Immunosuppressed shingles jàb. Heads up.

Options

If you're on immunosuppressants you'll know we're.not allowed live vaccines. You may also know there is now a shingles jab that isn't live which we can have.

I got my call up letter and duly phoned. The very pleasant lady checked my meds and said on that dose. (10mgs meth per week and 200mgs hydroxy daily) I'd be OK with the ordinary vaccine. I was amazed and asked if she was sure as I'.d always been told I wouldn't be. Sensibly, she said she'd check with a doc and get back to me.She did and I now have my appt, for the first of my two 'meth-friendly jabs.

So, if you get.told the same, do question it. These people just have a check sheet to go through. My lady was sensible and did the right thing when I queried her decision. Yours might not be😉

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,014
    Options

Good advice as always - best to question and be sure.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,630
    Options

Well that is good news @stickywicket Now people on Methotrexate can hopefully have their shingles jab.

Very sensible for everyone to check though when they go for theirs that it's not a 'live' vaccine.

Thanks👍️

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

Just had Part 1. (The shingrix(?) one for the immunosuppressed comes in two doses.) I'm pleased to report all messages were passed on and no question as to which I'd get. They will send for me for Part 2 in 2-6 months. A good result.

Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,433
    Options

@stickywicket what age are you allowed the jab I think it's 70. Is it an annual thing or one for life? I'm so pleased you've had it anyway. Shingles is vile. Lucy had it at 11 and my poor friend had it in hospital when she was terminally ill - she told me it was the worst thing pain-wise ever.

👍️

Toni x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

@frogmorton , it's age 70 until 80 but the shingrix one was new two years ago. I was offered it last year but forgot until it was too late to book it so I made sure this time.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-can-have-the-shingles-vaccine/

Steven Wright
  • Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

@stickywicket @frogmorton A killed vax is def a good idea. Sadly I already had the full live raging version in early March while I was immune suppressed… I didn’t even need a needle. Although I did get a needle.. several.. from stinging nettle, while gardening and normally it would be just a mild sting, but when you are suppressed it triggers shingles as the very point where the nettle touched was where the shingles rash started and the over several days spread …. Didn’t even recognise it (characteristic shingles in a line following the nerve) so delayed getting it seen. Oh well, auto inoculated with my own self produced varicella zoster! Ouchie!

On the dead/live vax I did read an NHS/NICE general guideline last year that below 20mg/week MTX you can have live vaccines, but could not find the exact text and link again.

I only found this which I guess the nurse was reliant on

Live vaccines (e.g. oral polio, oral typhoid, MMR, BCG, Zostavax®) are advised in line with the national schedule for all patients, unless the patient is taking a dose of methotrexate or other immunosuppressive drug that exceeds those specified in the Green Book. Doses below this level are not considered sufficiently immunosuppressive and these patients can receive live vaccines. Clinician discretion is advised. Please refer to the Green Book Chapter 6 for current advice.”

but it’s crude because it does not adjust for key factors that affect your immune response, such as age or general health. A killed vax is def safer.