Retired - what now?

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
Hello,

Well I don't know how I feel, I was 54 on Sunday and now I am officially retired. I have been a care worker for the council and after several Occy Health doctors reports, I have been retired on the level of pension that puts me into the 'Not likely to work again' catagory and releases my pension. I have to return my ID and uniforms and thats it.

Its a sad day, but I know inside that I can't do the job and redplyment was an option the doctor told me he wouldn't recommend - so thats it . Very strange, I knew it was comming but still shocking in a way. I now realise just what is being cut out of my life, the contact, the sense of purpose.

But round the corner something will turn up. I don't intend to become a vegatable and I have skills which are useful to someone. I just feel a little odd at the moment, thats all.
Love Sue

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm so sorry Sue it is sad because it seems you are losing your independence. But let's think of it in a new light, think of when we were all healthy, how much did we wish we never had to go to work that day or the I can't wait until I retire sort of stuff. We would have killed to be off work now and then. Let's think of you gaining some independence from your job and of all the new things you can maybe think of doing. There's no shame in retiring at 54, and doing the job you did, think of all that you have given back over those years, how many people's lifes were better because you were there to help them.

It is an unsure time ahead but at least now the stress of worrying what was going to happen is gone and you can start to see things from a new persepctive. I'm sure in a few months you will look back at this and wonder why you never did it sooner. So many sick people fear retiring and feel this way. My auntie is the same age as you, she retired last year due to severe ill health. She felt guilty and was down for a while but now has a completely new attitude to life. She wishes she'd gave up sooner and loves her new found hobbies and addiction to her laptop!

I'm sure things will look brighter tomorrow, take care x
  • woodbon
    Options
    I'm so sorry Sue it is sad because it seems you are losing your independence. But let's think of it in a new light, think of when we were all healthy, how much did we wish we never had to go to work that day or the I can't wait until I retire sort of stuff. We would have killed to be off work now and then. Let's think of you gaining some independence from your job and of all the new things you can maybe think of doing. There's no shame in retiring at 54, and doing the job you did, think of all that you have given back over those years, how many people's lifes were better because you were there to help them.

It is an unsure time ahead but at least now the stress of worrying what was going to happen is gone and you can start to see things from a new persepctive. I'm sure in a few months you will look back at this and wonder why you never did it sooner. So many sick people fear retiring and feel this way. My auntie is the same age as you, she retired last year due to severe ill health. She felt guilty and was down for a while but now has a completely new attitude to life. She wishes she'd gave up sooner and loves her new found hobbies and addiction to her laptop!

I'm sure things will look brighter tomorrow, take care x

Thank you. I know you'r right, but it is a very odd feeling! :mrgreen: Love Sue
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I know your not feeling to happy but happy birthday for Sunday.
    I know just how you feel, I had to retire through RA and PA at the age of 59, thought I would go on for years. Although I had arthritis for years it turned bad so quickly. It all happened so fast one moment happy working I loved my job and was very active, the next moment no job and a need to change my way of life. Its not just the having to retire its all the worries it brings on about the future and finances. Although my wife worked I was the breadwinner and it done my ego no good to be retired through ill health. Like you I knew I could not go on working it was becoming so hard to cope and I felt so ill. I was depressed for ages but got myself out of it. Its hard to think positive at times like this but as you say you never know whats around the corner. Ok I don’t have as much money as I did but don’t do so bad. I keep myself busy most days with all sorts of things nothing strenuous though. The hardest thing is accepting whats happened to you and learning a new way of life. You will find a sense of purpose and you will move on. I can see by your post you are strong willed and you will find a use for your skills. It will take a little time to get over things but you will bounce back. Take Care and keep your chin up.
    Colin
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Sue

Just reiterating what everyone else has said on this thread really and offer my support!

It sounds as though this is a turning point in your life and that you're trying to stay positive about it, which is good. Just think of all the things you never had time for before which you'll now be able to do :-)

Nx
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm 54 tomorrow, been retired for 9 years now, I was upset and wanted to fight it at first then it became a glorious release, still with pain but to do things at my own pace.

So, what do you want to do with the rest of your life? Quite a stark statement isn't it!

Now? Loads to do, no time to do it all, life does change not always as we think it will but change it most definitely does.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thanks everyone, its strange but I still don't seem to have enough time! I do hate the forms and stuff ahhhhhhh.....Still, I'm getting there! :):) Love Sue