Unable to Sleep

Options
Polly66
Polly66 Member Posts: 12
edited 20. Sep 2017, 17:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
So as usual I'm not able to sleep due to the pain.. Also pondering over recent blood results. I have OA for many years and recently struggling with gout!
Results show raised esr and crp with a note suggesting inflammation.

GP has told me in the past that OA is not inflammatory, so wondering why it's raised. Can you have an inflammatory type of OA?

Thanks Polly

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,433
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Polly a while back someone on here mentioned a form of inflammatory osteoarthritis...I might be wrong it was a few years back now. Might be worth a 'search'??

However I am sure other things can raise your markers too such as fighting an infection even a cold. I know this because when my youngest was fighting leukaemia 'infection markers' were a warning sign that she was going to be ill. They were our ESRs amongst others if I remember rightly.

Ignoring this, life is really hard when we are awake and in pain :( My GP prescribed me a low dose of amitriptyline to help me sleep, muscles relax a bit and thereby feel much better in the morning.

I do hope things ease for you soon ((()))

Love

Toni xx
  • Polly66
    Options
    Thanks Toni for your reply...

Tried many different pain killers but as I work full time (a struggle) I have to be careful of those that make me feel like a zombie in the morning. Looks like inflammatory markers have been raised now for quite a while. Might do a bit more research into inflammatory OA.

Thanks again :-)
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Losing sleep is so demoralising isn't it Polly, I empathise. :(

I think that gout is inflammatory and may account for your raised inflammatory markers if your bloods were taken during a gout episode.

Do things like a warm bath or a hot pack help to soothe your pain? I'm now trying an aloe vera gel rub which is supposed to help pain-not sure how much good it's doing, but it acts like a freeze gel and at least seems to numb things for a short while....and it smells quite nice :) .

Deb x
  • Polly66
    Options
    Deb

Thanks for the quick reply, maybe the gout has something to do with the raised inflammation, although those results showed normal levels since being on the allopurinol. Today has been a bit better.. Will definitely try the Aloe Vera gel, I'll try anything.

I'm glad I have found this forum - everyone has been lovely. :-)