Mattress help

Options
Kmit
Kmit Member Posts: 10
edited 7. Nov 2019, 00:39 in Living with arthritis
Hi. I’d like. Some advice on mattresses. I like previous writers struggle with pain, mainly In my hips, when trying to sleep. I think I may need to invest in a new mattress. Does anyone have a recommendation? I realise it won’t be cheap so I need to know I’m making the right choice. Also any advice on pillows would be great too. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good morning kmit
    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find the members are friendly, will offer support, information, suggestions, advice and also some light relief. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis "hanger ons" or care for family with the same. Please remember we are all volunteers and have no medical training.

Buying a mattress is a personal choice, it might be helpful to go into a store which sells them and ask if you can try them out.
    There is an article in the "treatments, aids and equipment" section, which you will see on one of the buttons at the top of this page, that talks about mattresses.

It would be good, if you could reply telling us more about yourself and about what type of arthritis you have. Most people use the Living with Arthritis section of the forum and there you will be likely to get more replies.

I look forward to seeing future posts by you.

Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options
    Greetings. Well what a subject you have raised. I have spent hundreds on trying to find a pillow which negates the pain caused by my spinal and neck problems (OA and Degenerative Facet Joint Disease) to no avail. I bought yet another new pillow last week - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078WRHW9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - which thus far seems to help a bit but what the long-term use of it will be is anyone's guess. Similarly with mattresses there are numerous types with associated promises and, again, I have tried a few over the years. My current mattress has internal springs (real springs, not memory foam springs) which is about the most comfortable I have had so far. What I did was research via the internet for mattresses recommended for OA but my ultimate decision was to go along to a bed showroom and actually try all that they had available. The shop I went to - https://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/sleeppro/ - had the system which checks out your pressure points and they advise on suitable mattresses for you, I found the people in the shop very helpful and knowledgeable. Despite all of the foregoing I still wake up in agony after getting only 3 hours kip on average. All in all I get a better sleep in my reclining chair!
  • Kmit
    Options
    Thanks Mike1

It sounds sadly like you’ve been suffering for a while. I hate not getting a decent sleep. I have RH in most of my body with different parts jostling for attention lol. I’m going to try the bensons bed idea you gave me sounds just what I need, because I can start off fine but within the hour I’m sore and awake. I wasn’t there when my current mattress was bought (and not as sore) all I know was I paid a lot for it, so you’d expect it to be good. Seeing specifically where my pressure points are sounds like it could help. I’m also away too look at the pillow you recommended. Thanks Mike
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi. My mattress is great for supporting my joints. It has a thin layer of memory foam built in although not full memory. If I’m staying in a hotel I ask for 2 duvets to be placed on top of the mattress for support. Nothing worse than sleeping on concrete.
  • Kmit
    Options
    Thanks Jackie. That’s something I can do right now.