Hello

Options
Rosebay
Rosebay Member Posts: 17
edited 4. Feb 2018, 09:44 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone, I've never used a forum before so please be patient with me. I was diagnosed in July 2017 but they don't know what type I have. My mother had Psoriatic Arthritis, and they jumped on that, but I didn't have normal symptoms and also had Lymes Disease 9 years ago. So they just call it RA because the treatment is the same. I didn't have symptoms, it was diagnosed after surgery for something else. I've had osteoarthritis for years, and a very heavy manual job which always hurt to do but I could mostly cope with that type of pain as simple Ibuprofen and rest/exercise managed it fine. I was started on Methotrexate and persisted with it for 4 months but had severe side effects and liver problems on it. They changed it to Sulphasalazine 7 weeks ago and I had two episodes 4 weeks apart of the most screaming pain ever. First in one hip and unable to weightbear (ended up in hospital), then both shoulders at the same time with no relief until I got given oral steroids. I've been back to see Consultant who has upped the Sulpha and wants to add Hydroxycloriquine. Neither of us are convinced Sulpha will work. My question really is - pain and stiffness with my OA is normal and bearable, but how do you all cope with the rapid onset (2 hours) severe flare and totally unable to move/weightbear? Do you get drugs to keep at home for this? I'm terrified about another flare and would really appreciate advice, thanks everyone.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rosebay and welcome to the forums.

Living with rheumatoid arthritis with painful flares can be very difficult and finding a way of coping and treating the flares can be a long process.

The descriptive page “Arthritis Symptoms” on the web site has some useful links https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/symptoms

including a link to our “Living with rheumatoid arthritis” booklet which has a useful section on coping with flare ups.

Many of our lovely forum members experience regular flares in their symptoms and I’m sure you will get good personal advice from them.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I wish I could advise but not really. I've had RA for about 56 years and OA for a few less. I agree with your analysis about the differences in when OA bites and RA flares. I'm fortunate that methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine control my RA well but, in the bad old days, before I got on them, virtually nothing would stop a flare other than upping the meds dose or changing the meds or - last resort - a course of steroids. I think it would be a good topic to discuss at your next rheumatology appointment though, if you're flaring regularly, I suspect the DMARDS aren't working well enough.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright