I'm Disabled!

Options
ninakang
ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
I am applying for another job internally at work and have been working on the application form. I got to the question "Do you have any disabilities? And then backtracked because I had ticked the No box - I had to change it to Yes! I know it sounds silly and I have been diagnosed with RA for a few months now and the doctor at work says I am covered under the DDA but it's only just hit me. It's all official.

Good job the form was electronic otherwise I would have had to cross out a tick in a box and tick the other, making me look stupid, not disabled!

Nx

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nina, I know it's weird isn't it. I had to fill in a form a couple of weeks ago for something, can't remember what it was, but it wasn't disabilty related. It was does anyone in your household have a disability and I had to put yes. It felt so weird as someone said earlier on here saying disabled seems so strong. I hate for someone to say it in front of my daughter. She's only 3 and asked me what it meant. I just said "Well you know how Mummy told you she was sick as a little girl and I got sick again and sometimes I can't walk, well that's why they say that to me". I just hate when it's said badly over the parking spaces etc when the kids are with me. I get so angry that these people have no respect for the fact young kids who are so impressionable are present and still say it.
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Nina - it is only a word for a tiny part of who you really are & as far as I have seen on this forum, you are an incredibly clever & compassionate person who is obviously an asset to your employer.
    The advice you have given people on here is invaluable - just a little box on an electronic form? No, you are Nina! That is what's important
    Pen X
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hello

Thanks for these lovely replies, got a bit tearful (contact lenses must need cleaning)! You really are lovely people on here.

Whenevr I think of something I need to ask, about anything, I first think about posting it on here! I also have a real need to check how everyone's doing - this site is addictive!

Nx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Nina
    ((()))
    You are after all just NINA!!!!
    Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nina,

Tis like the others have said, your just you and labels mean nothing other than to the form they have to be on if you see what I mean.

I was registered disabled bask in my 20's and I wouldn't have it..... What a fool as now it might be handy to have still had a foot in the door.... :wink: So don't do anything silly...... I will pay for mine and have already as I became self employed and now a days its hard to earn a decent living! :roll:

Take care, Cris