Hello Everyone

Options
kc36
kc36 Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi
Just signed up! Was recently diagnosed with Cervical Spondylitis and on Monday an x-ray revealed I've now got Arthritis in my pelvis. In a way it's good to finally put a label on the agony I've been experiencing these past few months, and despite taking pain killers (which aren't helping very well) I don't really know how to help ease the pain. I am moving to another county in a few weeks so once registered with a new GP and my medical records have been transferred I'm really hoping I can get some help with this painful condition, its walking which is the worst, especially when carrying something such as a shopping bag. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what I can do to ease the symptoms? Thanks in advance x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome,you might wish to take a look at our leaflet https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis
    I hope that helps but any questions do not hesitate to ask.
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have both psoriatic and osteoarthritis and know that pain relief isn't and doesn't; it merely dulls the sharper edges of the pain which is enough to enable me to get on. I began with one affected joint, now it's around forty so pain is constant.

My OA affects both ankles, both knees, both hips and my neck, other joints too, so I take a small but constant amount of my pain relief which allows me to increase when necessary. I rest as much as I can, have walked with aids for years which has helped me to preserve a good range of movement in my hips, and I exercise sensibly and appropriately to keep my muscles as strong and flexible as possible. Shopping is easily dealt with by using either my rollator bag or, before I needed things to hold on to to get around, a shopping trolley (not a granny tartan one I hasten to add). Good luck with the move abroad, if it is to warmer climes then maybe that will help the arthritis: not much else can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kc36
    Options
    Oops just had to edit my post! I'm moving to a new county not country lol x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Where did the opening post go? :? DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    There is spondylosis and then there is spondylitis. Spondylosis is a form of osteoarthritis and is dealt with, by the GP, with anti-inflammatories and pain relief. Spondylitis, which you have, and which was presumably diagnosed by a rheumatologist, is an autoimmune disease which requires disease modifying meds, possibly alongside the others. Has your rheumatologist prescribed these?

Having moved house fairly recently I can tell you that transfer of medical records is simple but you'd be advised to sort out a new GP asap and take a current prescription with you to expedite matters. You'll almost certainly have a longish wait to see a new rheumatologist.

Personally, I'd see your current GP to ask what your best course of action is re meds to tide you over. As for pain - I find exercise is the best remedy (I have RA and OA) but I'd have thought that carrying shopping, especially unless the load is balanced either side, is not great for your back. i get my main groceries delivered now. A shopping trolley, for extras, might help but ensure the handle is the right height for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Glad the first post has reappeared, things make sense again! I knew there were two spondys but could not recall which was which: thanks for the clarification Sticky!

What meds have you been given? DD
  • kc36
    Options
    I've probably put the wrong Spondy by the sound of it! Think mine is the wear and tear version of the spine, it's weird as I was originally being treated with physio on my neck and upper back, but that seems ok now and the pain has gone into my pelvic area, and that affects my walking, I'm hoping I'm just having a bit of a flare up and the pain will ease off like it did before
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I hope so too. You could try some of these exercises. They might help. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/exercise/exercises-to-manage-pain/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright