Methotrexate

Options

Does being on Methotrexate lower your immune system or is it already working overtime with having PSA or will taking Methotrexate make it normal what it should be ? I don’t really understand it and it worry’s me as I’m due to start it , also with Covid about is our immune system so low we will put our self more at risk by taking it

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Louie123

Thank you for posting on the forum and I am sorry to hear about your concerns regarding methotrexate and the Covid vaccine.

Methotrexate is a type of disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD). It is used to reduce activity of the immune system for people who have certain conditions including PSA.

The immune system normally protects the body from infections or bacteria by causing inflammation to fight them. Methotrexate does not just treat the symptoms of your condition but also reduces the risk of long-term damage to your joints that can be caused by inflammation that’s not kept under control. Methotrexate is often given as the first line of treatment if you have any concerns prior to starting the treatment please talk to your medical professional. 

We understand that people with auto-immune conditions and who are on immunosuppressant medication are concerned about the COVID-19 vaccinations. I have taken this information from our website which I hope will be helpful for you:

The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is not a live vaccine, and people who take medicines to suppress the immune system can have this vaccine. People on drugs that suppress the immune system are on the priority list for vaccination that has been produced by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).

Although the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine is made of a real virus, it has been inactivated so it can’t cause a serious infection, even in someone whose immune system has been suppressed. This means that it’s safe for people who are on medicines to suppress the immune system.

We don’t yet know if one type of vaccine is more suitable than another for people who are on medicines to suppress the immune system. It may take many months of further research to determine this. If you’re offered the vaccine and delay taking it, then you leave yourself at risk from COVID-19.

If you have an allergy to any medication you must discuss further with your doctor to ascertain if the vaccine will be suitable for you.

You are very welcome to give us a call on our helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm) here we can take our time to talk things through informally and in confidence.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor