Ankle replacement

Options
Sissyandfred
Sissyandfred Member Posts: 12
edited 4. Sep 2019, 01:28 in Living with arthritis
Anyone had a total ankle replacement rather than a fusion?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The short answer is 'no, not me' but I know I've read somewhere reliable that fusions are, basically, more successful. If you look under the 'Treatments.......' section on the grey menu above, there's info on it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    there is two parts to your ankle , the main joint they can replace, the lower ankle joint (sideways movement) they cant replace & have to fuse & if you have problems with this joint they cant do a replacement on the main joint .

look up a triple ankle fusion , its the three bones in your heel they fuse & the benifits is to be pain free , they can give you a brace so you fine out what its like to be fuse or give you a anesthetic injection into the joints & find the pain free for a few minutes , doing nothing is not realy a option , maybe put it off but dont leave it to long & take the advice from your consultant
  • Sissyandfred
    Sissyandfred Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks. So far Iv had very little advise apart from ‘come back when you decide to have a fusion’. Do u think I should just ask my doctor for a consultation about TAR?
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Thanks. So far Iv had very little advise apart from ‘come back when you decide to have a fusion’. Do u think I should just ask my doctor for a consultation about TAR?
    which part of your ankle they want to fuse ? , most people it the heel but if its the main ankle joint then ask your GP , would not hurt to talk to him anyway for advice ,

the only advice is not to leave it to long but talk to your GP about that
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Sissyandfred

You may find some useful information to help you decide what to do on our page about foot/ankle surgery:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/foot-and-ankle-surgery/

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • remmingtonwildhunter
    remmingtonwildhunter Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Ive had a tallus fushion best thing ive hadndone two years of walking like a penguin they open the front of the foot realign then then put two screws in the joint back and side 3 months in plaster air boot for 8 weeks then learn to walk again...
    Ive still got pain but as a gardener im on my feet got to have a navicular fushion next year the bonr that makes your ankle go from side to side...
    Not sure how oldnyou are but they dont like replacing the ankle if your under 60 if it dosent work you will have a big hole there...
    There is a trial going one that a computer picks which opp you have ar or fushion cant remember what its called...
    If you want me to send you my xray of my ankle let me know asthe files toomig to lost on here thanks Peter..