how do you all manage?

Options
charlotte34
charlotte34 Member Posts: 26
Hi, im new here, i only found out i had osteoarthritis yesterday, i have it in the base of my thumb and knee.

This past week my thumb has been very very painful, i can hardly move it now or put any pressure on it, (i cant touch it or switch a light switch off etc) I still go to work (im a domestic in the hospitals operating theatres) My work mates are very far from sympathetic and just say stop moaning it goes in one ear and out of the other, and other frases to that effect.

Im now struggling to even get gloves on over my thumb and these are essential, it also means i cant wear a thumb support while working.

Things are breaking down between my two workmates, i didnt even speak to them yesterday, my job is becoming more difficult and im getting depressed. I cant have time off as the NHS is very strict on time off and im on monitering after having an operation last year which made me be off for to long in their eyes.
I have to wait two weeks to speak to my GP as the consultant is dealing with my carpal tunnell syndrome.

So i have no medication or support from the medics. im not sure how i can keep up with my job but i have to work i have a mortgage, can anyone offer any advice.

On top of the pain im also looking into the future and have visions of losing my car house and pets which is adding to the stress of it all.

Thanks

Comments

• penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to the forum! I'm not very good at knowing the right advice but there are some lovely & very clever people on here who are & I'm sure one of them will soon post with help.
    I just want to say now you have joined you will not feel alone with your pain anymore - we all understand how tough it is especially at work.
    Love Pen X
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Hi Charlotte welcome...we must be in a very similar position.

Keep an eye on my postings because they might help you,some really good people on here and don't be afraid to ask!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hiya Charlotte
    Do you work for the NHS or a private company?
    Haven't they got any large gloves for you to wear? You know like for men? Would you be allowed to buy your own?
    It sounds to me as though you are having a really rough time at work and your colleagues are not helping at all.
    I think I would keep some notes about what is said (or not) incase you ever need it.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • charlotte34
    Options
    I work for the NHS. Yes the y do have different size gloves from small to xL not sure if there is an XXL.

I have to work with a disinfectant type chemical, its for the theatres/sterile areas so you get the idea.

It does sometimes go down the gloves so id be woried about it getting on the splint and me continuing wearing it as the stuff we use has not to have skin contact.

I thought about going to occupational health but wasnt sure what they could do? Ive only used them before for vaccinations/blood tests (go to work same day my doctor orders a test, get blood test at work get results next day, as opposed to waiting two weeks at doctors for test and results LOL)

To be honest they are to unsavioury charachters at the best of times so their attitude now dosnt suprise me at all, Im am bullied but thats a whole different subject.
    i would love another job but im unskilled and have only done care work in the past, what sort of job can i get where use of my hand is very limited?

Would the job centre help me?
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Charlotte,

I am so sorry you are in this position, I know the kind of fears of losing everything but there must be a way round it all.

I would go to OH and the job center. I f you get the right person they are very helpful and there is no way you should be in a job where you are being bullied.

For what it's worth I did lose my house and I recovered ok. Don't worry about what may happen and try and get things sorted.

As to your pain I think you should go back and see your gp and ask for some pain relief or some kind of help to give you a chance of staying in work.

I am thinking of you and sending you a cyber ((( ))) and I so remember the stalking fear thing, but you mustn't let it get to you cus I did and it took me a few years to lose the fear...... Its not good for you, I guess you may know that.

Try not to worry about the future too much and get them to give you some kind of help re doctors etc. take care, Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I worked for the county Council and they use the same Occy Health Department as the NHS. They have been very helpful to me, and although I am being retired because of ill health, in my case it was the only sensible option and they have arranged for my pension to be released in full. I have OA of the spine and neck and quite a lot of joints in my body as well as carpel tunnel.

Do you belong to a Union, if not it may pay you to join one as they work for you and help you. I had help from Unison, and someone came with me to the meeting with my manager. I think it makes a difference. I think you could still join at this stage to get help, but I'm not sure, so asking may be a good idea. Also the CAB can help a lot.

Your work mates don't understand what pain and problems you are going through, they see it as a way of getting out of doing things. You know they are wrong and ignorant, but management have to stop discrimination, which is what is happening, because if it forces you to give up your job it may be constructive dismissal and you would have a case in law for compensation, ask the CAB, they will know. I feel so much for you, and hope that you get a fair and proper solution to the problems you are having. Remember, discrimination is against the law. The Jobcentre, as someone suggested, is also a good idea. I wish you luck. Love Sue
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Charlotte and welcome to the group. I would endorse all the advice you have already been given. Like you I have OA and until i found this group felt i was the only person in the world who was experiencing these problems. I am sure, like me, you will feel supported and valued by everyone here. Linda
  • mrsmopp
    mrsmopp Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi Charlotte

I also work as a domestic/sewing assistant for a NHS Hospital.
    I too have found some days very tough. Sometimes getting on those gloves can be real painful. Iv been one of the lucky ones, my boss has been more than understanding. I was off last year for 5 months as i got a knee replacement. The OH was really helpful, staging me in when i returned to work and asking what jobs i found especially difficult. Keep posting as the people on this site are absolutely brilliant, so kind and understanding. Take Care x
  • charlotte34
    Options
    Thanks for al your replys, ill phone OH tomorrow. Thankfully im off work all week so i can chill out.
    I was off for 4 weeks last year, one wek for a chest infectiona nd another for having an op that caused bad infections resulting in me being admitted to another hospital and when i came back i got put on monitoring for 12 months :shock:

I was sent to the OH doctor as my manager was concerned about 'all' my infections :roll: i tried to metion the stress the bullying had without saying it directly and the doc said it would be passed to my manager, i ahve also dropped several hefty hints to my supervisors but nothing gets done.

Im going way off topic here but generally i dont find the NHS to be very tolerant of illness or anything else really.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Charlotte

Well I was like you when I found out about my OA. Very panicked. Money wasn't really a concern for me as I am lucky with my employer in that they are very understanding. My worries concerned my children, who were only just 3 and 9 months at the time. I was distressed at them seeing me on so many meds and in pain and what I wouldn't be able to do with them, simple things people take for granted. But it does get better with time, yes there are days that it gets the better of you but you just have to pick yourself up again. Mines is anger mostly as it was MRSA which caused my childhood illness which caused the OA.

Re your Employer, yes you can take time off, even for the NHS. In fact the NHS is supposed to be a shining example of equal treatment to their employees. It sounds like you are experiencing disability discrimination and I'd suggest you speak to your Union or CAB if not in one. Take that time off, try not to worry about money etc. But you have to be firm and confident with your employers if you are going to do this. They must know you feel you are being discriminated against. Your first step would be to raise an informal grievance. Trust me, they will **** themselves if you start talking discrimination. Probably the reason I don't fear my employer is because I am very clued up on the DDA and they know this. They also know if they give me any carp I'll be straight onto the Union and mentioning tribunals. I hope you feel better soon, it is a big shock to the sytem at first. But you start to think of people much worse off and think you are lucky not to be them. Get advice pronto though and take care xx
  • charlotte34
    Options
    Thanks for that but am i correct in thinking if you already have an issue you cant join a union and ask them to look into that particular issue as it was already there befor membership?
  • tracey22
    tracey22 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for that but am i correct in thinking if you already have an issue you cant join a union and ask them to look into that particular issue as it was already there befor membership?

Hi charlotte,

I also work for nhs however before i did i had the same worries at my old job i have ra and have done for the last 9years, did you know that if you are off work due to a long standing illness that has no direct cure they have to be very careful about any disciplinary procedures. I mean you didnt ask to be ill did you! Just go to occy health and get some advice, i have found them really helpful and my colleagues at work are also very understanding. I hope that you can get this sorted and everything works out for you.

Tracey
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Charlotte, you can still join the Union. See them next time you are in work and sign the papers. Then you're in the Union. The quicker the better though. It's often the case people don't realise how important the Union are until they find themselves with troubles. This happened to me with a job years ago and I swore I'd never not join the Union again if it was an option. They allowed me to join a week before my hearing, which I won! So go and see them ASAP, they won't make you feel guilty or anything, they will just be glad to have another paying member. If they do say anything, ask why and ask for it in writing, but they should allow you in regardless of an ongoing issue. I am with HMRC & had a friend in the same boat, they let her join even though proceedings had been started. She won by the way and said it was all down to the Union.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi it sounds awfull they should give u support u would think the n h s would b top of the list 4 helping people u would b able to stay at work 4 more years with the right help talk to people about how u r feeling dont let these bullies make u feel bad stress is the last thing u need hope u get it sorted glad my boss is great only do shop work 4 hours a day but standing some days not possible never moan if i sit down bless them hope all goes well :)
    val