Methotrexate issues??

Options
Laura83
Laura83 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Good Morning,
I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis early 2019, was started on sulfazalazine however 5 months into taking it my bloods started to come back abnormal due to low white cell count.
I was advised to stop and see Rheum in the Dec.
After seeing Rheum I was advised to start Methotrexate, commenced it late feb ‘20 other than the continual nausea I haven’t had any major issues however same thing has happened again nearly 5 months later and not at the full prescribed dose my white cell count has dropped and I’ve been advised to stop the MTX Tablet form, get my bloods back to normal then recommence On MTX injections.
Has anyone else had these issues, experience they can share?

Comments

• AlanM
    AlanM Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi @Laura83

welcome to the forum and thankyou for posting.

You were diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year and, having encountered problems with the initial medication, on the advice of your rheumatologist, started on Methotrexate earlier this year. After a period of stability, things have changed and you are again being advised to make some significant changes, in particular moving on to injections.

You may already have browsed the Versus Arthritis website but, if not, please have a look at the pages on methotrexate

For reassurance, it might also be worth talking to our Helpline staff. You can call them for free, Mon-Fri (9am-8pm) on 0800 5200 520.

And, of course, others on the forum will hopefully be able to offer their experience and perspective to help you work through the current issues.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Best wishes

Alan

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Sadly no, I haven't so can't help. Tablet meth gave me a rash, now I am on injections and have been for years. I still do the medication in the afternoon so I can sleep through the initial impact but all I get now is being occasionally extra tired a day or so after the jab. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Laura83
    Laura83 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you kindly Alan :)