Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Oh Gosh Carol I can really see that little 'someone' growing! How amazing is that I love the baby vest what an adorable idea.

The girls look as usual adorable in their matching outfits. their mum does a lovely job with them doesn't she? It's hard work, but they always look spot on. Please do compliment her.

Oh dear poor you. Mr T having phone trouble = trouble for you! He won't be happy at all and to be honest I'm not that surprised if it's been that much trouble. What phone does he have? At least the internet it working and I'm sure Miss Cookie is being good company😍

Barbara I remember when Niamh was little she was such hard work you were quite worried, but look at her now. She is a credit to you all. That's right anti-bullying too! See how responsible she is now!

I bet you would all rather she wasn't in school if it's that rife there the virus. So sad you can't see her now for a couple of weeks, but you have to remember you are vulnerable.

I hope you bro will try to get his drinks free they are medically required really.

It was lovely to see Kari in real life instead of just on the phone bless her. She is doing ok doing her art quietly with Mrs Darcy and the odd visit from Sleek!

Kath that is a beautiful poem thank you and to Wordsworth. My daffodils are up - not flowering yet, but they have been there a good month so that's a lovely sign.

I enjoyed our walk yesterday in Ullswater so peaceful. This time Barbara stayed on her feet thank goodness!

You travelled to Cushendall in 1968?! What lovely memories you must have. Now do you think our motorhome would get through the tunnel? Virus allowing we can collect ours on 2nd March.

We like Gary and wish he was allowed to be happy even if he does like playing the semi-baddie. He's not a real baddie is he? I mean he cares about people! Will Faye be ok then? Will she get found out about bashing Adam?

Hi Joan yes I forgot to plug my laptop in. I had moved it from it's usual spot🙄 oh well it was early enough to write it all again! How are you doing? and Sue? Someone recommended a really good chair for backs to me, but apparently it costs £1000! ((())) xxx

Hope all is well with Mike, Vixen (puss) and family especially Elliott. I hope he is much better now he is at home and getting excited about his imminent birthday?

Hi to @rayray hope all is well with you.

Love also the Chrises, Mig Toady and Crinkly.

Cheese on toast (lo salt) with vegetables so we get some of our five a day!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) that's good Anita ((())) being cancer free long may it continue ((())) love to Chris ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Carol ((())) lovely photo they are alike ((())) sorry about Mr T's Phone what make is it. Thank you for the scan ((()))

Barbara ((())) how is Mr B' s ((())) back. Niamh ((())) is a good girl does she still vacuum for you. Love to your son ((()) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) Paul ((())) Charley ((())) Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Mig ((())) Mike ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Barbara. yes it is very dark and due to snow just as Tesco are due to arrive. I hope your brother does ask for the drinks from his doctor.

Carol, the girls are very pretty in their matching outfits. I did see your happy announcement on FB, Congratulations, I hope all goes well.

Toni, where are you? I'm missing my egg. Hope all is OK. No Joan either - this is getting scary.

We're off to Nice in the South of France - seeing as we can't get there in real life.

I don't know a poem about Nice, so I thought this is very French, it's where I got my eldest daughter's name from - Marie Claire.

Where Do You Go to (My Lovely)

Peter Sarstedt

You talk like Marlene Dietrich

And you dance like Zizi Jeanmaire

Your clothes are all made by Balmain

And there's diamonds and pearls in your hair, yes, there are

You live in a fancy apartment

Off the Boulevard St. Michel

Where you keep your Rolling Stones records

And a friend of Sacha Distel, yes, you do

But where do you go to, my lovely

When you're alone in your bed?

Tell me the thoughts that surround you

I want to look inside your head, yes, I do

I've seen all your qualifications

You got from the Sorbonne

And the painting you stole from Picasso

Your loveliness goes on and on, yes, it does

When you go on your summer vacation

You go to Juan-les-Pins

With your carefully designed topless swimsuit

You get an even suntan on your back, and on your legs

And when the snow falls you're found in St. Moritz

With the others of the jet set

And you sip your Napoleon brandy

But you never get your lips wet, no, you don't

But where do you go to, my lovely

Won't you tell me the thoughts that surround you?

Your name it is heard in high places

You know the Aga Khan

He sent you a race horse for Christmas

And you keep it just for fun, for a laugh, ha-ha-ha

They say that when you get married

It'll be to a millionaire

But they don't realize where you came from

And I wonder if they really care, or give a damn

Where do you go to, my lovely

Tell me the thoughts that surround you

I remember the back streets of Naples

Two children begging in rags

Both touched with a burning ambition

To shake off their lowly-born tags, they tried

So look into my face, Marie-Claire

And remember just who you are

Then go and forget me forever

But I know you still bear the scar, deep inside, yes, you do

I know where you go to, my lovely

When you're alone in your bed

I know the thoughts that surround you

'Cause I can look inside your head

Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na-na-na-na

Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na-na-na-na

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

Toni I love the look of cheese on toast with veg..never thought of doing that..thankyou

Yes Niamh was a terror till she was around 3.4..and was in and out of hospital with her chest..she has just facetimed me on her sisters phone.. and was throwing kisses everywhere.. 🥰

Ooh not long till your motorhome.. and it will be nice and safe xx

Carol what brilliant photos of the children.. the 3 girls look lovely all dressed alike..😁and the scan photo with the baby things is such a good idea.. bet you can't wait

Hopefully Mr T will get a new phone..I used to have a contract but then pay has you go so bought my own phone.. have a look on music magpie..I have used them many times..xx

Joan thankyou Mr B has just got his results from November would you believe.. they can't find anything but it was an ultrasound because of covid...I just hope he can get an mri soon..love to all of you xx

Kath I do like that song..its takes me back..so thats were you got the name from Marie Claire..I wondered were I had heard it..😁

we are all off to Nice..lovely xx

that's me for now

Love to everyone

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    edited 15. Jan 2021, 22:34
    Options

Evening everyone

Toni yes our new little person is growing i can’t believe it was about 8 weeks ago she told me she was pregnant. She will make a great Mum. Yes the girls do look lovely she often dresses them the same especially if they are going somewhere. They were going to the dentist here and I will pass on your compliments. Mr t is just annoyed he has only had this replaced about a month ago when it had previously gone wrong for second maybe the third time. I feel a bit guilty because I suggested to him to get a Samsung Galaxy phone, I’ve had them for ages now so has our youngest daughter. The courier should have come today has supposedly he then gets a message at lunchtime to say they had called and we were out, don’t think so we have been in all day, that’s not all mr t contacts Vodafone by the online help and believe it or not they said they had no record of him I have messaging them yesterday.. anyway it will now be picked up on Monday . 🤞

Jaon the phone is a galaxy A41. Thank you for your comments about the pictures hope you and Sue are ok. And the doggies.

Kath I love that song Yes the new addition to come is a good thing to come out of 2020.

Barbara thank you for your comments to my pics I thought the one of the girls is so natural I love it when they are dressed alike and yes the scan is a really good one . As far as mr ts phone is concerned it has already been replaced once just a month ago because the previous one could not be repaired so they said.

just a quick picture of Cookie

oops and a upside down one of me and Cookie having a chat 😃

Love and Sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    edited 16. Jan 2021, 07:56
    Options

MorningEveryone.

Don't know how many of us manage to look on the whole forum, but i spotted this today it's Sharon our webmanager:

Awww Carol! Look at Cookie. I can see the upside down one too I just turned my laptop over! It's a lovely pic!

I have always had Samsungs (about 6 of them and Paul has too) they are great i think poor Mr T has just been unlucky of all the people. I am with EE though they are pretty good if you have problems. Not impressed they said you weren't in! No-one is anywhere at the moment!

The girls dressed up for the dentist! Blimey she looks after them well she does!

It's good to know your GD will make a really good Mum she has had plenty of role models to imitate that's why

oh Kath i am so sorry😳 There were veggie in your breakfast! Today's is croissants it's Aidan's Saturday breakfast, but I've done you a couple of poached eggs

Nice! That was lovely I have been there only once, but it was lovely. That song is one of my favourites for some reason. I think it goes back to when I worked with some people with L Disabilities who loved 70s music. Good choice of name for your eldest really pretty.

Thank goodness Faye is ok it must be stress making her so sick I think she may yet go to teh police and get this sorted fingers crossed 🤞

Barbara Yes of course Niamh had that scary chest as a little one too. Thank goodness she's healthy now. I'm so glad she facetimed and threw all those lovely kisses to you all. I bet that made you happy if a tiny bit sad ((()))

Glad you enjoyed your special cheese on toast - poor Kath missed her dippy eggs!

I must look on music magpie I never have.

So nothing on Mr B's ultrasound, but that will only show part of the story. I am sure they could do an MRI surely it's not invasive is it? I suppose it costs more though.

Hi Joan I hope all is well with you and Sue. Have Sue's carers still managed to stay free of this vile virus? I nearly missed the PM's briefing on telly last night. ((())) xxx

Hi to everyone who I missed.

Right breakfast:

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) have you got snow. I hope everyone is going on alright love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Carol ((())) cookie is lovely he takes your mind of the horrible virus good (((())) love to Mr T ((())) Good luck with his phone.

Barbara ((())) we have i phones. It will be good when this virus goes so many people ill and people still not wearing masks they will never learn. Love to Mr B ((())) sorry he did not have an Mri ((())) love to your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni (((())) have a good weekend they say the virus is slowing down I hope so. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari (((())) and P ((())). and your lovely neighbours (((()))) yes Sue's carers all are checked and have masks and gloves and aprons on sue says hello to all.

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Hello everyone, I rang dad this morning, he is well and heard on the local radio that people in his are should get a letter about the vaccine this coming week. Emily's best friend Alex had hers this week. She is manager of a company who sends carers to the homes of the elderly/disabled. She has many customers and is in contact with all the carers who work for her. Emily should also get one soon as a key worker. She teaches children of other key workers such as nurses etc.

Toni, thank you so much for the eggs. By gum, it's freezing even with umpteen jumpers on and the heating on too, with my blankie over me.

How do you fancy a trip to London today?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Afternoon Toni and Joan and anyone else who pops in

I am posting here because is not allowed in the kitchen at the moment as Mr T is giving It a good thorough clean 🧽. 🤫🤔

Toni yes the dentist but they were brought the outfits for Christmas but as Gd and kids were on their own and have not been anywhere since they haven’t Had a chance to wear them. Youngest GD loves kids and did childcare at college and before the present situation we are all in has often babysat for her sister. So yes she should make a great mum. Yes Mr T has really been unlucky with his phone Trouble is a lot of the phone companies don’t have very good customer service these days I think I have heard complaints about most of them. It was couriers dpd who said we were out. Vodafone told him they had no record of his call on Thursday.

Joan yes I am so glad Cookie came to us The day before the November mini lockdown. We have had her for just over 2 months now She is so funny sometimes she really is. And she has such lovely markings.

We have a problem with our cooker we have a double oven cooker the knob to the top oven jammed and I trying to turn it off it has broken it so I only have the bottom oven until we can get British Gas to deal with it. Can still use cooker just not the top oven or grill as that is part of the top oven.

love and Sparkles to you all

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Evening all

Just heard that one of the surgerys that is link to ours has started vaccinating the over 80s..I think they own around 5 surgery's around here and more further afield

Carol cookie really loves you..they soon find there little spot..I hope they sort Mrs phone I would be lost without mine ..and hope you yet your cooker mended.. can you send Mr T round here to give my kitchen a deep clean please.. we will move out for the day..😅child care has really come in for your gd..they are a credit to her xx

Toni thankyou for the croissants..its lovely to see and hear about Sharon.. thankyou

I think Mr b will get an mri when things settle down at least they will have a clear pic of what's going on..his walking us terrible..

It was lovely talking to Niamh...I dan't show tears though...🤫

I used to buy new phones but my last 2 have been off music magpie..and they are guaranteed for a year I also sell mine to them😁How's that back of yours doing..xx

Joan some people are so stupid ..I just wish they would listen and wear mask..I have worn one since last march...not in the house if course 😅love to all of you xx

Kath hopefully the jab won't be long for dad then.. I will come to London then I can see our gd at a distance of course.. its good that Alex has had hers..our gd being a carer is suppose to have there's soon..ungers crossed..

I used to march to that song 🤣xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Joan please say Hi to Sue from all of us we miss her popping in on Fridays your old shopping day. Oh remember that when we could get out? I am very pleased to hear the carers are all well and having their tests and PPE. I have no idea why some people think they don't have to wear masks. Same sort of people who probably park on double yellow lines! Of course some are exempt and that is fair enough. ((())) xxx

Aw Barbara well done for not showing Niamh how upset you are. That must be so hard. It shouldn't be too long now I hope 🤞

Just had a look on Music Magpie. I would sell them my phones, but I doubt they'd want them! The prices are definitely better than the providers charge.

I am glad to hear that your Drs will soon be allowed to give out the Oxford vaccine. That should really help speed things up. Paul said our pharmacist has to wait a while before he's allowed. He does my flu jab. By the time they get to me I hope he is allowed.

Carol Miss Cookie is such a blessing - she must have been sent by Aidan to arrive the day before the November lockdown. She does have lovely markings and I'm sure is so grateful for her good safe home now.

The girls were taking their chance to wear their matching new outfits and of course the dentist is one of the few places we can go at the moment 🙄

I am with Barbara please will Mr T come here and do my kitchen? I will make him a drink and leave him to it and Miss Sleek will keep him company. Charley's double oven has also 'gone' typical isn't it?

I wonder if all phone providers are rubbish then? We had 2 or 3 short power cuts last night thank goodness for our phones then having a torch on them!

Kath I am so glad you enjoyed your eggs. Today is cooked breakfast anyway so you can have eggs again today🙂

Oh thank you a trip to Buckingham Palace in London! I really enjoyed it and the song too. In fact I had it in my head as soon as i say the photo!

I am sure it won't be too long for Emily to have her vaccine she is a key-worker herself. It's happening now. My Pharmacist had his and the whole team are being done today on Sunday.

Finally hope of your Dad getting his jab soon now then? I bet you are pleased about that. Took P's dog on my walk yesterday (Paul held the lead) and saw a neighbour who reckons they will be doing over 70s here in the next 2 weeks! I find that hard to believe it seems really fast.

I have my dressing gown on over my clothes as I am typing. It is cold and we have blankies each when we watch telly.

Hope all is well with Mike and family - won't be long until Elliott's birthday i hope he's well enough to enjoy it.

Love to anyone else who pops by

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

we had a phone call yesterday about our virus jab we have been put on the Doctors list at our surgery for it.

Kath ((())) I hope your Dad hears soon ((())) sorry you are so cold ((())) love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((()))

Carol ((())) wasn't cookie wanted before you had her ((())) love to Mr T (((())) and your family ((()))

Barbara ((())) yes it is upsetting not being able to hug Niamh ((())) she knows you love her love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) we have the sun here we have been in this bungalow 20 years to day. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

Just to reassure you - vaccination for over 70s has arrived in our N. Derbyshire neck of the woods so other areas must be close behind. My husband (78) has an appointment on Thursday while I'm (75) hoping for a jab soon afterwards. Neither of us is classified as particularly vulnerable - just 'older' with minor heart issues and OA respectively.

At long last we'll be able to help with after-school care of a grandson whose parents are both 'critical workers'. This news seems like a huge beacon of light at the end of a long tunnel of self-isolation and has made a significant difference to our outlook and mood.

Take care - the end is truly in sight. Crinkly1

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Getting the vaccine is brilliant BUT control measures still have to be followed afterwards to protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues as it has not been proven whether you can still catch and/or pass the virus although the second jab will give maximum protection, so you still need to:

• practice social distancing
    • wear a face mask
    • wash your hands carefully and frequently
    • follow the current guidance

• Kitty
    Options

Crinkly, my daughter lives in Bolsover, but works in Ashfield (North Notts) as a teacher of key workers kids, she is a key worker too. I wonder which area se will get her jab from? Dad (90) lives in Broxtowe, and is still waiting.

Toni, I'm all over that breakfast, ta muchly. I don't blame you for having a blankie while watching T. I bet Miss Sleek creeps under it for a snuggle.

Joan, it's sunny here today, but still freezing. Like the others, I'd love to hear from Sue.

Barbara, Niamh is an intelligent girl, I'm sure she understands how sad you must be because you can't hug her.

Our walk today is York.

We could visit the Minster, Walk round the old town wall, visit the Railway Museum - so many historic sites.

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all its been a much milder day here..so had a drive to the park and a little walk

Toni..I left some of the breakfast for later 😅thankyou

Yes Niamh understands what is going on..it must be scary for children ..its bad enough for us

Hopefully not to long now for the jab I just worry they will leave the second one far to long.. the person we know who works at Christies in the labs.. says its essential xx

Crinkly hope you get yours soon but I'm with Mike we must keep safe till a few weeks after the second jab.. but things are moving on thank god.. hope you are doing ok xx

Joan won't it be lovely when we can see light at the end if the tunnel.. not long for yours then...yes give my love to Sue and tell her she is missed....love to all of you xx

Mike I totally agree ..we need two parts of the vaccination then its a few weeks to do its job..I hope Elliot is feeling a little better..I keep thinking if the little man xx

Kath Niamh does understand bless her..even in our bubble she would remind us to wear a mask..ooh York had many an happy time there 😁thankyou for the picture xx

Love to everyone

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options

Winter hill from the new Rd at the back of our house..I promised Aidan this view but never got round to it 😪xx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Barbara Aidan can see the view I'm sure he can. He knew and understood how busy life can be. It's lovely out there Winter Hill🙂

Niamh is a wise one and wants her family safe she's young enough to accept the new normal. I hope she doesn't worry too much.

It seems like areas are varying. Imagine Crinkly's area doing over 70s, but Kath's Dad still not had his and he's 90!

I am in agreement with you and Mike. We can still catch it and still pass it on so must keep on doing everything we can until we have had both jabs and things have settled down probably globally 🙄

Kath York is one of paul's favourite places so i brought him with me. Love Minster walk and the old town. The Museum was closed so we'll have to go back again!

Sleek loves my blankie as it's a fluffy one. She likes to knead on it and rubs her face on it! I so love her!! Today she is at the vet so maybe we should pop under the cloak to check in on her? I am not allowed in. She's having her annual medical. BP bloods the lot bless her heart and could be there a good while. I will worry.

Watched the Pembrokeshire murders in one go yesterday it was really good. Paul enjoyed it too. Some excellent acting.

Sounds as though Notts aren't doing such a good job as where Crinkly lives🤔N Derbyshire isn't far away so I don't get it😕

Hi Joan am really pleased to hear that you are on 'the list' for the vaccine! 20 years in your bungalow! I bet it doesn't feel like it. It's coming up 5 years for us here in ours soon. Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Hi Mike I agree with you and will continue to behave even after i am lucky enough to have my vaccine - first or even second. I feel as though it needs to be under control in the world before I'll feel near 100% safe again.

Anyone fancy trying Upma for breakfast? It's Indian and we had it in the Maldives it's semolina and savoury?

Fried eggs on toast for anyone who doesn't fancy it!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone sue says thank you ((()))

Hello Crinkly ((())) yes it will be nice for you to have your grand children again ((()))

Mike ((())) love to you and Elliott ((())) I hope he's feeling a bit better after his operation ((()))

Kath ((())) how are you feeling. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) it looks like the countryside behind you. Love to Mr B ((())) your son ((())) and your brother and his girlfriend (((())) you enjoyed your ride.

Toni ((())) you have done a lot of thinks in the five years (((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((()))

Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

Hello all,

Just to clarify my post re vaccination -

1. We are in Buxton, Derbyshire where GP practices have combined to provide vaccination facilities. Friends of our age in Durham had their first jabs a week ago so they are further ahead with their rollout. The important point is that it is really within sight!
    2. I merely intended to spread a little encouragement and am sorry my post produced so much comment about continuing to follow the rules. It felt that my relief at the prospect of imminent vaccination was being squashed by people who don't know me but seemed to assume that I'm about to organise a rave or a foreign holiday.

As stated the only thing we plan to do as soon as the vaccine has had time to 'take' (two weeks according to government advice) is to provide after-school care for our 10 year old grandson - just one of us each time. That has always been allowed but, with the full support of our son, we declined to take the risk it presented and less easy arrangements had to be put in place.

For me it's great to be able to help our hard-working family again but I shan't be going into supermarkets or even drive-through take-aways; simply feeling more confident of my own safety until such time as more people are vaccinated, the rules are relaxed and immensely grateful for the skill of scientists. If I do get Covid-19 it's unlikely to kill me or my husband of 52 years but we know the rules and will stick by them.

I so hope you all, however debilitating your arthritis, experience similar feelings of pleasure when your prospect of a jab becomes reality.

Crinkly1

• Kitty
    Options

Crinkly, I would never accuse you of doing anything as silly as organizing a rave. It's just strange to see how different areas are arranging things. On the local news last night, the doctors in one very rural area are taking the vaccine to patients homes who can't get to the centres for the jab. I'm sure my dad will get his invite this week bless him. My younger sister is part of his bubble and will probably take him to where he needs to be. Arthritis is the least of my worries. 🙄

Joan, I've got a bit of tummy ache at the moment - wind! 😫

Toni, can I have both please. You know how I love eggs, but I quite fancy the Upma. I'm glad you enjoyed the Pembrokeshire Murders. Luke Evans is a brilliant actor, he played Bruce Reynolds in the TV version of the Train Robbery. As for Keith Alan as the murderer - what can I say.

Barbara, we have a steep hill just like that near us. It leads over the M1 motorway to the next village from us. The nurse has just been to do my blood test.

Today we are off to Matlock Bath, Derbyshire.

Matlock Bath is a village and civil parish in Derbyshire, England. It lies in the Peak District, south of Matlock on the main A6 road, and approximately halfway between Buxton and Derby. The population of the civil parish as of the 2011 census was 753.[2] Originally built at the head of a dead-end dirt road running alongside the valley of the River Derwent from Matlock itself, the locality developed in the 19th century as residential and a spa town and still thrives on tourism. Development is naturally very restricted owing to the steep hillsides, with the majority of buildings on one side of the valley with only footbridges across the river. The road was upgraded and made into a through-way, now designated A6, avoiding the previous old coaching road approach to Matlock from Cromford over very steep hills near to the Riber plateau area. In 1698 warm springs were discovered and a bath house was built. As the waters became better known, access was improved by the building of the bridge into Old Matlock and in 1783, the opening of a new entrance at the south of the valley. Princess Victoria of Kent's royal visit in 1832[4] confirmed Matlock as a society venue of the time. Victoria's party visited a pair of museums and a petrifying well.[4] John Ruskin and Lord Byron were visitors, Byron comparing it with alpine Switzerland, leading to a nickname of Little SwitzerlandErasmus Darwin had recommended the area to Josiah Wedgwood I for its beauty and soothing waters, and members of the families vacationed and settled there. Edward Levett Darwin, son of Francis Sacheverel Darwin, lived at Dale House in Matlock Bath, where he was a solicitor.

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all

Oh Crinkly I think what I said came over all wrong..I mean we could all be drawn into a false sense if security with the jab...I just hope they do the second one inside of the 6 weeks..they are now saying it could be 12..I can't wait to see my gc and give them an hug..hope you get the first one very soon xx

Joan it was all country side at the back of us but sadly the new houses are creeping up ...its such a shame..any sign of your new rads..xx

Toni I have never heard of Upma..but I do like semolina...mind you I have it sweet..😁

Yes I am sure Aidan has seen the photo ..he did love his Pendle hill..bless him

Think we are getting nearer to over 70s..it depends on how many over 80s in your area 🤔

We love York..and the museums are brilliant like you say they will all be closed..hopefully very soon we will have some normality..

I recorded the Pembrokeshire murders ..had a feeling it would he good xx

Kath..Matlock looks lovely..we have been to Buxton ...we have so many lovely places in England..just wished I lived in one..😅

Hope your blood's are OK xx

Love to everyone

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi @crinkly

It's definitely excellent news that your vaccine is in sight. I heard today that our over 70s should be in the next two weeks. We are in Staffordshire. I would jump at the chance to have mine. If they'd let me I'd have it now 🙂I will wait patiently.

I very much hope none of us get COVID its a vile vile virus. I have been through a costa drive through and Starbucks during this pandemic, but dodged supermarkets and like you will continue to do so until this whole situation is really much, much better. I don't think anyone should feel bad about anything they are doing so long as it's within the rules.

In our village we are very well-behaved, but my various neighbours have all done slightly different things. One went to a garden centre, another is happy to go into the garage to buy her paper, but won't have takeaways. We are all different I suppose and must do what we feel comfortable with.

It will be wonderful to be able to support your family by babysitting. One or two people in the village are doing that as part of 'bubbles' already.

I hope none of us has upset you I don't think any of us would ever want to do that ((()))

• frogmorton
    edited 19. Jan 2021, 07:16
    Options

Morning everyone.

I hope no-one gets flooded I hear a new storm 'Christoph' is coming bringing lots of rain 😣

Sleek is home from the vet all well and good now her BP was fine, vaccines done (she insists she's had her COVID one) nails clipped (no longer getting stuck to her scratch post) and new 3 monthly flea treatment administered.

Kath thank you! I love Matlock Bath I have been a good few times over the years it's a very pretty town and some lovely cafés and restaurants there.

Yes we thought the acting in the Pembrokeshire Murders was excellent. I remember the train robbery, but hadn't spotted the connection with Luke Evans. Looking forward to 'Finding Alice' now.

Glad you tried the Upma I loved it it's a breakfast staple made from semolina and is already vegan anyway.

Thanks Joan we have done a lot in the 5 years as hopefully this should be our last move and we want it perfect before Paul retires. Make sure you send our love to Sue. 😘 ((())) xxx

Mike Happy Birthday to Elliott 9 years old now I hope I got the date right.

I hope Barbara is ok and your eyes are not too bad. Love to you and the family especially Niamh.

My vertigo is threatening today. Help!

Scrambled eggs today martie sauce available for those who which to partake!

Love to everyone who pops in!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike Happy Birthday to Elliott 9 years old now I hope I got the date right.

Thanks ever so much but it is tomorrow! I will pass on good wishes although I have heard nothing since he came out of ICU last week. Thanks again.