Do you ever......

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 1. Mar 2019, 06:58 in Chit chat
…..have to just stop whatever you're doing to listen to a piece of music?

I was busy making a lasagne this afternoon when the Adagio from Spartacus (Theme from the Onedin line for oldsters) came on the radio. In such circumstances I have to stop, close my eyes in order to concentrate, grasp something solid so that I don't then fall over :roll: , and listen for as long as it takes.

Loads of music can do this to me. It's a wonder I get any work done:

Verdi – Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves
Bruckner – Locus Iste
Chopin – Most of him
Leonard Cohen – Hallelujah (but only if it's him singing it)
Parry – I Was Glad
etc etc

What does it for you?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I was listening to Alfie Boe while drifting into an afternoon snooze when Scarlett Ribbons came on my dads image flashed into my mind ,he used to sing it to me and my sisters.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have a love for Baroque music, a very limited time span when it was created but I am perfectly preoared to dtift off into deep relaxation with it. Borodin rules!

Other brands available, haha.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Mig - Scarlet Ribbons featured regularly on 'Uncle Mac's' Saturday radio programme for kids when I was one. I think it was the silky voice of Harry Belafonte though lots have recorded it. Thank God my Dad never sang to me. He was tone deaf :D

Airwave - 'Proper' musicians all rate Bach as one of the finest ever. I also like Handel and Haydn not to mention Monteverdi. I remember being told that Baroque music was 'intellectual' music as opposed to the more emotional music of the romantics. Borodin? I'm shamefully ignorant of most of his stuff. What do you recommend?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright