Longevity of the Steroid Shot?

Options
Inflexible
Inflexible Member Posts: 31
edited 15. Nov 2017, 11:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I've been on methotrexate for the past six weeks, having been on prednisolone for several months before that. When my rheum. consultant decided to put me on the methotrexate, she started proceedings by giving me what I presume was a pretty hefty shot of steroids in the leg.

I'm guessing that this must be the case for a lot of other arthritis sufferers and I'm wondering what the typical effective period is for this injection? I was told up to twelve weeks, but after about six weeks I'm finding the effects have pretty much worn off and I'm struggling with a low dose of prednisolone (down to 5mg) and of course, the methotrexate hasn't began to work yet.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their thoughts on this. I feel like I've taken a bit of a step backwards, really struggling with my hands (nearly dropped a kettle this morning) and my pelvis and glutes are very painful.

Martyn

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How long's a piece of string :roll: Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules. For some people they don't help at all, others get only a few days. I reckon 6-8 weeks is about normal.

Re kettles - I hold mine with 2 hands, one on the side handle and the other underneath it.

I do hope the meth will kick in soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my experience for my auto-immune arthritis there was a minimal improvement for around three days and then it was back to normal. For my osteo it worked much better, lasting for around three months but of course it wore off. I don't bother with them now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    I had a steroid injection in my left knee last August, and that lasted a whole 4 months. I then had a second one back in October, and that lasted 2 days, so they can be fickle.

As others have metioned, everyone reacts differently to them, but they can give you a bit of a "breather", they are not a long term solution.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Inflexible
    Options
    OK, thanks. Seems it's pretty subjective then ... I felt an immediate overall improvement myself and it allowed me to drop my daily prednisolone by 3mg, however the effect is definitely on the wane. I rang the rheumatology nurse today and I don't think she's keen on my getting another one for the time being, I understand it was meant to be a bit of a "helper" until the methotrexate begins to work.

Martyn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Steroids are useful as a short-term fix but if over-used they bring their own complications which is why the injections are rationed. They are not selective in what they affect, they thin all body tissues, not just the recalcitrant ones. I had a bone density scan and discovered that mine were thinning thanks to the steroids so that is why I stopped them (I knew that my heart, lungs and other organs would also be affected). My hospital has changed its thinking on their use and now offer the tablets as a short, sharp shock to a) bring quick relief and b) to reduce the weaning off period. When do you hope to begin the meth? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I normally find it takes upto a week to get full benefit, which lasts for 4-6 weeks, then the arthritis reasserts itself- but that period of relief is blissful :D .

Hope the meth starts to give you some relief soon.

Deb
  • Inflexible
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Steroids are useful as a short-term fix but if over-used they bring their own complications which is why the injections are rationed. They are not selective in what they affect, they thin all body tissues, not just the recalcitrant ones. I had a bone density scan and discovered that mine were thinning thanks to the steroids so that is why I stopped them (I knew that my heart, lungs and other organs would also be affected). My hospital has changed its thinking on their use and now offer the tablets as a short, sharp shock to a) bring quick relief and b) to reduce the weaning off period. When do you hope to begin the meth? DD

That makes sense, I can see why they might be rationed. I'm actually in week 7 of my meth treatment and reduced to 4.5mg prednisolone per day with strict instructions to reduce to zero soonest. I go back to see rheumy nurse on 29th and I guess she'll make a decision whether I get another shot in the leg. I'd like it as crutch to get me off the prednisolone, I must admit.