When to give in and give up work?

Options
Amerififer
Amerififer Member Posts: 13
edited 16. Sep 2016, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just looking for others experiences.
My osteoarthritis has been steadily getting worse in my neck and thoracic spine. Having issues with sleeping,pain relief, numbness,tingling etc..
Waiting on referral for orthopaedic surgeons as GP can't order MRI to get a more detailed look at things. Was started on gabapentin about 6 to 8 weeks ago for nueropathic pain. Its helping some what but not enough.
It has started to effect work..
Any ideas,suggestions,experiences etc would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My situation was very different and much easier in terms of decision making. I have RA. I flared very badly after the birth of my elder son (well, also after t he younger one) and there was no question of my going back to work. I did hope to do so when both were at school but, by then, I'd have been a very unreliable employee whatever work I went for.

So, I did voluntary work. OK no pay and we really struggled for money when the kids were young but at least I felt I was contributing to society and I could choose how much I did.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I gave up teaching at 55, after having reduced my hours to 3 days a week. I have RA and associated lung issues and the combination meant I was constantly exhausted and catching endless chest infections and battling on when I probably should have taken time off....... most Friday evenings I drove home in tears and crawled in to bed without tea, really no way to live. The final straw for me was getting a horrible infection followed by pleurisy meaning I took a month off sick, I went back in and resigned then found out that my lovely head teacher had been waiting for me to make just that decision for nearly a year!

For me it was absolutely the right time, and my quality of life improved no end once I was no longer either struggling at work or worrying about being there and letting people down. I'm sure that you will know when it's time to walk away, just try to trust your instincts.

Deb x
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Yes I understand how you feel. I have just taken my pension early due to my health issues. It is a reduced pension as my condition may or may not improve.

I was in the lucky position of owning my own small business with my husband. This allowed me to continue working from 2007 when my arthritis/joint problems flared big style. If I had been working for anyone else I would have been forced to give up work at that point. My husband supported me but he retired last year and we were forced to sell our business as I was (and still am) too restricted and in too much pain to run it. This was very hard to do as we had built the business from scratch and I had to walk away from it.

I waited just over a year and tried to start a business on my own but my condition meant that I really could not continue and so for now I have stopped.

I am very lucky to have a small company pension and so this gave me an option which you and others may not have. If things improve I will work again but I do feel for now that the pressure is off with regard to claiming ESA and looking for work as I am basically unemployable until my current joint issues resolve,.

The decision is so difficult especially if you rely on your income and I feel so much for those who really have limited options financially.
  • Amerififer
    Amerififer Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I am indeed the sole worker.. I live alone with my 2 cats.. They just don't seem to want to contribute lol..

Seriously though. In order for me to retire early, I'm only 54, it would require Occupational Health to declare me unfit to work.

Had been doing relatively well, with occasional flare ups that settled. A few months ago things changed, like a flare up but constant. Lots of nerve pain and associated numbness,tingling,sharp pain etc. Mostly on the left side,occasionally now on the right.
    Thoracic area now sending pretty constant pain.. GP has referred me to Ortho as my repeat cervical x ray showed worsening of the osteo. No repeat done of thoracic. I think she is leaving that up to Ortho..
    Siggggh Its sooo discouraging to be in chronic pain .. it effects every aspect of life. I'm still able to do everything but the pain is always there... Gabapentin has helped with the cervical but not done much for the thoracic..
    Thanks for listening if you got this far.. lol Just needed to vent it to folks who understand. x
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Hello

I'm sorry to hear things have got so bad for you. I have Reactive arthritis and I first became ill at the end of April, however my symptoms were so bad I was signed off sick for 3 months and attempted a return to work in August. It didn't go at all well and I managed 3 x 3hr shifts before giving up.

I handed in my notice even though I am told that I should make a complete recovery in the next few months. I was under an enormous amount of pressure from work and was shortly heading for an absence hearing at which I was pretty sure they were going to fire me. I was lucky in that I had a very demanding fixed hours contract with them but also a zero hours contract. By resigning from my main contract I have managed to hold onto the zero hours one.

Finishing work was a devastating decision to make as I love my work but it was a huge relief and I am enjoying living without the stress. I have also already done a few very easy shifts under my zero hours contract.

I don't know if that helps, I know it is a very difficult decision to make and only you can know what is best for you. It's scary to give up work but it can be the right thing to do.

Take care

Rach x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I made the decision to go part time in April last year, I loved my job and the school I work in but couldn't manage full time any more. Under the flexible working regulations anyone is entitled to apply for this but there are some regulations and conditions and I got the support of my union which was invaluable as I had to make my application in a particular way. There was some negotiation and compromise on both sides but I am now working thre days a week which is much mor manageable. Separately as a result of HR involvement and then support from OH, I also have an "allowance" of 5 days disability related absences every three months. So far I have never needed to use a 5 but just having them helps.

I am aware of how lucky I am, but it might be worth you having a look at the flexible working regs. As a worker with a disability it is also harder for employers to refuse this, though not impossible.

Good luck
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My decision was taken away from me, I was on my way to work and my right knee gave way, I fell hitting a curb stone. (this was in 1996 I didn't know I had R.A & Osteoporosis at the time) I was taken to A & E, had an X-Ray which showed a hairline fracture on my knee cap. While I was off work I had to have a plaster cast on my leg. Around the 4th week I received a letter from my boss telling me I was fired due to the amount of time sick I had to have. I was unlucky as I had no leg to stand on (pardon the pun!) as I had only been working for the company 6mnths so couldn't appeal it. It was about 3yrs later I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis as well as Epilepsy and a couple of years later R.A.