Positive thinking

Options
Munchysmum
Munchysmum Member Posts: 3
edited 25. Sep 2015, 05:26 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

I am new to the site. I am 58 and have Osteoarthritis in both hips and have very limited mobility.
Unable to see a positive side to this condition at the moment although I very much want to
I am sure there are many folks out there who live with arthritis and deal with it in a positive way.
I don't feel ready to have surgery although I have been offered it. I am a bit worried about things going wrong and being left in a worse state than I am now.
I would value any advice from anyone with more experience than I have

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I am nineteen years in, with two kinds of arthritis, reliant upon walking aids, have completely forgotten what pain-free feels like (which makes things a great deal easier mentally because I'm no longer harking back to something I will never have again) and know exactly what my future holds - more of the same. :wink:

I have had a number of major operations over the years but no joint replacements as yet. I went for an assessment on my knees when I was 52, they were bone-on-bone through about 3/4 of each joint but I was turned down for being too young and too fat. I'm now 56, thinner than I was and have absolutely no cartilage left, but because everything else has deteriorated much further I don't think I'll bother because the benefit will be limited - and the thought of a pain-free oasis in the middle of my legs whilst the rest twangs on is terrifying. I can understand your apprehension, for us it's a major event but for the surgeon it's what he does.

Surgery has never bothered me, in my view it's designed to make things better and it always has. When I read about the new lease of life that those with OA in only one or two joints enjoy once they've taken the plunge I admit to feeling envious but I have far more on my arthritic plate than they had on theirs. My neighbour had a new hip last year and told me I should have it done. I explained that my hips were OK-ish, but my toes, ankles and knees are shot to bits. She was surprised that one could have arthritis in more than one joint because that was her experience of it.

Many on here have had their hips replaced - the operation is a tough one for the surgeon, the recovery is not necessarily easy for the patient, but the potential benefits are not to be sniffed at: greatly reduced (maybe even no) pain and greatly enhanced movement. Those are the prizes to eye and aim for, the quality of life can be greatly improved and also slow the impact on other joints. When one joint is affected we naturally alter how we stand, sit, lie and move, thus putting other joints under pressure and out of kilter: I reckon that's how OA spreads.

Not many members look in on here so please re-post on the Living with Arthritis board, I am sure some of the hippies will spot your post and reply - I hope so anyway! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello Munchysmum and welcome from me, too :) I'm 69 and have RA and OA in most joints (apart from the replaced ones).

Over the many years that I've had it arthritis has taught me some very valuable lessons that I would have carefully have avoided learning given the choice :wink: However, I don't really see a positive side to it as such. It's a pain. A lot of pains, in fact :lol:

I think the key is to remain positive about life in general. Arthritis can certainly stop us doing a lot that we'd like to do so sometimes it's a matter of asking ourselves how we can manage to do the things that really matter to us while letting go of the things that don't. I still go out for walks with my husband and visit friends and family (including the Californian side once per year.) but these days I do much of it it by wheelchair. And take my memory foam pillow. RADAR keys for disabled loo access are good too.

I had my first knee replacements in 1981. One was replaced again about 5 years ago but I still have the other. Hips came later. All my operations have been very successful. I use the wheelchair sometimes partly because of my feet, which are a mess, and partly because, with RA in most joints, I'm not very well 'articulated' :roll:

Knees and hips are major, but very common, operations now with a very high success rate. When you say you are concerned about 'being left in a worse state than I am now' how are things now? How much can you / can't you do? I've always embraced surgery. I needed the first knees because my boys were young and I was really struggling to do the basics. Then one hip broke (RA related) so a no-brainer there. By the time the other hip went and one (27 yr old) TKR died I knew surgery was my only positive option.

I guess, looked at one way, you could say surgery was a gamble but it's not much of one if you do your pre and post op exercises and don't try to run (as if :lol: ) before you can walk. Not having surgery is also a gamble because we put other joints under pressure by our poor gait and, if not having surgery means continually taking more pain relief, that too will impact on our general health and well-being.

As DD says, posting on Living With Arthritis will attract more replies. I hope we'll see you around. Again, welcome :sunny:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Munchysmum and welcome to the forum..I love your user name.. :) I have had on THR and glad i did..but you will know when you are ready and the worse the pain the better the results..IE waking up and that awful deep pain has gone..so I am now in the process of making up my mind for the second one..and an op on my back...so yes try and stay positive it make such a difference... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • ITLSusan
    ITLSusan Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi Munchiesmum,

Let me try and help you with some positive thinking - I know it seems impossible at times!

Not every case of OA progresses to hip replacement surgery or a life of pain and misery. It's easy to get that impression sometimes because most of the people that seek out help forums do so because they are in a bad way. Also, help advice provided online is directed at those in a bad way. This can give a false impression of a very bleak future for those unfortunate enough to receive an OA diagnosis. Very many people are out living lives to the full with only minor inconvenience.

I have a 55 year old friend that was diagnosed with severe knee OA at age 50. He was advised to stop running. He did so, but missed it so much that a year later he returned to it. He's now running ultra-distance races, he runs up mountains, he runs 5k in 20 minutes, he's cycled around Europe. He says he can feel his knee "isn't quite right" but he has no pain.

This WON'T be the case for everyone as there are lots of different underlying causes for an OA diagnosis, but there's every reason to believe that you CAN make things better for yourself. Possibly infinitely better.

Now I know you're saying things are bad for you now. But it's too soon to assume that things will go downhill and not take a turn for the better. At the very least you can put yourself in the driving seat and feel less helpless.

I know a 70 year old lady that was waiting for a THR. She was desperate to get the op over with to free herself of the pain. Within a couple of weeks of self-treatment she'd got to the point where she no longer felt she needed that op. Here's what she had to say:

"The last time I was here, in Cyprus, in June this year, I had great stiffness and pain walking from the car park into the centre of Kyrenia, a walk of around 10 minutes. I was longing to get the THR op over and done with, so that I could be free of this suffering.

Today I did the same walk, and was bounding along, overjoyed with what I could now do. No pain and a freedom of movement that I thought had gone forever.

I have found that in practising Trigger Point Therapy it is a matter of trial and error. I am making precise notes of what works. The Cat and Dog poses in Yoga are helping me, I think."

It was self-massage techniques from this book that turned things around for her:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1608824942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443172710&sr=8-1&keywords=trigger+point+therapy+workbook

There are lots of things that you can try. But I HIGHLY recommend starting with the trigger point book. It really can work miracles and very many trigger points produce pain that mimics joint pain.

There are lots of sources of pain. You can't always assume that it's down to your joints. In a quick 10 min docs appointment there's often not enough information exchanged for him to correctly identify the cause of your pain. So it's always worth doing a bit of homework yourself to see if you can find any treatable pain causes (treatable without drugs).

There's even research indicating that in knee OA most pain is due to myofasical pain (which is essentially treatable trigger point pain). I'll track that study down if you think it might help to give you that positive mindest that you want?

Good luck - you CAN win the battle and get a good life back!