Joint Potential 2009 (16-25s with arthritis in Scotland)

sophier
sophier Member Posts: 11
edited 25. Jan 2010, 11:20 in Young people's community
Joint Potential is a new programme in Scotland for young adults aged 16-25 with arthritis – www.jointpotential.org.uk

We’re running 3 FREE events in 2009 - these are residential weekends, starting Friday evening and ending after lunch on Sunday. Accommodation and travel are paid for by Arthritis Care, so all it will cost you is your time and we'll make very good use of that! If you're not sure about coming along (and worried you won't know anyone) do get in touch - we have people who live in various areas of Scotland who would be happy to get in touch with you to tell you more.

We've now had our Activity weekend and Positive Future weekend - everyone who came had a great time and wanted to come back for more! The next weekend is in Edinburgh, 4-6 December/ and there are still a couple of places left, see below:

Self Image (4-6 Dec) - what makes you YOU? We'll focus on how to feel comfortable with who you are and in your relationships with others, learn how being self-aware can help with decision making, and look at where you're heading in the future...

These events have been run elsewhere in the UK before, but now it’s Scotland’s turn :D. We're now taking bookings for places on these events, so if you’d like to come along, get in touch as soon as possible – places will be first come, first served.

If you’d like to know more, post me your questions and I’ll do my best to answer.

Bye for now,

Sophie
Joint Potential programme lead

Comments

• kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, Might sound like a silly question but do you have to live in Scotland to attend?
  • sophier
    kate21 wrote:
    Hi, Might sound like a silly question but do you have to live in Scotland to attend?

- yep, you do - but we'll pay transport whether you're coming from Glasgow or from Orkney... If you live elsewhere in the UK, there's similar events in Northern Ireland and South West England.
  • kneedown
    kneedown Member Posts: 21
    do u know if theres any1 in there 20s going ? also where are the weekends?
  • sophier
    kneedown wrote:
    do u know if theres any1 in there 20s going ? also where are the weekends?

Oops - sorry, the system didn't notify me anyone had posted so it's lucky I saw this!

Quite a few folk are in their 20s - most are around 22/23. The Positive Future weekend is 9-11 October in Glasgow (there are a couple of spaces left, but hurry!) and the Self Image weekend is 4-6 December in Edinburgh (again, a couple of spaces). So far each event has 10 participants going, but we can squeeze in an extra 2.

See more via www.jointpotential.org.uk
    If you want to come, use the following link to request a place:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea/Scotland/Youngadults16-25/Getintouch/Requestaplace
    or email me at JointPotential@arthritiscare.org.uk

Bye for now,
    Sophie
  • mary321
    mary321 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

My name is Mary and I am 17 years of age. I live in Edinburgh. Someone told me about Joint Potential. I was wondering if you will be having weekends in 2010 and if there are places still left.

About me:
    I just joined this forum today. I was diagnosed with arthritis last year and I find it hard to cope. I live in care and sometimes this can be stressful.

I'm a little bit worried that the people on your courses are older than me and I might find it hard to talk to them.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

Mary
  • sophier
    mary321 wrote:
    Hi

My name is Mary and I am 17 years of age. I live in Edinburgh. Someone told me about Joint Potential. I was wondering if you will be having weekends in 2010 and if there are places still left.

About me:
    I just joined this forum today. I was diagnosed with arthritis last year and I find it hard to cope. I live in care and sometimes this can be stressful.

I'm a little bit worried that the people on your courses are older than me and I might find it hard to talk to them.

Mary

Hi Mary! I'm just updating the Joint Potential website now - we've 3 events in 2010 for 16-25s, the next is 5-7 March in Glasgow and is about growing up, facing the challenges of adult life and how we can use our life experiences in a positive way. To find out more about this and our other 2010 events, click on this link: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea/Scotland/Youngadults16-25/JointPotentialprogramme.

And actually, one of our volunteers is 17 so you'll be in good company! If you decide to come along, you can use the booking form: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea/Scotland/Youngadults16-25/Getintouch/Requestaplace

Bye for now,
    Sophie
  • clairy
    clairy Member Posts: 29
    mary321 wrote:
    Hi

About me:

Mary

Hi Mary,

I'm one of the Youth Contacts with Joint Potential i am i bit older than you at 21 but as Sophie metioned some of our volunteers are younger and the people that come along are usually all different ages so you certainly won't be the only young one. Everyone is really nice and i've found you actually don't notice peoples ages as everyone seems to get on so well.

It's quite scary when you go along the first time not knowing anyone. (I know i was quite nevrous the first tme i went along) If you sign up Sophie will put you in touch with someone local to you so you can get know someone a bit before you come along. After you been on the first weekend though i'm sure you be desprate to get on the next one as we have all had such a great time.

If you have any questions about the weekend just give me a shout.

Clair
  • sophier
    mary321 wrote:
    Hi

Hi Mary - just in case you're still wanting to know about Joint Potential I've put a new post on the forum with info about all the events in 2010; hope to hear from you soon :)
    Sophie