hot flushes, ladies

Options
cruisedolly
cruisedolly Member Posts: 24
edited 28. May 2009, 10:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. Just been diagnosed with OA. Are hot flushes a symptom of this as I have only just been getting them, mainly my face goes very hot. Got it before I started the meds. ASked my doctor if it was menopause as I am 58, but he said I am well past that.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cruisedolly
    Lots of us with RA complain of them when we are having a flare - including the men!!!
    Does that help?
    Toni x
  • mrsmopp
    mrsmopp Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi Cruisedolly

Im only 43 and get hot flushes all the time, doc said its not menapause, its the RA. Also bothered with night sweats. Hope this helps you a wee bit.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I have hot flushes too, my gp said it was the menopause when I was 48, tests proved that it was in fact my RA, mine are really paid at night, I keep throwing the quilt off, then my feet get really cold and painful, I just can't win at all love Jaspercatxx
  • normie
    normie Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello. Just been diagnosed with OA. Are hot flushes a symptom of this as I have only just been getting them, mainly my face goes very hot. Got it before I started the meds. ASked my doctor if it was menopause as I am 58, but he said I am well past that.
    hi i also suffer with hot flushes and night sweats,im (hopefuly) over the menopause. i have RA and am on methotrexate. My rhumatologist said it was not due to the Medication or RA but i think he is wrong, so i sympathise with you.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Here too. I'm sure their is a link. My face goes red and my neck. OH says he can tell when I have a flare up just by looking at me! No real solution (I'm sorry). I try to always wear natural fibres and I'm trying to introduce more cotton bedding (but yikes doesn't it cost a lot)! Also drink gallons of water - but still look like a little round tomato...
    best wishes
    Mx
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    I don't get hot flushes but since getting OA I am always cold!!.Even on warm sunny days I still feel cold and when everyone else is wearing sleeveless tops,I'm still in sweaters. :( I think others on the site have mentioned about feeling the cold.Not sure which is worse,hot flushes or always being cold?I read somewhere that certain meds can cause facial flushes :oops: but have never heard of them causing coldness.There seems to be no end to the side effects we get due to arthur!!. Breane. :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    breane wrote:
    I don't get hot flushes but since getting OA I am always cold!!.Even on warm sunny days I still feel cold and when everyone else is wearing sleeveless tops,I'm still in sweaters. :( I think others on the site have mentioned about feeling the cold.Not sure which is worse,hot flushes or always being cold?I read somewhere that certain meds can cause facial flushes :oops: but have never heard of them causing coldness.There seems to be no end to the side effects we get due to arthur!!. Breane. :)
    Hey Breane
    If you are feeling cold...maybe you rae hot and your body is shivering to cool you down? you know like when you have flu?
    Just an idea
    Toni x
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Toni,Although I don't get hot flushes my hands and feet burn hot when they are in the worst pain but generally it's my body that always feels cold.I can hold a hot water bottle and still not feel totally warm. :? I will probably add it to the list of things I want to ask my GP when I see him on Wed.That list is getting s-oooooo long! Don't think I will be making his day!! Breane.x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    breane wrote:
    Hi Toni,Although I don't get hot flushes my hands and feet burn hot when they are in the worst pain but generally it's my body that always feels cold.I can hold a hot water bottle and still not feel totally warm. :? I will probably add it to the list of things I want to ask my GP when I see him on Wed.That list is getting s-oooooo long! Don't think I will be making his day!! Breane.x

Hi Breane,

In my early days of RA, my hands used to burn so much so I couldn't bear them in bed with me and I used to get very, very cold when I was tired and needing sleep. I don't get hot hands anymore now but at times when I'm exhausted I do feel very cold until I've slept.

Another thought is that your thyroid levels might need checking - I think an underactive thyroid can make you feel cold all the time. (Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong.)

Suggest you book a double appointment with your GP - he might need it.

Let us know how you go on.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Cruisedolly,

We do get hot flushes and night sweats with arthritis but I thought it was more to do with RA and not OA - I think in the old days it was called Rheumatic Fever. I find hot flushes with the menopause very different in that they're over in a few minutes whereas the arthritis flush can last quite a while.

As the others have said there's not much we can do about them - just shower more often :oops:

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • cruisedolly
    Options
    Yes, interesting that you get it with RA, but I have had an xray and been told its OA. My hot flushes only last a short time. I still think it could be post menopause.
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    i to get very hot especially in the night its awful my neck and chest are ringing plus my head , hands and feet are to but my body can be cold . i get in the day as well and i get called sweaty betty all the time cos of the sweating on my face hate it also my hands get sweaty to wont let anyone touch them . i can remember a few years ago when the short spiky hair was i had mine done thought i would be cooler not so , you could see it running down my neck awful a lad i knew touched the back of my head near my neck and said ehh i was so embarrassed my haIR IS NOW LONGER SO CAN HAVE IT UP WHEN ITS HOT DOWN OTHERWISE , dr said i wasn on the change either im 43 , and im not havin a flare up must just one of the things we have to put with . best of luck joy x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I have OA and also have had a hystorectomy years ago at 30. I'm 54 now, and I've been on HRT since the op. I have patches and was one of the trial patients when they first came out! I've noticed recently, that I get a few hot flushes, I just put it down to hormone levels, but it is only for the past year or so. Don't really know which is which, so no help, sorry! :oops: :lol: Love Sue
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Cruisedolly
    I am 54 just come off HRT because of Blood pressure problems, so never had a hot flush with the menopause. I have OA and never had a hot flush with that either I dont think that its a symptom of OA. Hope that helps a bit.
    Denise.x
  • cruisedolly
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I had hysterectomy 8 years ago, but ovaries were left. Never had any symptoms of menopause so far and I'm sure these hot flushes are hormonal and I'm having a late menopause, never mind what the doctor says, lol.