Shocking news from Orthopaedic Consultant appointment

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 20. Jul 2016, 11:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went to my Orthopaedic appointment thinking discuss my ankle fusion and my toe pain sorted relax looking forward to holiday. And well it didn't out that way! While waiting to go in I saw my Rhummy Nurse go into my Consultants room, thought that's weird she's suppose to be at Bromsgrove today? She said 'Hi' as she walked passed me. Then I was called in. First he asked how my toe was and I said ' when I walk it's painful, and he said 'well we tried to take away as much of the arthritic bone at the time but your M.R.I scan showed the area is like swiss cheese rather holey! So we are going to have to fuse your toe I'm afraid'. And I answered 'as well as my ankle?'. That's when he went quiet, pulled up the ankle scan and turned to me and held my hand. And said the words. We've found a tumour in your ankle bone. He showed me on the scan. I'm going to refer you to the consultant at Kidderminster who deals with bone tumours and he will be able to tell you what it is and if it's malignant or not. I don't really remember much after that. I told him I was going away next week on holiday and he said if you want I will get the appointment for after you come back from your holiday and I just said yes please I wanted to try and make it a happy holiday if we can. The worse part was telling Phil. I could see from his face it shattered him. After a lot of tears we talked and agreed we will take it one step at a time and what ever happens we will deal with it together. The toe fusion will be done when we get answers about the tumour.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry, bubbadog. Yes, that will have come as a shock. I do hope it's a benign tumour.

You will struggle to enjoy your holiday with this hanging over you but your plan is a good one. One day at a time. It's how I dealt with my breast cancer all those years ago and it worked for me. I hope it does for you, too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Big hugs bubba,I'm ready and waiting for pocket duties when needed .Try and enjoy your holidays. (((()))) Mig
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    What a shock for you, Bubba, but I agree with Sticky that one day at a time is best. I hope you are able to relax on your holiday and that they find the tumour is benign.

Take care of yourself.

Meg
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Oh Bubbadog this is a diagnosis that no one wants to hear. I am very sorry that you were given this news and totally understand how nothing really sinks in after you have been told.
    Nothing anyone can say will stop you worrying, until you know all the facts. So, you do right to enjoy your holiday and deal with one thing at a time. Then, once you have seen the Consultant you will know more.
    An abundance of hugs. We will be there for any pocket duties, at any time. XX Take lots of Care, Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    My heart goes you to you bubbadog, not the one thing you want to hear.

Best of wishes

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    So sorry to hear that Bubbadog
    Sending you hugs and hoping it'll be benign
    xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    What an awful shock. Nothing else I can say except once again as others have said try and take things day by day and enjoy your holiday. Will be ready for pocket duties as and when needed.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi bubbadog
    So sorry to hear your news.I hope and am sure that all will turn out ok.
    You are right to carry on with your holiday it will give time for the initial shock to soften and for you to get things into perspective.
    Am sure you will come back in a determined and positive frame of mind.
    Will be ready and willing to do pocket duty whenever required.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    That was shocking news. I know you will worry but remember worrying won't make it any worse or any better so try to enjoy your holiday. Plenty of time to deal with it when you get back. (((hugs)))
    Christine
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I am so sorry that you have had this news. I do understand how worrying it is. A weird bone growth was found on my humerus during a treatment for tendinitis elsewhere in my shoulder. The radiologist was fab and sent me straight for a CT scan. I then had it removed in theatre and it was just a benign bone growth. Quite large and growing into a tendon so painful too. I was very scared while I waited for the biopsy result though.

I really hope that you have the same positive outcome and will keep everything crossed for you. Enjoy your holiday, hopefully 'park' this problem and then get some good news soon.

Hugs x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Aww Bubba lots of hugs. You do not want to get that news especially before your holiday.
    Its easy to say don't worry and take one day at a time but it is a lot harder to do
    I'll be thinking about you and lots of hugs aagain

Love
    Hileena
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh bubba, bless your heart. Sending lots of hugs and support. I hope you are able to push this to the back of your mind, as much as possible, to make the most of your holiday. Will be thinking of you and hoping that it's benign and easily treated. Xx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    So sorry to hear this bubba. I do hope you are able to benefit from having the breathing space of your holiday before you have to start the rounds of appointments and investigations.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Bubbadog,
    So sorry to hear your news. I hope that you are able to still enjoy your holiday and then find out what the next steps are. Thinking of you xx
    NB
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this Bubba! What a shock it must be for you. Hopefully it will be benign.
    I hope you manage to enjoy, and benefit from your holiday. I'll be available for pocket duties when you're back.
    Take care ((((()))))
    Numpty x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    More hugs bubba. Mig
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Oh, Bubba. What bad news right before your holiday. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it is just a benign tumour. Hope you have a good break. xxxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I saw your post and was stunned. Still don't know what to say other than to send you some of these ((((( ))))) Am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    bubba I am sorry to hear this, and you must be scared, but can I just say that many years ago about the time I came on this forum I had awful pain in my ankle..had it scanned and they took me into hospital has it was infection in the bone..they weren't sure at all what it was till they did a little op..so I am hoping yours turn out to be the same..and it can be sorted ..what a shame it will be on your mind while on holiday..I hope you enjoy it anyway...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Guys, Back from holiday, had a lovely time and we both have good tans. Didn't have a letter from the hospital about my ankle so have left it a few days and called my Orthopaedic Consultants secretary. She eventually called me yesterday and said they received all the information on ankle on the 17th June and they passed it over to the Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham and their M.R.I technicians are reporting on it (again!) for the consultants and I should get an appointment when they have reported their findings to the consultant. So still waiting!! :roll:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    So, the new hospital doesn't trust the interpretations of the old hospital but are not exactly rushing things, are they? I think you were right to ring, bubbadog, and please keep doing so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    Hi Guys, Back from holiday, had a lovely time and we both have good tans. Didn't have a letter from the hospital about my ankle so have left it a few days and called my Orthopaedic Consultants secretary. She eventually called me yesterday and said they received all the information on ankle on the 17th June and they passed it over to the Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham and their M.R.I technicians are reporting on it (again!) for the consultants and I should get an appointment when they have reported their findings to the consultant. So still waiting!! :roll:

I'm glad you had a nice holiday, you deserved a good break. Sorry you're still waiting, fingers crossed yo hear soon.