Hello!

Options
Alexc26
Alexc26 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

My name is Alex and I’m 26 I have arthritis in my hip and spine. It runs in my family to the point of wheelchair use and joint replacements so I am worried about how I am going to be. I’m hoping to talk to people to realise things will be ok 😊

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 21. Aug 2020, 18:59
    Options

Hi @Alexc26

you have posted twice I have left my welcome and advice on Readers say Hi

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Hi @Alexc26

Good to meet you.

I can imagine you feel apprehensive about the future with your family history. Fear of the unknown is the hardest thing to cope with for definite, but whatever happens you will cope with it. We have no choice but to play the hand we are dealt.

At 16 (and 3 weeks) my own daughter was diagnosed with leukaemia. She had 2 and a half years of chemotherapy and steroids which damaged her bones - avascular necrosis. She is now 22 and has had hip surgery and a new shoulder joint. She is doing absolutely fine 🙂

I think what l am trying to say is none of us know for sure what is ahead of us, but you will be ok whatever happens. I am glad I didn't know what we would have to deal with when she was born I might have worried for her for 16 years. Luckily I didn't so I enjoyed her and she enjoyed her life. Worrying won't change the outcome, but might make you unhappy and stressed now and not enjoy your life to the full.

In your shoes I would use the forewarning to look after myself. I would eat well exercise sensibly and apart from that do everything I love doing.

Take care