Swollen Feet

Options
breane
breane Member Posts: 392
edited 7. Jun 2009, 18:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,do any of you suffer with swollen feet? :( Over the weekend mine swelled up like balloons and I couldn't get shoes on.I thought it was the new meds I had recently started taking,Omeprazole and Naproxen,so popped to the local hospital advice centre to ask them.The doc I saw said it wasn't just the tablets but the RA causing it,a combination of both.He gave me a prescription for Tramadol for the pain and sleeping tablets for 4 nights(zopiclone)because I havn't been sleeping properly for some time now.Got to see my own GP later this week.Will this swelling go down on it's own or is it a permanent thing with arthritis?I've usually got quite slender feet and at the moment they look horrendous :x Breane. :|

Comments

• suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    the sun coused my feet and hands to swell at the weekend and sucked the energy out of me but i love that sun but it does effect my arthritis. my wrists felt they were struggling to hold my hands they felt so week and my legs ached today its been cooler and i feel ok today. hope todays a bit better for you all the best joanne
    Joanne
  • breane
    Options
    Hi Joanne,I have been sitting out in the sun today and found it made my feet even worse but we have to make the most of the sun WHEN we get it!! Breane. :lol:
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Breane, hello. Glad you got the Zopiclone, and I really hope they work for you. I have the swollen feet/ankles problem too, especially in hot weather. I was told by my GP that whenever I sit - indoors or out - to keep my legs higher than my heart. Can feel a bit strange, but it does seem to work......Angel.
  • normie
    normie Member Posts: 13
    Options
    breane wrote:
    Hi everyone,do any of you suffer with swollen feet? :( Over the weekend mine swelled up like balloons and I couldn't get shoes on.I thought it was the new meds I had recently started taking,Omeprazole and Naproxen,so popped to the local hospital advice centre to ask them.The doc I saw said it wasn't just the tablets but the RA causing it,a combination of both.He gave me a prescription for Tramadol for the pain and sleeping tablets for 4 nights(zopiclone)because I havn't been sleeping properly for some time now.Got to see my own GP later this week.Will this swelling go down on it's own or is it a permanent thing with arthritis?I've usually got quite slender feet and at the moment they look horrendous :x Breane. :|
    Hi breane, my feet also swell up, more so in the hot weather, but quiet often with my RA, as you say you just have to keep them up and get shoes/sandals that you can adjust ( birkenstocks with the buckles are good) the swelling does go down, in the morning i have lovely slim feet and ankles,lets hope you do too.
  • welshsmiler
    welshsmiler Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Breane,

Sorry to hear about your feet, I can totally sympathise. I hope you can sort them out soon as it can make life very difficult if you cant get about. (Some days I cant drive or walk)

I also have terrible problems sleeping...havent had more than 2-3 hours a night for nearly 3 months.

Ive only just got diagnosed with RA, so havent been put on any meds yet apart from diclofenac and painkillers but my feet and ankles are HUGE! Have been for about 3 months. I cant wear normal shoes at all, I have had to give in and buy a pair of crocs :cry:
    But you know what.....they make it doable.....I cant walk even in the house without them on as the pain is horrific. I wear them as soon as I get out of bed, untill I get back in. I was told not to walk bare footed as you can do some damage.

Tell what else I find helps...A hot bath first thing in the morning, then topping it up with cold???...it does seem to ease them a bit. Another thing is a footspa...... its nearly bliss....untill you get them back out :D

Hope they calm down...as I know how bad it can be.
    x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    hi my feet swell too. mostly the right one, its the ball of my foot and across the top that is painfull. i also wear crocs all the time in the house they are a god send. :D i have RA.
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Yes, I have had too seems to be worse in the afternoon for some reason.

Hope it gets better for you soon.

Dean76
  • salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    Options
    i struggled with this for years even having to go to work in slippers as my crocs wouldnt fit, water tablets left me glued to the loo and after 12 hrs i was back where i started refferred to a lymphoedema nurse who made me stockings and some gloves saying it was common side effect of ra and the difference is amazing i could get my boots on etc
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    i have bad feet to they get so hot and painful swelled up on sat night thy are worse when im at work cos i have to wear closed in shoes and socks by 1130 am i can hardley walk and need to sit down its a relife to get home and get my flip flops on i am much better in open shoes crocs are great i have a couple of pairs so comfy i have to wear shoes with thick spongy soles cause i can feel the floor thru most and its agony i have ra in most joints and oa in my big toe and left thumb , i live in my tainers but they make my feet really hot after a while and have to slacken them off a bit . good luck. i just wish someone would make the perfect shoes for us all not come accross anythin yet . they gave me special shoes at the hospital with insoles they looked a bit like dr martins they made me walk realy bad had to stop wearing them i have high instep as well the most pain i get is on the top of my left foot and the balls under neath . when first started with ra it was in my right foot that one is alot better now 14 years down the road .
  • breane
    Options
    Hi,The other day I asked if anyone gets swollen feet as mine blew up like balloons last weekend. :( Well,since then I've seen my GP and he's given me a weeks course of steroids.I'm only on the second day of taking them and my feet are almost back to their normal size.I'm wondering if this is due to the steroids or just a coincidence.Has anyone else found steroids help with the swelling?Breane. :)
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    breane wrote:
    Hi,The other day I asked if anyone gets swollen feet as mine blew up like balloons last weekend. :( Well,since then I've seen my GP and he's given me a weeks course of steroids.I'm only on the second day of taking them and my feet are almost back to their normal size.I'm wondering if this is due to the steroids or just a coincidence.Has anyone else found steroids help with the swelling?Breane. :)
    hio i have my leg has swelled up today just where my socks go only on one leg and all this is on my bad foot , went to chester zoo yesterday did alot of walkin and my feet were killin me when i got home and when i got up today . could be a coincedence put i think the tabs will have helped with it as well all the best joy xx
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Mine too are like balloons and I cannot get my shoes on, saw the Rheumy the other day and for once they were swollen right on cue, he was really worried as I am on Humira and had my heart checked, I had an ECG and chest x ray, blood tests and need an Echogram? (something like that) whatever one of them is? We haven't got to the bottom of it yet, could just be the arthritis, but at least I had a thorough examination. I have recently put on loads of weight and I thonk it's down to the Humira, but he says not? so we will have to wait and see. I'm waiting for GP to give me some water tablets, heres hoping they work.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Lucky
    That's an echocardiograph I think. It's really good you see like a colouir scan and then you can'hear you heart too! No bra though and they squash your boob! Apart from that quite interesting!
    Good luck and her is right to check you out properly!
    take care
    Toni x
  • knittinggran
    knittinggran Member Posts: 3
    Options
    my foot on bad leg has been swollen got worse in warm weather can still get shoes on but my ankles aches :(
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Lucky
    That's an echocardiograph I think. It's really good you see like a colouir scan and then you can'hear you heart too! No bra though and they squash your boob! Apart from that quite interesting!
    Good luck and her is right to check you out properly!
    take care
    Toni x

Squashing my boob sounds quite interesting....lol :oops: