Struggling at work

Hi everyone. I'm new on here. Pleased to meet you all. I suffer from Psoriatic arthritis and Enthesitis. I was finally diagnosed 6 years ago after 2 years of excruciating pain and hardly being able to put one foot in front of the other. I was already on Methotrexate for my skin condition. Anyway. After a recent assessment, I have been diagnosed as having 6 very inflamed joint areas, and almost every joint is affected in some way. I have now been able to start Biologics. I've just started Adlimumab. My question is. As a hands on Head Housekeeper in a busy Lakes hotel, I'm really struggling to do my job. I'm in pain 25/7 and usually leave work in tears. I was diagnosed with chronic depression because of all this. I'd like to know from others how well the biologics work. My family want me to stop working and try and claim ESA. But I feel so bad about doing this. There are people with worse disabilities than mine. Do the biologics work? How can I help to make things easier? I've so many questions.....

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169

Hi and welcome @Username ,sorry you are suffering and you need to do whats best for you - if that be ESA then so be it - yes there are people worse off than you but that's a minority,many claim and are better off.

there's a link that may be of use

or you could phone our helpline - 0800 5200 520

hope this helps

Al

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @Username

Welcome from me too, you have come to the right place to share you story and get help and support while you decide what you need to do.

I think this is the link you need to help make the best decision

It includes getting assessments and help to complete your work and their is a link to the gov.uk sie for benefits. The 2 you would need to look at are Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIP). PIP is a benefit you can claim whilst in work.

Biologics can work really well but it's not guaranteed and it may be you would need a second biologic. Scroll down here to see about different biologic drugs

Take care and keep posting

Yvonne x

Would you like me to change your username?

• Username
    Username Member Posts: 3

Thankyou. I've been brought up that unless you're dying then you go to school/work/ bringing your children etc. Very old school I know but I bet I'm not the only one. My boss has been brilliant but my job is literally all physical and manual. Also very stressful being in charge of a Hotel housekeeping team and the building. My GP agrees that I should seriously consider not working, at least for a while. The hospital have also put it in writing that it's not the best place for me to be..... maybe I just need to swallow my pride and forget my English stiff upper lip. Thankyou for replying. I will look into the links you have sent me.

• lindyloop
    lindyloop Member Posts: 1

I was in the same position as you in May. My Psoriatic arthritis (diagnosed 6 years ago) flared so bad I had 18 tender and 3 swollen joints. I was a housekeeper and laundry assistant. One day I just knew in my heart I couldn't do it anymore. I handed my notice in and left. I was gutted.

My husband and family had been asking me to give it up for ages, and are so supportive and thought it was the right thing to do.

I started biologics (failed methotrextae, sulphasalazine and Leflunomide in the past) and am 10 weeks in to them now. they worked like a dream to start with but I do still get flares and I know that the stress and workload of my previous employment would contribute to that flaring. Also the infection risk is too high (care home)

I am still not employed which I hate!! But I am patiently waiting for the right job for me to come along, I am sure it will, but it won't be a physical one. I feel that I did damage my tendons from working through the pain.

Best wishes for your decision.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @lindyloop welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

Thanks for joining in with good supportive advice - its what the Community is all about 😃

Do ask questions, call in for a chat or to let us know how you are getting on. Finger's crossed that the right job for you comes along. Having spent a time after finishing one career and then trying out different things, finding the right next job was really important. Good luck with your search.

Best wishes

Brynmor