My THR recovery diary

Options

Comments

• Zimmer
    Zimmer Member Posts: 38
    Options

It doesn't matter what the consultants tell you, it takes information from those who have gone through it, to be able to ready yourself as @JPT said. It's totally unrealistic to hear nothing but glowing reviews as life, unfortunately, isn't like that. You have to take the good with the bad to get the feeling of accomplishment at the end. Not looking forward to the pain, but I AM looking forward to THIS pain being gone and I am looking forward to starting my life again.

I will also make a diary, not only for others but for myself too; as you do forget the pain you were once in, eventually, so will be good to see how far I've actually come. I can't wait to get off this mobility scooter and go for a walk, it's been nearly 10yrs since I've done that. Insert Girlie squeal here 🤪

• Zimmer
    Options

What you have accomplished is amazing Julie, and hope you are proud of yourself when you manage those little wins. I know how hard it is to remain positive all the time, and the pain does get you down, but look back at your first week's diary entry and know that the end results will be significant xx

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 363
    Options

@JPT I had a cemented hip - I wasn't told but found it on my online medical record in a letter from my surgeon to GP. No idea why, and really should have asked but seems a bit late now!

I hope you manage to get comfortable soon. You might remember my surgeon/hospital don't have raised toilet seats/seating which I'm sure made the first few days harder but so much easier from then on. I feel lucky now - their reasoning was that the new ways of operating are much safer and so to get back to normal life quickly and not be restricted.

I guess at least you could lean on a trolley in M&S? And yes, a little bit of normal is so good.

You're doing well but I understand the frustration when progress slows down. You're making me think so much of how far I've progressed and how you will progress. I remember thinking I would never be able to stand on my operated leg but now it's no problem. You're right you need more exercises once they feel easy. The side sleeping is a hard one, I can't say I'm totally comfortable on either side, but change from one side to the other and often end up on my back, but being able to move is bliss compared to the early days.

I think you'll make progress once you're off the blood thinners - they really are limiting in so many aspects of recovery but obviously necessary. Not long now though.

Take care, x

• Zimmer
    Options

@Janlyn I queried that but was told that due to my age and severity that I would have to have cement

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 130
    Options

Day 30 5/4

Sat on my dressing table stool with no issues another small improvement.

Today's trip round Tesco's on crutches was ok but tiring. I hadn't realised before how much everyone is so self focused and totally unaware of those less mobile.

Had my first evening out! Lovely to see friends who were amazed to see me and walking up three flights of stairs. I didn't like being crowded and people standing too near my op side. Only stayed an hour.

Exhausted this morning but positive.

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT I agree - so many positives. Walking up three flights of steps - imagine a few weeks ago ever imagining you'd do that? The feeling crowded and protecting your operated side is familiar but does start to fade with more experiences, so well done for getting that one started.

The exhaustion goes on for so long with everything new, or even not so new, but I'm finding it occurs less and less now, but I do give in to it, after those first few weeks with sleepless, uncomfortable nights I find any chance for a deep sleep/nap is bliss.

• JPT
    Options

@Janlyn yes, I agree and I think every new thing we do is a mental challenge too making it more tiring.

• Zimmer
    Options

I know exactly how you felt with your supermarket run, I have only recently started going shopping on my scooter on my own because of the lack of "empathy", for lack of a better word apart from swearing. They stand in the middle of the aisles chopsing, seemingly oblivious to anything else; lean in front of you to get something without saying excuse me; stop ŕight in front of you and turn around and make you feel like it's your fault....and that's on my scooter, but must feel even worse when you’re trying to hobble around.

I shuffle around like an oap in the house on my walker (and I'm only 53) and flinch every time my partner walks by too quick, as the habit of tapping my **** when he walked past, has taken him a while to stop doing. I try to do as much as I'm able, but even just washing up knackers me. You use more energy moving slower than when your able bodied, especially when you're in pain, so adding the mental exertion of thinking how to do ANYTHING out of your ordinary routine just exhausts you further.

The hardest thing of recovering from illness or injury is learning how to give yourself a break.....you are doing awesome hon, I am so happy for you and to hear how the op has given you a new lease of life.

• JPT
    Options

Day 31 6/4

A slower start this morning.However have now lowered the lounge chair to almost normal height, just put the back legs on to a piece of wood to raise the back a little. So far feels ok but need to keep hip higher than knee so not sure yet.

Practicing the golfing pose more so less reliance on the grabbers which are never where you want them.

• Zimmer
    Options

🤣 I know that pose so well, but hey hopefully soon you'll be able to put more weight on it and then there'll be no stopping you 🤙

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT - the golfing pose is great - far better to be independent and especially if your chair is almost normal height too - that's progress 👏👏👏

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

Oh we have a new person @Bevdav123 we'll all be here for you too to support you if you want us to.

@JPT the progress does seem to slow down, but looking back those ahead of you will say they are still making progress now. I mean 3 flights of stairs😮

How long for the blood thinners now? Then that wound can finally heal.

You are doing so well @Zimmer is 100% right.

• JPT
    Options

Day 32 7/4

Lay on op side for much longer, maybe I'll try to sleep a little on that side tonight. A memory foam mattress is a godsend as my thigh gently settles into the mattress. Turning back over isn't so much fun.

Now walking around the house without crutches but they're nearby if I need them.

I still use a crutch to go down the garden.

Got hubby to fill a big tray with compost and I can stand in the (very small) greenhouse to sow more seeds and thin out others. So nice to do this on a lovely spring day. 

All day on no crutches indoors.walkiing is hard and getting going is very jerky but gets a bit smoother as I move around.

I've even been up and down stairs without using a crutch.

I then slept for a whole 90 mins in the afternoon and am feeling sore but ok.

I know I pushed myself today but kept it safe and steady.

• JPT
    Options

Day 32 7/4

Lay on op side for much longer, maybe I'll try to sleep a little on that side tonight. A memory foam mattress is a godsend as my thigh gently settles into the mattress. Turning back over isn't so much fun.

Now walking around the house without crutches but they're nearby if I need them.

I still use a crutch to go down the garden.

Got hubby to fill a big tray with compost and I can stand in the (very small) greenhouse to sow more seeds and thin out others. So nice to do this on a lovely spring day. 

All day on no crutches indoors.walking is hard and getting going is very jerky but gets a bit smoother as I move around.

I've even been up and down stairs without using a crutch.

I then slept for a whole 90 mins in the afternoon and am feeling sore but ok.

I know I pushed myself today but kept it safe and steady.

• Zimmer
    Options

Whoop whoop you must be so chuffed, you've achieved so much, green with envy xx

• Zimmer
    Options

@Bevdav123 I'm so glad for you bev, I bet you can't wait.

There are a few diaries you can read, which I have found so incredibly helpful, so would love to read yours when the time comes....if you’re up to it of course.

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Yes I’ll try and keep a diary, I’m full of hope, bad day today, I work in a pharmacy so as you can imagine I’m on my feet all day, but had a awful nights sleep didn’t know which side to lay on I was in so much pain, I find Biofreeze roll on helps, think I put it on in my sleep sometimes! So I’m home for lunch now and a much needed sit down , thanks for the welcome all 😊

• ItsjustLisa
    ItsjustLisa Member Posts: 23
    Options

@JPT I'm so pleased to read you managed to get into the garden, I'm a professional gardener and having to give up work has been so upsetting.

Wow, I'm so happy to see new people, @Bevdav123 and @Zimmer really pleased you're both here, I went back on the list for surgery after reading these lovely diaries, @Nurina s bionic diary appealed to me so much when I first joined but I'm so very grateful for them all.

Keep us posted @Bevdav123 I've just had my first call from the hospital so hopefully I won't be too much longer, I was diagnosed 12 years ago but too terrified to have the op.

Have a lovely day all and take good care

Lisa 😁💐

• Zimmer
    Options

I love biofreeze, especially the roll on, it saves having to wash your hands all the time so is easier. My partner wondered if it comes in bath bubble forms in either I seem to bathe in it lols

• Zimmer
    Options

Like you @justlisa@ I am anxious about the op, but have got to the stage where my way of life outweighs the fear you know. I have only just found out about the arthritis (eventhough I've been sufferingfor years), but have been put down for surgery, hopefully, in the next 6 months,🤞.

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 18
    Options

@Zimmer i also use Voltarol like body lotion 😂

• JPT
    Options

Day 33 8/4

Nothing much to report today. Taking it easy, using my crutch indoors a bit as feel a bit sore from yesterday.

• Zimmer
    Options

Yeah @JPT you may have overdone it hon....easily done say, you just want to get back to normality I know. Essentially, the boom and bust cycle states that if you increase your exercise/load intensity or frequency (Boom) too quickly, you will then have a flare up or injury that sets you back (Bust). Take care hon xx