Osteoarthritis in lower spine and ankle and pain management

Options
Byron
Byron Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, just need a bit of advice about pain management. I’ve had osteoarthritis in my lower back for years and have been newly diagnosed with it in my left ankle as well. I had been on naproxen 500mg twice a day for years but have been recently diagnosed with left ventricle heart failure and kidney cancer (possibly connected with the naproxen use) so now I can’t take any nsaids at all, my doctor has put me on morphine tablets together with paracetamol (I can’t take codeine due to nausea) however the morphine/paracetamol isn’t working and I’m having a major flare up at the moment, has anyone been in this situation and can offer any advice?

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 888
    Options

Hello @Byron and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your back and left ankle and that you can no longer take naproxen and other pain medication is not working, and that you are looking for advice. It is best to go back to your GP/Consultant as they know what is available, but also you could take a look at our website as it contains a lot of useful information which may help. I've put a couple of links in below which may be of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Peawhips
    Peawhips Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi you've got my sympathy I'm in same boat in constant pain. I feel like im not getting any where and was having a smashing time in back yard smashing old cracked pots up. I'm trying to keep mobile but limited where i can go as i only go short distances before my back and hips sttart hurting. Only thing i could suggest when you see your gp f2f as if uou can be refered to the pain clinic see what they can do for you. Try to keep mobile and dont give in to the pain if youcan