he practices what he preaches and Jamie Oliver is going to implement this in all his restaurants and use the money raised to promote food education in primary schools.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've signed it, Slosh.

I read recently that most hospital admissions of Under 5s (6s?) are for tooth extraction due to decay. There has to be a better way.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I agree. I can also support the work he does in regards for healthy eating education in schools as the school I work in is involved and it has really made a difference, he also helps schools link into other resources and charities. We've had visits from professional chefs to lead food and cookery workshops with children, our school cook was helped to set up an after school cookery club and we were one of a few schools nationwide that Cbbc used to film a cookery programme in.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I thought it was shocking to see how much damage sugar is doing. I think people have almost come to accept as normal that young children need to have teeth out. I like Jamie Oliver. He gets things done.
    Christine
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Its is all down to the food industry who have a lot of clout..originally sugar was added has a cheap filler...then they realized how addictive it was..just checked things you buy and it is shocking the things that contain sugar..Im so glad Jamie has brought this to the front..hopefully people will listen...and the food industry.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    'They' need to keep on reducing the sugar in foods....cereals.....tomato soup...beans etc.

:roll:

love

Toni xxx

PS neither of my kids has ever had a filling - I am proud to say :)

I have lots :oops: