Turned a corner?

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 19. Jul 2017, 04:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know it's early days but after several hard months I feel that I may have turned a corner as I've had 2 days of feeling 'normal'! What a lovely feeling! I just hope it lasts. Over the past 3 weeks I've reduced my work from 4 days a week to 3, I've started taking hydroxychloroquine in addition to the sulfasalazine, I've finally come off steroids (hoping my face will return to normal shape shortly) and I've started a plant based/vegan diet.

Unfortunately I don't know which of the above changes has led to my feeling of well being, perhaps a combination of them all?

Wishing you all a restful Sunday, wherever possible,

Rach xx

Comments

• stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Lovely news!! So pleased for you x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear that Rach. As you say there's no knowing which, if any, of the changes to meds etc have made a difference, but in some respects it doesn't matter. Part of it may be that you are now exerting some control over your situation, and tipping the balance of power between you and your condition is always a positive thing.
    Just remember not to get too downhearted when there are down days - focus on the good- and don't be tempted to do too much on the good days, just enjoy them for what they are.
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Really glad to hear that Rach!! Maybe it means you can now live you're life a bit more nomally.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Rach I am so pleased to hear this, small mercy's sometimes seem like such big ones..long may it continue for you...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    That's great news and well done you! getting off steroids alone is a big achievement and I'm sure the dreaded moonface will 'shrink'. (I still have photos where I tried to hide mine behind long hair.)

My guess is that the meds plus your very sensible attitude to work are combining to help.

Please do be careful about the diet. It's rarely good to exclude entire food groups. A vegan diet is very restrictive and the dangers are low levels of calcium, vitamin D, iron, vitamin B12, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids. Of course you can take supplements but best to liaise with your medical people.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Glad to hear it Rach! Long may it continue for you :) x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Following on from Sticky's comments about a vegan diet, you may have already checked this out but drugs can have an effect on the way our bodies process and use nutrients. What might be a balanced intake for a 'non-medicated' person may result in shortages in a medicated one. A pharmacist might be able to help with information about specific drugs.
    It's a difficult area to get decent information on. The medical profession is taking a long time to get to grips with the role of nutrition in health(I'm not talking here about the public health 5 a day type things), and a great deal of what purports to be 'scientifically proved' information on the internet has very little to do with science! I came up against this when I was diagnosed with severe lumbar osteoporosis and was trying to establish ways to optimise calcium intake and absorption. 'Bio-available' is the key, not total nutrient content.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Rach :)

I am so glad to hear your news. Your face will soon return to normal, which I am sure will be very welcome :)

I hope the result lasts a long, long time :D

My sister is vegan and well-able to maintain her dietary needs. She is just extra careful with her food and knows what to eat. I am sure you are doing the same.

I have been having problems with my sinuses and the consultant suggested I try dairy-free for while amongst other things. I have been trying each suggestion one at a time so I know which if any help :D

Take care

Toni xx