Knee pain after a THR

Options
gillian2102
gillian2102 Member Posts: 10
edited 8. May 2009, 12:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I had 2 thr's in the last 18 months (6 months apart). On the right leg I had really bad pain in the knee 2 days after the operation. I was in hospital and it was so bad I have about 4 shots of morphine in the space of a couple of hours just to take the pain away. At first the consultant thought I had a blood clot. The pain eased off and I went home to recover etc.

Ever since this op my knee has been giving me problems. It gets very stiff, sore and gives way regularly. The other knee is fine. Both thr's are good too! I had no issues with my knees before. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks. Gill

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I am sorry to hear what a lot of pain you've had and still feel.
    I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but quite a few people on here will be able to. I just hope everything is fine for you and you soon feel a lot better. Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Gill

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee although the hip ops went well. This is a stab in the dark but do you think there is perhaps some nerve damage in the knee after the hip operation?

Sometimes after a hip op one leg becomes longer and this can cause various problems. Have you had your leg lengths measured? A shoe insert can help to even you up, so to speak

I hope it sorts itself out soon.

Best wishes
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • gillian2102
    gillian2102 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Gill

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee although the hip ops went well. This is a stab in the dark but do you think there is perhaps some nerve damage in the knee after the hip operation?

Sometimes after a hip op one leg becomes longer and this can cause various problems. Have you had your leg lengths measured? A shoe insert can help to even you up, so to speak

I hope it sorts itself out soon.

Best wishes
    Elna

Hi
    Thanks for replying - yes I have had a measurement done and there is apparently such an insignificant difference it won't be a problem. I did have 3/4" difference between left and right when I had the first one done but not the second one. So I had a lift for 6 months. Regards Gill
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Gill,

Have you had your right knee x-rayed? I wonder if it's deteriorated whilst you were in pain with your hips and your hip pain actually masked your knee pain without you realising and now your hips are better you're noticing the knee pain. (....Just drawing breath :roll: )

I'd have a word with your Rheumy if I were you or your surgeon if you're still being monitored - afterall if your knee keeps giving way you may fall and hurt your new hips and that's scary :shock:

Luv legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'