Phased return to work

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
Hi
I had my meeting with HR and bosses yesterday to discuss how I will return to work. I have been off work for 11 months now due to hip/OA and other medical condition/surgery (unrelated). I am becoming more mobile and feel I need to plan for my return to work. I was quite nervous of attending the meeting, but feel it was quite a positive experience. i work for the NHS and have 20 years service there. Once my gp and surgeon are happy for me to go back to work, a plan has been drawn up for a phased return. This involves reduction of my working week initially, building up to my normal hours over several weeks. A workplace assessment re office and ways to ensure I can safely carry out my duties, and my being office based at first, building up to normal duties. There will be a review each week to see how I am managing, and i can use my left over annual leave to reduce my hours further if needed after the phased return period is over.
I feel that they have recognised my condition and are being supportive, and this will make returning to work less stressful I`m sure. I am hoping to be back at work within the next month.
I hope that this is a positive post for people who are worried about returning to work. And I will keep you informed of whether the plan comes to fruition!!
NB

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done NB!!
    You did well there and it all sounds very positive.
    Good employers make all the difference don't they?
    Yes this should encourage others I'm sure.
    take care
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Thats great, this is what employer should be doing if at all possible. Good luck and I hope all goes smoothly for you! :D
    Love Sue
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks everyone for your support. It will be daunting going back to work after all this time, and with my new diagnosis and hip. I feel like a totally different person to the one who was there last year.
    I am encouraged by the way things are being handled, and hope that my colleagues will be supportive too.
    I have been doing some paperwork at home and using the pc for an hour or so, and boy was I stiff and sore when I tried to stand up for a break. This will be how it will be at work, I know, and do not really want to stand out more than I need to. (does that make sense, sorry for rambling! :oops: ) Any tips for dealing with this welcome!
    NB
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hiya NB
    Your employers are really supportive and helpfull that is great and just what you need when returning to work after so long, it wont be easy especially the first few weeks but just pace yourself and make sure you dont overdue it and look after yourself because thats the most important thing, work will always be there but your health is more important than any job.
    Hope it all goes well for you
    Take care
    Denise.x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

I am so pleased they are being supportive and have taken on board the things they should. Maybe they can come up with some kind of better seating for you?

I wish you so much luck but as others have said don't over do it and just take it a bit easy to begin with. Take care, Cris x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Nearly,

I am so pleased they are being supportive and have taken on board the things they should. Maybe they can come up with some kind of better seating for you?

I wish you so much luck but as others have said don't over do it and just take it a bit easy to begin with. Take care, Cris x

Hi NB
    Its exciting and possibly a little bit daunting but great work is being so helpful
    Wishing you all the best of luck with it and go easy with it
    love Gillx
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi NB
    Good luck with the return to work, it's good you can phase it in gradually.

Don't know if this helps, but when I started a new job early last year, Access to Work sent an OT who did a workplace assessment (it was office work). A to Work paid for a made to measure fully adjustable office chair and a rocking footrest, which helps a lot with stiffness. That job came to an end so I have the chair at home now, as I work mostly from home now. Not sure how it works in an existing job, but if it could be shown that you would have to leave work if you didn't have adaptations, then AtoW might pay for them.
    Glad you are feeling well enough to work now - don't overdo it!
    JeanP
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    jeanniep wrote:
    Hi NB
    Good luck with the return to work, it's good you can phase it in gradually.

Don't know if this helps, but when I started a new job early last year, Access to Work sent an OT who did a workplace assessment (it was office work). A to Work paid for a made to measure fully adjustable office chair and a rocking footrest, which helps a lot with stiffness. That job came to an end so I have the chair at home now, as I work mostly from home now. Not sure how it works in an existing job, but if it could be shown that you would have to leave work if you didn't have adaptations, then AtoW might pay for them.
    Glad you are feeling well enough to work now - don't overdo it!
    JeanP

Hi Jeannie
    work are doing a workplace assessment, not sure if sane as AtoW but they will ensure I have correct height seat , desk etc.. and the funding is covered too for equipment etc.. The footrest souinds good though, I`ll see if they mention one.
    NB
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi NB, wow, what a difference a few weeks makes! You have a positive attitude, work already! You have very good employers by the sound of it; I hope I will be able to get off my bum(without pain) and go out and get re-employed after my op; Im getting fed up of being at home, 3 years is a long time :roll: good luck with the phased return, jk
  • megmot
    megmot Member Posts: 26
    Options
    That is great news and also gives others hope .
    Iam so happy for you :D
    Meg x x :D:D:D
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi and thanks jk and Megmot
    I do feel that work are pulling out all the stops for me!! I just hope that I don`t let them down and can cope with it all again!!
    I tried to sit on the floor this morning at home to tidy some drawers. And ouch! it hurt and my movement is still quite limited. This will be a problem for work if it doesnt improve soon, and I will feel like I am letting people down if I can`t do all aspects of my job. Hopefully physio will improve things in that area.
    I saw my gp report which is being sent to occy health today, and after reading what it says I have got, had and need in the future, well, I wouldn`t employ me!! :shock: But I know I am good at my job, and my boss has the same opinion luckily.
    The plan is to go back the week after next, on my phased return . So watch this space!!!
    NB