APPOINTMENT

Options
glo123
glo123 Member Posts: 22
edited 26. May 2009, 08:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
i have my appointment for physio for my OA next month on the 15th.
I'm fairly new to OA, i am having a few problams with it at the moment.......first of all i didn't know i had it untill i came off prednisolone, they say i have it in my knees, but i am beginning to think it's in most of my joints because i am so sore all over when i wake in the mornings it even hurts to move, turning over is agony! :cry:
does anyone else get this?
Chris.

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi ,sorry no1s answered your post yet,im sure they will.
    i too have oa,i find it very difficult to get comfy at anytime of the day,let alone the nights.i take 40 ml of amptripyline at night.
    the morning stiffness is terrible & sometimes i have to take painkillers before i can get up.cocodomol 30/500x2 4x aday.
    the stiffness does wear off a little with me through the day,but early evening it all comes back.
    im still working on the balance between rest & keeping active.
    to much rest & im stiff,to much walking causes more pain,then i rest & stiffen again.
    im waiting for appointment with pain clinic & just had mri scan so im hoping to get some answers,& some releif SOON :roll:
    i have pain in nearly evey joint,& not many answers im afraid.
    i find hot baths help with my knees,neck & shoulders.hot water bottles,heat pads & deep heat help a bit too.anything to get through the day. debsx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Chris

So you have a physio appointment the middle of next month. Is this for overall or for your knees? Do you find that you begin to feel a little more mobile as you get going in the mornings? A shower or bath helps the joints to get going better and I do some stretching exercises most mornings which I am sure helps me. I wake in the night when I turn over, so you are not alone in that. I hope you have a knowledgeable, sympathetic physio - it makes all the diference. It is good to try and exercise the joints. I keep telling myself, use it or lose it, but that does not always work with my enthusiasm! :lol: OA tends to move around the joints too, it does for me anyway. When I awaken with knee pain I use a heated wheatbag which sends me back to sleep. I am not too keen on ice packs but did use them after my total knee replacement to reduce swelling and it also numbed the pain.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi Chris
    I have OA and I rarely get a full night's sleep, same problem as most, sit too long and it hurts, do too much and it hurts. You have to find a happy medium between the two and some good meds.
    I'm actually having a THR on the 5th June but rarely suffer with pain in my hip it all radiates down to my knee.
    Good luck with your physio hope it goes well for you.

Rita X
  • alicea
    alicea Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi Chris , again the answer is yes , I seem to have pain in every joint . I have had one knee replaced and one hip but the rest of my joints are driving me mad. The pysio will help your knees and they can give you general exercises that will help the rest of your joints as the others say it is getting it right enough to keep you strong and not to much that it will give you more pain . hope you feel better soon ... all the best keep your chin up. ....sandra
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I'm very sorry you'v got this problem with the stiffness in the morning and turning over it bed. I have that problem too, and I have OA in my spine, neck, and quite a few joints. I think part of the reason that we get pain in lots of joints is that because we have a weak spot, like your knee and my back is that I tend to move awkwardly, putting weight on joints in a way thay are not designed to take and this can cause problems.

Hopefully, the physio will give you exercises that will help you build up the muscles and spare some of the joints. I had a lot of help with my lower spine, and found that it became a lot less painful but it does take time. I also have amatryptline at night which helps me sleep.

Good luck with the physio, love Sue
  • glo123
    glo123 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replys,it helps to know i am not alone in this.
    I do find that the stiffness eases as the morning goes on, but like the rest of you.......when i rest to long it comes back and hurts and when i do to much it's the same! also going up and down stairs, getting out of the bath, and when i sit down after being on my feet for a while it feels like a tight band around my right knee, the physio is just for my knees as far as i know?
    i also find when standing to long i get a pain in my lower back.
    Oh i feel as if i'm doing nothing but moan! i don't mean to, i just want to know if anyone else has all these symptoms and if it's normal to be like this with OA.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Chris.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    glo123 wrote:
    Thanks for all of your replys,it helps to know i am not alone in this.
    I do find that the stiffness eases as the morning goes on, but like the rest of you.......when i rest to long it comes back and hurts and when i do to much it's the same! also going up and down stairs, getting out of the bath, and when i sit down after being on my feet for a while it feels like a tight band around my right knee, the physio is just for my knees as far as i know?
    i also find when standing to long i get a pain in my lower back.
    Oh i feel as if i'm doing nothing but moan! i don't mean to, i just want to know if anyone else has all these symptoms and if it's normal to be like this with OA.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Chris.

Hi Chris

Know how you feel. I'm pretty stiff in the mornings and have to shuffle down the stairs. If anyone comes to the door, they are so impatient, I can never get down in time. The pain in my lower back is pretty bad, but I think it is because the muscle are pretty weak through non exercise. It is a catch 22 situation isn't it. Do too little it hurts, do too much it hurts.
    They say walking is the best exercise for backs, well at least the physio dept told me that, but you would need to walk an awful long way to get the amount of exercise you need. The only thing I did buy for myself was one of those big balls. No rude comments here please boys. I sit on this big ball and do one of the exercises - the pelvic something exercise I don't know the correct term for it. If you can ask your physio what they think would work for you.
    I find my exercise pretty good and does take the ache away from my back. The only other thing that relieves my bad back is a warm bath. I think we all find that. I would check out the exercise ball though.

Joyful