Hello all! How's it going?

Options
MazFox26
MazFox26 Member Posts: 9
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Just interested in how many people have had a letter regarding the Shielding Plan? I had a look at NHS England's Advice for Rheumatologists and the meds I am taking are definitely on there, but no letter as yet. Any thoughts?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

HI MazFox,

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I'm sure there are other people in the same boat as you waiting for their letter.

Hopefully forums members will be able to share their experiences and shed some light on how long you'll have to wait.

Best wishes

Chrisb (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I haven't had a letter and am not expecting one as I no longer work. I know I am in a higher-risk category as I inject two immuno-suppressants and have the annual flu jab so I am staying within the confines of my house and garden. If I was still working then yes, maybe I would get a letter or be sent home and rightly so because I would be a clear and present danger to others. We know that people can be unaware they have it so have no idea they are infectious. Likewise us, due to the immuno-suppression we don't produce symptoms until something has a real hold.

I could be wrong but I would not be surprised if arthritics come low on the list of priorities - unfair maybe but logical. Those with cancer, CF or other conditions that kill must come first. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Eir23
    Eir23 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi
    I received a text message on Monday, then the letter on Tuesday. Everyone in the highest risk group will receive one regardless of whether they work or not. I work full time, a friend not working has also received it.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options

All depends on our GPs or Consultants as it is they who are posting out our letters/sending texts I believe.  I don't expect one despite also having a lung condition as my GPs are a wee bit naff.

Like DD I will be behaving anyway😊

• MazFox26
    Options

Bit of an update today. I spoke to GP surgery who tell me that they aren't sending the letters out, they are going out from the hospital departments to people who are under hospital supervision. The nurse I spoke to said I would definitely be in the high risk group, therefore isolating for 12 weeks.

I wasn't entirely surprised but just wanted to say Hi and I think I will be here a lot, as you lot seem very nice!!

Love and light.

M

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Lovely M please do 'be here a lot' everyone really is very nice!

Ellen

• dreamdaisy
    Options

Like the man who sat up all night waiting for the sun it suddenly dawned on me: working or retired is immaterial. What a twerp you can be, DD. 😀

I haven't had a letter from my hospital which does not surprise me, they failed to write to me last year to tell me they had moved me from humira to imraldi so if that wasn't rated important enough this deffo won't be. It would be easier in some ways if I had an official note but I have enough other officialese if necessary, e.g. I will put my PIP award letter in my handbag.

I am leaving the house tomorrow for bloods in the surgery car park - or maybe not: my surgery was on the local news last night showing off its delivery of PPE for dealing with their 35, 000 patients: ten plastic aprons and 100 plastic welding-type goggles. DD

• MazFox26
    Options

DD you are so funny.... like the man who sat up all night...… I will definitely try to remember that one!!

A friend phoned me last night to chat, as her husband has had his letter from the same hospital department that I'm under. His surname begins with D and mine with F, so I'm hoping they will get to me soon. I pity the poor people called Zane, or something like that; this will all be over before they get theirs!!

I hope your trip out was ok. The PPE thing is worrying. I usually work for the NHS and one of my colleagues rang me for a chat last Friday. She said that a patient leaned over the reception counter, broke off some squares from a chocolate from a bar she was eating and offered these to my colleague. I think my friend thought I'd wandered off the phone somewhere but truth was, I just couldn't speak with shock!! (Which is very unlike me!!)

It's not the world that's scary, it's some of the folks wandering it!!

• dreamdaisy
    Options

The man and the sun was one of my Dad's old saws, I have a stock of them: same dog, different piece of string is a favourite (whereas a friend has it as same dog, different lead).

The bloods was . . . not enjoyable. I arrived on time at 8.04 and they finally swung into action about an hour later. They saw their first patient, whose appointmwnt was 7.55, at 8.20 then no-one until 8.55. I handed over the 'Thank you' card I had made for the surgery and said they were lucky I made it yesterday as my opinion of their service had dropped somewhat. People do understand that the service is under pressure but when the professionals start taking the mick by opening the door every ten minutes or so only to announce the surgery is still closed tempers will flare. An ever-lengthening queue of high-risk people snaked along the road in temperatures of two degrees, if we didn't have it before we stand a pretty good chance of having it now despite being six feet apart. DD