Trapeziectomy date :-)

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 8. Aug 2016, 10:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got the date for my trapeziectomy today - 22nd July - so now I'm making a list of things I want to do before then, while I have the use of both hands!
I have to go for a pre-assessment on19th July. I'm hoping I can have a nerve block, rather than a GA.

Meg

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Time is going to go quickly now. Hope it goes well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Not far off. Good luck with the pre-op organising. Hope the op goes well for you. Please keep us up to date as well as you can afterwards.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you both. Typing is going to difficult with one hand. I'm that very old fashioned (now) touch typist, so am not sure where the letters on a keyboard are if I have to look for them!

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery meg..and I hope you will be able to let us know how you are..if not you can ask one of us to be your PA...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Good luck, meg. I hope you get your local and I wish you all the very best.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    I went for my pre-assessment this morning - trapeziectomy on Friday - and they've cancelled the op because they found I have a heart murmur. So, I've now got to have an echocardiogram to look into this, before I can have a new date for the trapeziectomy.

Feel flat now, as I was all psyched up for Friday and I'm also a little worried about this new finding.

Meg
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oh no, Meg - what a blow that must have been. At least you know they're being thorough, and exercising caution. I understand you must be hugely disappointed when you were psyched up for Friday.

Good luck, & I hope everything turns out well.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh how worrying! Probably minor but these things never seem so when they hit so close to home. Upsetting, too, re the trapeziectomy when you've got all ready and psyched up for it.

Try to see the positives, Meg. Whatever this is or isn't it's been flagged up early thanks to the pre-op and that's good. As for the op – it's only pain. We do pain, right?

Please keep us in the loop. I send extremely positive vibes your way.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you very much, Theresak and Sticky. I'd got a schedule for completing chores this week, so I would need to do very little next week! Now, I've decided to read my book instead this afternoon. :D

You're quite right, Sticky, it's good that this has been picked up now. I honestly can't remember the last time I had my heart listened to - it must be many years. In fact I said to the nurse what a good health check the pre-assessment was and that was when she told me that the operation was off! :roll:

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh bother, bother and bother again. Yes, that is a blow but it is a good thing that this was discovered. A friend's elderly mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and they were keen to operate ASAP - during her 'pre-flight' checks they discovered she needed a pacemaker so that was done within three days of the discovery then after a fortnight they did the op (good old NHS).

It will all come to pass in due course, megrose, both things will be sorted, of that I am sure. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Meg I am sorry,but its a good thing that these pre-ops pick up on things like this..hopefully they will right it for you and the op wont be far behind..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you, Barbara and DD. Got my echocardiogram appointment this morning - Monday 1st August - so I haven't had long to wait, which is good. :-)

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It is and, as August 1st is Yorkshire Day, that has to be a good omen :wink:

Meanwhile, we're here when needed. ((( )))
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    I had my echocardiogram yesterday and the sonographer told me that there was some thickening in one valve and a leak in another, which, presumably, caused the murmur that the nurse heard. So, now I wait for the nurse practitioner to get back to me with a full report of the echocardiogram and, hopefully, a new date for the trapeziectomy.

I don't know whether this leak in a valve means that I will have to see a cardiologist or not. At the very least, I hope that I'm going to be monitored and, if this isn't offered, I will ask about it. Onward and upward!

Off to the cinema this afternoon to see the new Jason Bourne film. I've just heard on the radio that he has a total of 45 lines in the whole film - it's mainly action. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Firstly, please accept my apologies for forgetting about your appointment yesterday, I've somehow lost track of time in addition to being somewhat busy but that's no excuse, is it? :oops:

I understand that this 'delay' must have been distressing but there is trouble and, to my way of thinking, it's good that this has been discovered. I hope that the trapeziectomy can go ahead at some point but we will wait and see, yes?

I hope you enjoy the cinema, I'm not a great fan thanks to the volume which is deemed necessary (I don't have a hearing problem so miss a great deal due to distortion) but may brave one to go and see the BFG. I like the Bourne films but have only seen them on DVD at home; I think the BFG will be better on a HUGE screen! DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You have the right attitude, megrose. I think I, too, would like to be monitored in your situation and I confidently predict they will.

Will it be a problem for the trapeziectomy? My guess would be no, now that they know what they're dealing with ie maybe a different anaesthetic will be involved.

Enjoy your movie. I have no idea what you're going to see :oops: but, like DD, I keep well clear of movie theatres ever since being blasted by the first Harry Potter many years ago. I am not deaf and would like to remain that way.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    I heard from the hospital this morning and, although there is leaking from the mitral and tricuspid valves, this is classed as 'trivial regurgitation'. In other words, no more than you would expect from somebody of my advanced age (70), so no follow-up necessary. :D However, I will mention it to my GP the next time I see him, as I don't know whether they send the information to him. I'm also going to check my blood pressure more closely. I take medication for high blood pressure, but rarely check it, even though we do have a machine. If I've got these slight leaks it will be prudent to keep my pressures as low as possible. It was excellent that they found the murmur and that I had an echocardiogram so quickly, but I'm pleased that I can relax a little.

I'm now due to have my trapeziectomy on 24th August, so anybody who wants to pop along and hold my other hand on the day would be very welcome. Thank you for your support, you're all stars!

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, I think that's good news, Meg. A bit hard to tell really, isn't it? But then, what can we expect at our age :lol:

I'm fairly sure they'll tell your GP but no harm in doing a belt and braces job yourself. 24Th is not long to go. I hope it all goes very well.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks, Sticky. I've made an appointment to see my GP on 22nd August - the earliest I could get! All the hospital information is only sent to the GP after the operation, but I can still tell him what the results were and see what he says. Even though it's 'trivial', I still wonder whether an annual check might be a good idea. We'll see. :-)

Off to buy a Limbo now so I can have a bath/shower after the op. Thankfully, the surgeon doesn't put the hand in plaster, only soft dressings and then I get a splint made six days later.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There are some wonderful medical terms about, aren't there? I roared with laughter when my badly behaved liver was termed 'deranged' and now I can add 'trivial regurgitation' - that's a gem.

I have an appointment of my own on August 22nd but I will be thinking of you. Were you successful in finding a Limbo? DD
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Yes, ordered my Limbo, DD, thank you. I had to ask them to confirm which one was suitable for a trapeziectomy, as, for thumb injuries, it has to be a half-arm model.

I can remember being mightily amused about 'deranged' liver, too, when I was having problems with my gallbladder, which is now, thankfully, no longer with me. :D

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am pleased that you have it on order and hope it arrives in good time. Every little helps, yes? :wink: DD