Options
Janie2312
Janie2312 Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone. I’m 45 and was diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee at forty. More recently I’ve been experiencing severe hip knee spine and shoulder pain, leading to a diagnosis of arthritis in all these joints.

Arthritis does run in my family on both sides. I also have fibro diabetes asthma three crushed spinal discs causing thecal sac problems and arachnoiditis as well as a list of other conditions. Currently use a wheelchair for longer distances.

i love craft related hobbies, including knitting, crochet, x stitch, quilting, embroidery, jewellery candle and soap making, diamond pictures.

I’ve got an assistance dog in training, he’s a border collie poodle cross and is almost a year and a half old.

I originally heard of the versus arthritis campaign when I signed up for a sponsored event in the summer.

im quite isolated and have no friends, and don’t keep in contact with any of my family other than my son. So it would be good to be part of an online community.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Janie2312 and welcome to the community. You have friends now as we are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have arthritis in many of your joints, but it is really good to see that you have lots of hobbies to keep you busy and I am sure that the support dog will be of great help. We have other members with dogs who help. In the meantime have a look around the community and website as it contains lots of useful information and hints and tips. I've put a couple of examples below.

Please keep posting and join in and I am sure you will soon make new friends here

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

Hi Janie and welcome from me too.

Your hobbies sound to be quite solitary ones though I believe local knitting clubs exist. I'm sure your dog will soon make friends, though. And maybe bring you some, too. One of my sons has a Border Collie. She was a bit of a nightmare at first but now, about 18 months, she's very well behaved.

You may be interested in the Val's Cafe thread on Chit Chat. You'll find people very friendly

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Janie2312
    Options
  • Janie2312
    Options

my boys been an absolute angel. The best puppy I’ve ever raised. Though sometimes I look at him and wonder what is he thinking, he can be such a numpty head lol.

my hobbies are solitary yes, but I took them all up because I can sit at home and do them. There is a local knitting group that I’m trying to build up the courage to join.

thank you for the welcome