Annual Rheumology Appointment.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 10. Aug 2018, 11:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ooooh, I've invented a new word for that department, I rather like it!

Yesterday was my now annual appointment at the hospital and as usual I didn't see my consultant, just a nurse. Appointments are yearly due to the ever-increasing numbers of newly-diagnosed patients and the static number of staff to deal with them. Being an old hand at this malarkey that doesn't unduly bother me but what I wish I had asked was whether that also applied to the new recruits. It must be rather alarming to be told here are the meds, take them and get in touch if needed - I know what that means but in my early days I wouldn't have had a clue. :lol: The appointment itself was so formulaic it really wasn't worth going, I could have done it all by myself at home. :roll: I felt cared for back at the beginning, now I feel somewhat abandoned to the swelling ocean of PsA but having twenty-plus years under my arthritic belt reassures me somewhat.

I recall my consultant saying to me some years ago that rheumatology is an unusual department as no-one is ever discharged as being dealt with (such as maternity or orthopaedics) or cured (such as oncology). We stay in thrall to the dark arts of the DMARDs, anti-TNFs and NSAIDs until our time on this planet is ended. I guess that's my third certainty of life. :lol: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ooooh, I've invented a new word for that department, I rather like it!
    An opportunity to rheuminate DD.....which you have done in this post.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Careful, DD, or you'll be starting a rheumor.

I actually rather like being abandoned for 12 months. It makes me feel I must be better than I am :wink: Anyway, time speeds up as you get older. I remember once thinking they'd sent for me rather early. It turned out it was actually 15 months :o I just swallow the pills and .... I almost typed 'cough up' the blood. That's not quite what I meant :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh very witty you two! :lol: Have I crossed the Rheubicon? :wink:

I can see what you mean, Sticky, it is kinda reassuring that I am a big girl now and trusted to manage all on my own; my feeling this way makes no sense as I used to grumble about always going to the hospital (because that is how it felt with the fortnightly bloods and three-monthly appointments). Now I tend to forget to do my bloods :wink: and grumble because my annual appointment intrudes upon my very busy life-style. :lol:

The temperature here today is at least eight degrees cooler than yesterday which is helping the fibro, I am not as tired and will later go for a walk. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    DD I may have "few appointment" envy. 12 years in and I'm still on 6 (or3) monthly hospital appointments-usually alternating between the rheumy nurse and the Registrar-very rarely the consultant which is kind of comforting as he tends to see the trickier cases. I find the Registrars pleasant and less rushed generally. As for bloods, because my Leflunomide knocks my neutrophils down I still have fortnightly bloods done at GP's and reported to rheumatology.

Arthritis just keeps on giving doesn't it. Today I'm weary after a sleepless night with pain in my feet and hands, and the blinking heat making me wheezy every night-it's worse than it has been in years just lately.

OK, moan over, I feel particularly lucky that the NHS looks after me so well , the local pharmacist is so helpful and thorough, and the weather is dry enough for a walk every morning before it gets too hot.

Hope you're happily getting on with your busy life today.

Deb xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi DD. From what I’ve heard, rheumatology clinics are under increasing strain but I doubt it’s any different to many other parts of the NHS. I’m seen biannually and always by the same actual consultant. Disappointingly, she’s retired and after knowing her for many years, I wonder what lies ahead. I’m seeing someone next week but I wonder who? I do feel we are often left to get on with things. Some of the medications we take have considerable side effects and we should be given the opportunity to discuss. I was told people on anti TNFs have to be seen by a consultant every 6 months or perhaps that’s just policy in my trust?
  • ted48
    ted48 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi DD. it seems like everyone has mixed fortunes with regard to Hospital appointments I see the Consultant every six months and nurse every three months and blood tests every eight weeks so I am well cared for but it does seem sometimes very much a routine and for me it always seems I have an appointment when things are going well. But once I remember seeing the nurse and she asked me how do I feel rate of 0/10 I said six she looked at me in disbelief as if to say it can't be I said my knees are painful and stiff and have thearable fatigue ok she said and sent me for a blood test two days later she phone me to say your inflammatory makers are very high luckily it settled down at the next blood test. sorry to go on a bit but it goes to show that one they don't always listen to how you feel and two regular appointments and blood tests are important to say the least.
    Ted48
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's how things used to be for me, Ted; I would alternately see my consultant and a rheumatology nurse every three months, I went weekly to the hospital for my meth injections where my booklet was filled in with my fortnightly then monthly test results. A human used to answer the Helpline, now that's a permanent answerphone and I only hear about bloods when someone's bothered about something (which is fine by me).

My hospital (Ipswich) is in the process of merging with Colchester General so staff numbers are being reduced whilst patient numbers increase. The Bean Counters who thought up this wizard wheeze seem to be unable to comprehend that the reductions and increases correspond with the inability to meet targets. DD