Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Hi everyone been very busy the last couple of days. Have not had a lot of tim3 to post . However I must post this picture of my beautiful Lillie ready for 1st. Day back at school yesterday mornIng

Love and sparkles to you all just had to post picture and couldn’t wait until tomorrow. 🌈🌈❤️❤️

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

What a time I had with my phone..no trouble receiving all my stuff from my old phone..but no passwords..had to reset the lot.... but the banking well least said...hahaha

Toni I have Samsung phone its easy to transfers stuff..but blimey all the passwords..

Your car is a little beauty..and with the top down and the wind in your hair...wow..xx

Joan I got there in the end ..thank you again for all the hugs...they do mean alot.. love to all of you.. xx

Kath never mind you are gear now..with a lovely poem..so much you can read into it...

And thayou for the butternut quash recipe I still haven't tried this..keep saying I will try it in soup...xx

Carol Lillie is not Little anymore bless her..she looks so proud in her uniform...:)xx

Right I am off before my eyes go

Love to everyone

Xxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Good morning everyone 🙂 I have woken to sunshine how lovely is this? I can let Penelope have her roof down again!

Kath I love risotto! Paul doesn't - nothing with rice or pasta🙄

I lost my post the day before too Kath and it was a good one 😕, but at least i know what i did to be fair.

Now the poem not a long one....was it about birds flying south?? If not i still liked it very much. Atmospheric pic to go with too thank you I hope today is a good one for you.

Joan yes! My brother spotted me taking Kari to the post office! Wouldn't be able to get up to anything in her will I? Now do you think Aidan would have liked her? The answer is YES and Bill does too🙂

Lilllie looks adorable Carol and so healthy after being so poorly ! I bet she loved her first day back. Great pic and of course you had to post it straight away!

Now I let google save all my passwords Barbara so most of them - not all i missed a few important ones though luckily not the bank - just appeared. Other than that there they are all your photos isn't it great?!

I forgot to remind you about choir last night. Still it was only a meeting to discuss how we should meet from now onwards. Or 'going forward' as they say now🙄Trendy talk🙄

I took Penelope with me so my neighbour could see her. Well i had little choice poor Dudley has a poorly foot - shoe as Aidan would have said. A flat tyre. Is he protesting maybe at the arrival of his little sister?

Now your phone is done and like me you will be sorted for a few years now🙂REST those eyes.

Friday breakfast???

Hmmmm

mostly for Kath but we can all enjoy them!

except me...!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I'm sorry you had that problem yesterday . as long has you are all alright that's good.

love to Chris ((())) Anita (((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) have a good day and Mr B ((())) and your Son (((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((())))

Toni ((())) have a good day and weekend love to Paul (((!))) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Tia ((()))Lucy ((())) Kari (((()))Prom (((())))

Love to Bill ((())Chris (((()))) Carol (((()))) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options

Good morning everyone hope you're all as well as can be, today is a year since I was told I was cancer free and rang the bell,I wouldn't have got through it all if it hadn't been for the support I got from family, friends and all you folk on here Im so grateful to all of you and for the care I got from the NHS who deserve all the plaudits that has been said about them.Tonight we are going out for a meal to celebrate.Amazing what a year can do to someones hair had it cut a good few times but Im keeping it short not quite this short though.Love you all (((()))).

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem

Tired

I'm tired of this cancer lark

it isn't a walk in the park!

What with clinics and tests

there's no time for rests

and my sleep fairy now is a pest!!

I'm bored with being fat and bald

it really makes you feel old!

I don't know about you

but at just sixty two

there are things I still want to do!!

I've left the poetry group. That didn't last long did it. I just can't be bothered. Besides, I can find some pretty good poems written by other people. So I repeat, why bother.

I've lost my diary! ☹️ Not that there was much in it any way, just a few bible scriptures each day and when I change my patches. Talking of which, yesterday my pharmacist deliveredsome new patches. The surgery rang me to tell me that my GP had replaced the brand I was on (Matrifen) with a different brand (Fencino). They are still Fentanyl and still the same dose but they are easier to get out of the package and stick on better. So I'm very pleased.

mig, is it one year already? Where did the time go? 💖

Joan, how is Sue and the doggies? 🐕️

Toni, you know what I like don't you. ☺️

Carol, oh WOW, what a beauty Lillie is, and so smart in her school uniform on.

Barbara, isn't it annoying when you are in the middle of something and your eyes fail you. 😕

Apple and pecan porridge with maple syrup

Ingredients

Basic porridge

• 160 grams rolled oats
    • 600 milliliters organic soya milk

Apple & pecan topping

• 30 grams unsalted pecans
    • 1 eating apple
    • Maple syrup

Method

1. For the basic porridge, place the oats and the milk (or 600ml water) into a large pan over a medium heat, and add a tiny pinch of sea salt.
    2. Bring to a steady simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often to give you a smooth, creamy porridge, and loosening with extra milk, if needed.
    3. Serve as is, or while it’s blipping away in the pan, follow the next steps to prepare the apple and pecan topping.
    4. Snap the pecans up into little pieces, then toast in a small dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly golden.
    5. Remove the apple stalk then use a box grater to coarsely grate it onto a chopping board (core and all).
    6. Stir the grated apple and a little maple syrup through then porridge then divide between bowls.
    7. Scatter the pecans on top then drizzle with a little extra maple syrup, if you like.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all..its been a really nice sunny day..so I pottered

Toni I bet your neighbours were pleased to see Penelope..and with her top down..ooh thats sounds cheeky...hahaha..you go girl..

Thankyou for the perfect eggs on toast ..strange but google didn't remember all my passwords...xx

Mig how lovely to see and hear from you..1 year already.. you fought back and won..glad we were of some help...it was you that did all the hard work...you take care..xx

Kath the poetry group was short lived.. but you gave it a go.. that is a sad poem.. but you are another that fought cancer and win bless..thankyou fir the porridge recipe..I am always looking for new ones..glad your patches are sorted xx

Joan..is your boiler behaving its that time of the year...to be honest I have never know it to be so chilly ..in early September ...love to all if you xxx

No Niamh tiday she is back at school so not taking any chances...its a full class now

Love to everyone

Xxxxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

P took this pic of me in Penelope yesterday

Will reply to everyone properly tomorrow 🥰

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning! another sunny start to the day here 🙂

Hope everyone is well.

mig that is a fabulous post I am over the moon for you and offer my most happy CONGRATULATIONS

I am ringing this too. Enjoy your celebrations you deserve it!

Morning Kath. So the poetry group wasn't for you? We like your poems as they are to be fair so you just carry on as you are😘

What a resourceful GP to find you a new patch to try I hope your skin tolerates them well.🤞

I do indeed know what you like. Though today is AIdan's breakfast....got to be! His Saturday treat with his best French butter.

Thank YOU for the porridge very very healthy that I love the stuff Kari is trying Tesco's own reduced sugar soya milk and it's lovely.

Barbara you are very wise to dodge Niamh..... life has got riskier. I read that our masks might reduce any 'hit' we get of the virus if someone has it so we have enough time to make antibodies and can fight the infection.

I'm not at all sure about choir. Our choir mistress said we could take off our masks inside if we were 2m apart🤔 so they all did except me and one or two others.

My neighbours loved Penelope...the retro lights the colour her tiny size, all the chrome inside etc...

I have joined the Figaro Owners Club!! yes I have! Proper geek me and got tickets to go to the 30th anniversary bash in June.

Hi Joan love to you too ((())) I hope you have some of this sunshine we have here. P rang me last night we were chatting of 3/4 of an hour!

Take care everyone

Aidan's Saturday breakfast.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Mig (()) a year already you have done good I'm pleased for you.

Carol ((())) lovely photo of Lillie she looks proud.

Kath ((())) yes it's frustrating when you loose a post I know. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((()) and Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) yes our boilers working thank you. Love to Mr B((())) and your son (((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) lovely car Did Kari like it ((())) it looks comfortable to ride. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Tia ((())) Lucy ((())) and Pom ((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    edited 5. Sep 2020, 13:06
    Options

Daily Poem

The Laughing Child

W. S. Merwin - 1927-2019

When she looked down from the kitchen window

into the back yard and the brown wicker

baby carriage in which she had tucked me

three months old to lie out in the fresh air

of my first January the carriage

was shaking she said and went on shaking

and she saw I was lying there laughing

she told me about it later it was

something that reassured her in a life

in which she had lost everyone she loved

before I was born and she had just begun

to believe that she might be able to

keep me as I lay there in the winter

laughing it was what she was thinking of

later when she told me that I had been

a happy child and she must have kept that

through the gray cloud of all her days and now

out of the horn of dreams of my own life

I wake again into the laughing child

Barbara, My daughter Emily had all week with the year 7 class. The rest of school start back next week. She is now training to be a counsellor, She has always been interested in mental health, and almost all the children are suffering from anxiety, so her new skills will be well used. Esme is only 6, so she isn't anxious at all, she's very happy to be back with her friends. I'm sure Niamh is too.

Toni, what a dinky car, I love it, it's very you. Thank you for Aidan's breakfast - he did love his croissants and strong coffee. 😘

Joan, although today is quite pleasant, it can be quite chilly. So I too hope your central heating behaves itself.

Coronation 'Chicken' Sandwich

Use this tasty filling in sandwiches, wraps, jacket potato and salads!

Ingredients: 

• 250g vegan chicken pieces (we used Vivera Plant Chicken Tenders and tore them up into bite-sized pieces. There are so many options out there in all the health food shops, supermarkets and online), lightly fried according to instructions
    • 4 tbsp vegan mayo (eg Follow Your Heart, Hellmann's, Plamil, Leon, Geo, Biona, supermarket own-brands)
    • 1 tbsp mango chutney
    • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1-2 tsp mild curry powder
    • 1-2 tbsp raisins or sultanas
    • 8 slices bread with vegan butter/spread (our favourite is Naturli) 

Method: 

1. Lightly fry the chicken pieces according to the packet then leave to cool for 10 minutes. 
    2. Stir all the other ingredients together in a bowl (apart from the bread!) and add the chicken once it's ready. 
    3. Divide the filling evenly between 4 sandwiches and serve or enjoy in your lunchbox. 

Monster 'Sausage', Cheese, Pesto & Roasted Pepper Sandwich

This is a delicious and filling sandwich for hungry kids, teenagers and adults! It can be enjoyed hot or cold so good for a nice indulgent lunch, picnics or the school or office lunchbox :)

Ingredients: 

• 2 vegan sausages (eg Linda McCartney, Naked Glory, Heck, Richmond, Tofurky, Moving Mountains, Birds Eye, supermarket own-brands), cooked according to instructions on packet
    • 1 ciabatta roll, sliced in half lengthways (or use a GF roll if necessary)
    • 2-3 tbsp vegan pesto (eg Sacla, Zest, supermarket own-brands) 
    • 1-2 roasted red peppers from the jar, cut in half
    • Good handful vegan mozzarella (or any melting vegan cheese of your choice)
    • Handful rocket or mixed leaves 

Method: 

1. Cook the sausages according to the instructions on the packet. 
    2. Heat the grill to medium-high.
    3. Lay the ciabatta roll halves, cut-side up, on a baking tray and spread them both with the pesto. 
    4. Add the peppers and vegan cheese and then pop them under the grill until the cheese has nicely melted. 
    5. Add the sausages and rocket or mixed leaves then sandwich the two sides together and enjoy. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all.

Not a bad day but quite chilly..didn't seem 2 mins since we put plants in.. now some are ready to come out..

Joan I am glad to hear your boiler is working OK.. I am holding off putting our heating on for now .I have just done jacket potatoes in the oven..so I was thinking of you...its a Delia recipe..just brush with oil and a little salt.. proper crispy skins they were..love to all of you xxxx

Kath I like the poem..and the photo of the wicker pram.. never seen one of those ..good for Emily training to be be a Councillor.. more caring people are needed in the profession...I always think you never know what is going on in a child's mind..its good for them to talk about things...

.my OH like coronation chicken..think I prefer the vegan sausage...xx

Toni the car is a little stunner...and you can now show her off at the Figaro show..how nice..

Yes Saturday morning was Aidans with his croissants and French butter waiting for dad to arrive..gosh he is missed..still doesn't seem real..

I agree ...we wear mask we're ever we go ..Best to he safe than sorry ..our local pub lost 2 people off the darts team to the virus..and the landlady spent 4 weeks in hospital....She is slowly recovering

On the sad note..sorry.. will leave you all..

Love to everyone

Xxxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options

Just bought this of Facebook market place..£10..Will paint it cream...

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

I heard from BILL last night he has managed to find a new smaller bungalow only about 6 miles away so will be able to keep in touch with Mandy ok. He now faces the very very tough task of sorting everything in his and Aidan's bungalow 😕

Love it Barbara - are those the new units too? Your kitchen looks very very classy now. Is it all finished?

Thank you I am driving Paul in Penelope up to see some friends for a garden visit this morning with two very good friends.

I have booked our place for the 30th anniversary. You never know it might be on the telly! KATH we can go dressed up retro Emily would like that I know 🙂

I wish a speedy recovery to full health for the landlady. How scary is that?

I am going to look at ordering my winter colour soon I was thinking the same myself yesterday about our plants🙄

Kath I loved that poem just shows how, even in the toughest times, our children can keep us going. How on earth you found that wicker pram pic l do not know but i love it!

You must show Emily the picture Penelope she will probably love her i think 🤔 Counselling eh? She is a brave woman your Emily and a good one you did well there. How is your boy doing? Is he still doing ok?

Thank you for the posh vegan butties. It's the coronation chicken one for me every time - Paul will love it. If we weren't out this morning be giving it a go today for lunch.

Joan Paul is going to see if he can put Kari on the car insurance because she wants to have a go!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am taking it up to my friends this morning to show them and to see their new Yorkie puppy too🙂 ((())) to you both.

Sunday so today is the full English Scottish or Cornish or Vegan!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((((()))) how is Anita ((())) getting on I hope it's going on alright. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) we I've had our heating on in the evenings since it got cold. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son his he better now ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((())))

Toni ((())) have a good ride seeing your friends. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend (((())) Tia ((())) Lucy ((())) and Pom ((())). thank you for saying about Bill ((())) very sad time for him.

love to Chris ((())) Mig ((())) Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (I've subscribed to a 'Poem a day' site which emails me a different poem every day. this is the first.)

Sunshine After Cloud

Josephine D. Heard

Come, “Will,” let’s be good friends again, 

Our wrongs let’s be forgetting, 

For words bring only useless pain, 

So wherefore then be fretting. 

Let’s lay aside imagined wrongs, 

And ne’er give way to grieving,

Life should be filled with joyous songs, 

No time left for deceiving. 

I’ll try and not give way to wrath, 

Nor be so often crying; 

There must some thorns be in our path, 

Let’s move them now by trying. 

How, like a foolish pair were we, 

To fume about a letter; 

Time is so precious, you and me; 

Must spend ours doing better. 

Barbara, that is lovely, and will provide lots of storage space.

Toni, slurp, gobble, chomp, thanks for this breakfast. I'll leave the beans if you don't mind. They give me tummy ache. 😫

Joan, Anita is doing very well thank you. She just has to take tablets for five years.

Fig, Rosemary & Olive Pizza (Gluten-free)

This vegan-friendly recipe is ideal for your lunch-time, go-to meal: homemade, nutritious, works anywhere from at your desk, in the park, on the beach or at your table at home.

Ingredients: 

Pizza

• 1 recipe quantity of Pizza Dough (see below)
    • 4 tbsp passata
    • 100g/3½oz/¾ cup black olives, pitted and chopped
    • 4 figs, quartered
    • 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
    • 60g/2¼oz/⅔ cup dairy free cheese, shaved

Pizza Dough Flour Mix 

• 75g/2¾oz/heaped ⅓ cup brown rice flour, plus extra for dusting
    • 3 tbsp gram (chickpea) flour
    • 3 tbsp maize flour
    • 60g/2¼oz/½ cup cornflour (cornstarch)
    • ½ tsp xanthan gum

Pizza Dough  

• 210g/7oz Pizza Dough Flour Mix (see above)
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 1 tsp dried active yeast
    • 2 tbsp olive oil

Method: 

Pizza

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
    2. Dust a clean surface with pizza dough. Turn out the dough and knead for a few seconds, then shape it into a ball. Flatten the dough slightly using your hands, then use a rolling pin to roll it out to a large circle about 5mm/¼in thick. Neaten the edge, using a sharp knife, then transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
    3. Put the passata and olives in a bowl and mix well, then spread over the pizza base. Place the figs evenly over the pizza and scatter over the rosemary.
    4. Bake for 12 minutes until the base is starting to turn brown. Remove the pizza from the oven and scatter the cheese over the top, then return to the oven for 3–4 minutes until the cheese has started to melt. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top and serve immediately.

Pizza Dough Flours 

1. Sift the flours and xanthan gum into a large mixing bowl and mix together.   

Pizza Dough

1. Put the Pizza Dough Flours into a large bowl or use a food processor or stand mixer.
    2. Add the salt and yeast and pulse several times if using a food processor or stir in if doing it by hand.  
    3. Add the oil and blend well. Add 100ml/3½fl oz/scant ⅓ cup warm water, a little at a time, and continue blending to form a soft dough. Knead the dough for 10 minutes if doing it by hand.
    4. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a bowl. Cover with cling film (plastic wrap) and leave to prove for 30 minutes.

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all..

Joan our son is fine now thank you.. I think our heating will go on soon we have our gas fire on at the min..I hope you you Sue and the doggies are doing OK xx

Kath I like the poem time really is precious.... you don't realise till we get older..hope you and Chris are not in to much pain how are you getting in with the new patches.. x

Toni thank you for breakfast...I shared it with the street..hahaha

I also heard off Bill..bless him having to move but glad he is not far away from mandy.. it must be so hard for him..

I bet Kari would love a go in Penelope..I hope Paul can get her on the insurance...

My kitchen is far from finished at the min..its my fault I didn't like the colour of the backboards so waiting for new ones...then the flooring and plinth.. oh well will be done for Christmas...hahaha...

I hope Carol is having a nice time with Mr t in Brighton

Love to everyone

Xxxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

I bet Carol has had a great time in Brighton Barbara, they usually do when it's the two of them away from life's stresses and strains. So long as their journey home is peaceful!

Poor you the kitchen not quite finished😕 I was the same though with my back-splashes. Hopefully all will be done by Christmas if not before, but I bet they don't even start the plinths until the new back splashes arrive🙄

We are all getting bitten like crazy in the village and swelling up pretty badly too with them. None of us get celulitis fortunately I hope your son avoids the little blighters for a good while.

Joan it will be tough on Bill, but hopefully he will be happy in his new home and he will s you've said always have Aidan in his heart God bless.🌈 My friends' puppy is adorable and he sat on my lap for ages 😍

Kath one of my friends who I visited yesterday (worried about how we will visit though as winter progresses it's getting colder although yesterday was fabulous in their garden) took the one medication for 5 years and is no on another. Not sure for how long though...🤔

Thanks for the pizza I love the stuff.

Glad you liked the breakfast - it was very large and of course you can have whichever components you like best and avoid beans!

The poem was a good one and the sentiment spot on! Time can be short it's not worth it! A lovely rainbow pic too for our Aidan.

Chris (aka Catlady) is in rehab now getting mobile and stronger before she can manage at home on her own. I'm sure we all wish her well

Must get on I have a LOT to do today!

Love to Carol, Mig and Catlady (Chris) and anyone else i have missed

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) Anita is doing so well((())) love to Chris ((()))Val ((())) and your Dad((()))

Barbara ((())) the boiler is the only heating we have. Love to Mr B (((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((())))

Toni ((())) we haven't got any midges yet. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Prom ((())) thank you Toni for saying about Chris's ankle it must have been bad ((())) it's good Bill is getting on alright it's hard for him ((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (I didn't like the one they sent me and I didn't think you would either, so I found a nicer one on the same website).

Rondeau

Jessie Redmon Fauset - 1882-1961

When April's here and meadows wide 
    Once more with spring's sweet growths are pied 
        I close each book, drop each pursuit, 
        And past the brook, no longer mute, 
    I joyous roam the countryside.

Look, here the violets shy abide 
    And there the mating robins hide—
        How keen my sense, how acute, 
          When April's here!

And list! down where the shimmering tide 
    Hard by that farthest hill doth glide, 
        Rise faint strains from shepherd's flute, 
        Pan's pipes and Berecyntian lute. 
    Each sight, each sound fresh joys provide 
          When April's here.

A piece of beautiful fabric.

Glad to hear you are all pretty good. Except for poor CatLady. Sending her hugs and best wishes as she recovers.

Domoda (Gambian Peanut Stew)

One of the Vegan Recipe Club team recently visited The Gambia and was delighted to find this vegan stew as a national dish. Peanut butter, tomato, chilli and sweet potato create a deliciously hearty blend with a nice bit of heat... yum!

Ingredients: 

• 1 large onion, finely diced
    • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 6 large tomatoes, roughly chopped or 1 tin chopped tomatoes 
    • 2 red or green chillies, finely sliced
    • ½ - 1 tsp chilli powder (depending on how much heat you like)
    • 2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
    • 200g smooth peanut butter
    • 3 tbsp tomato puree
    • 800g sweet potato, butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
    • 800ml vegan stock
    • Juice of half lemon
    • Oil for frying

Optional: Decorate the curry with crushed peanuts and fresh chilli peppers (remove the seeds for less heat or fry first). Serve with rice and steamed or roast vegetables. 

Method: 

1. Fry the onion and the fresh chilli until the onion is soft and golden. 
    2. Add the garlic and chilli powder and fry for a further 1-2 minutes. 
    3. Stir in the tomatoes, peanut butter, tomato puree and sweet potato before adding the stock. 
    4. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 35-45 minutes until reduced and thickened and the sweet potato is soft. 
    5. Add the lemon juice, stir through and adjust seasoning if necessary. 

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all raining again..

Joan i didn't realise you only had your boiler..maybe you could get an electric heater has a back up just in case..see i worry about you..thank you again for all the hugs..love to all of you xx

Toni..I hope winter won't be to bad..we never know do we.. our flu jabs have just come through September's 15th i think..ooh sorry thankyou for breakfast you do work hard in a morning....lots of midges here in our back garden...think its all the trees..

I hope all is going to plan with Charleys House.. xx

Kath another good poem.. must say I love spring and autumn.. the stew sounds very interesting.. and the fabric is very pretty..I would like that has a blind xx

Love to everyone

Xxxxxcccc

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    edited 7. Sep 2020, 21:00
    Options

Evening all

We arrived back home on Friday Safe and sound we had a good time whilst away hotel was on the seafront and we had a room over looking the sea. Picture alert hotel our room was just above the word hotel

View from our room window

We did have a disappointment on Thursday when we went to Eastbourne for the day only to find that the pier was still closed. But we still enjoyed the day. I have been shattered ever since.

yesterday we returned to church for the first time since lockdown was a very unusual service with no hymn singing. No coffee before the service all wearing masks except for mr t who was leading the service. and social distancing in place with some pews closed off and only allowed one Person to a pew unless a family group. Also hand sanitizer at entrance and disposable face masks in case anyone came without.

today I had an appointment at the opticians I do need new glasses anyway so today my poor bank balance has had a bit of a shock after paying for 2 pairs. I was told about 5/6 years ago I had slight cataracts in both eyes However on a good note today I was told that they have not changed very much in the years since my last test. They will take 7 - 10 days before they are ready.

Faye started her first day in reception class i her new school. And Ashley started his second year in nursery. So now it’s only Graycie to go back to her second year in nursery and i think that’s tomorrow and then that will only leave Rubie to go into her 1st year in nursery.

sorry picture alert again.

Faye looking very smart and beautiful in her uniform this morning.

And Ashley as cheeky and handsome as ever ready for his 1st day Back at nursery.

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow so doctor can check if I have a build up of wax in my ears As they are often very itchy inside and quite dry and of course it is affecting my hearing I often have to ask for something to be repeated. Because of the itchyness. She thinks it is more likely to be wax that is causing the hearing however at the moment they are not syringeing them. but I will at least know what the problem is. And can deal with it from there.

well it’s that time for me to potter around a bit so I will leave you with

love and sparkles to you all

❤️❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Awww Carol! Look at them! Faye is a very pretty little girls too isn't she in her uniform! Go Ashley at nursery😮

I love Brighton my half Aunts both live there and that view from your window! I know it wasn't sunny but no-where abroad could beat that if it was a sunny day! The Hotel looks very majestic I hope more people holiday 'at home' from now on 🙂

Our choir mistress reckons we can sing without masks🤔 I feel most confused and anxious about it. I am glad you are back at Church though. There is a PCC meeting here tomorrow to discuss ours. We shall see. The zoom meetings were so popular never has the congregation been so large🙂

Oh dear me new specs....your poor bank balance😫 But your eyes are so important as Barbara will confirm. What great news about the caterracts though! Good luck with your lugs fingers crossed with them ((()))

Joan Good news Charley had a call from the Solicitor.....looks like they just might have their keys for Friday!!!!!!!! It won't be easy for Bill but with luck by this Christmas if not before he will have a fresh start ((()))

Kath that was a lovely poem and a lovely picture of the birdies 🙂 I don't think we would ahve liked the suggested poem if you didn't nope👎️

What about you though? How are you doing? and Chris legs ok? I think Catlady (Chris) is a strong lady and will NOT let this stop her she will be back o her feet as soon as she can. I'm glad she has that electric wheelchair now.

Love the Gambian stew Peanut and sweet potato it looks lovely. I am over tio kari's this afternoon starting P's project so will take some for both of us thank you😘

Hi Barbara I've just said to Joan all being well the girls ought to have the keys by Friday! they are so exited!

I agree with you Joan and Sue should ahve a bit of back up heating just in case.

I am hoping for a mild winter but not optimistic! Are lots of midges an indicator????? I wonder🤔

Right breakfast:

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) Chris ((())) hank you for the poem. Love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad can he still go to his club ((()))

Carol ((())) that's a big hotel. Love to Mr T ((())) thank you for the photo's ((()))

Barbara ((())) we have got 2 plug in radiators thank you for thinking about us ((())) have you seen your neighbours parrot's yet love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) all the best to Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) I hope they get the keys on Friday ((())) Love to Paul ((()) Tia ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Kari ((())) and Pom ((()))

Love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (Delivered fresh today into my inbox.).

Driving at Night

Rio CortezFor Laquan McDonald

I think it’s quails lining the road but it's fallen Birchwood.

What look like white clouds in a grassy basin, sprinklers.

I mistake the woman walking her retriever as a pair of fawns.

Could-be animals. Unexplained weather. Maybe they see us

that way. Knowing better, the closer they get. Not quite ready to let it go

“I wrote this poem after driving in Utah, late at night, seeing beautiful things I did not really see. I was thinking about imagination, dangerous imagination, and about the Claudia Rankine quote ‘Blackness in the white imagination has nothing to do with Black people.’ I was thinking about how often that imagination cuts down Black life, and how it is not an accident, it is unforgivable.”

Rio Cortez

Rio Cortez is the author of I Have Learned to Define a Field as a Space Between Mountains (Jai Alai Books, 2015) and The ABCs of Black History (Workman, 2020). Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she now lives, writes, and works in Harlem at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture.

Carol, those GC of yours sure take pretty pictures. Ashley look a REAL boy, and the girls are so pretty. Keep posting those pictures. 😊

Barbara, yes a window blind, or curtains in that fabric would be lovely.

Toni, I'm munching on the toasted muffins, thank you. So the girls might have the keys soon, fantastic.

Joan, Chris and I used to have a plug in radiator some years ago, it used to give out a lot of heat. We had it in the bedroom.

Vegan Loaded Nachos

Ingredients: 

Tortillas

• 6 flour tortillas (or use 2 large bags of shop bought tortilla chips, check the ingredients to make sure they’re vegan), cut into triangles
    • 100g/1 cup grated vegan cheese
    • 1 portion of our guacamole (or for a cheatin’ version, buy Sainsbury’s Be Good To Yourself Guacamole, Holy Moly, Asda Smashed Avocado dip, Morrison's Guacamole or use a chopped up avocado)
    • 1 portion of our sour cream (or for a cheatin’ version, buy ready-made eg Tesco Free-From, Asda Free-From or Tofutti)
    • 1 portion of our fresh salsa (or for a cheatin' version buy a shop bought salsa, available in fresh tubs or jars... nearly all are vegan)

Refried Black Beans

• 1 tin (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 1 tsp ground coriander
    • ½ tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tbsp lime juice
    • 1 tsp brown sugar or vegan syrup (eg agave or maple etc)
    • Olive oil for frying

Method: 

Tortillas

1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C (fan)/350˚F/Gas Mark 4.
    2. Line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper.
    3. Lightly coat the tortilla triangles in a light oil, such as rapeseed.
    4. Place them on the baking trays, evenly spaced, then pop them in the oven for around 10 minutes or until golden.

Refried black beans

1. Heat a little olive oil in a small saucepan on a medium heat and add the spices. Lightly fry for 30 seconds - 1 minute and then add the black beans.
    2. Cook the beans for around 5 minutes, stirring throughout.
    3. Add the lime juice and sugar, then cook for a further couple of minutes.

Assembly

On a large serving plate, add a layer of tortilla chips followed by the refried black beans, guacamole, salsa, grated cheese and repeat. Top off with fresh coriander and sour cream.