MRI scans and metal ?

Options
alicea
alicea Member Posts: 111
edited 29. May 2009, 08:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone I keep reading posts about MRI scans, if you have replacement joints can you still have a MRI . I have had a knee and hip replaced I have had bone scans but that was before the replacements , just curious as it comes up a lot and I havent read one that had a replacement. ....keep smiling ....sandra x

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, When I had an MRI on my neck, they asked me about any metal plates in my body! :shock: I think its because the scanner is a giant electro magnet! :shock: :lol: It you have to have a scan, tell them. Oh dear, I'm getting a cartoon image of someone stuck to the machine, sorry sick sense of humour.

Seriously, someone on here will know miore than me. Or you could check by ringing the department at the hospital. Love Sue
  • alicea
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hello, When I had an MRI on my neck, they asked me about any metal plates in my body! :shock: I think its because the scanner is a giant electro magnet! :shock: :lol: It you have to have a scan, tell them. Oh dear, I'm getting a cartoon image of someone stuck to the machine, sorry sick sense of humour.

Seriously, someone on here will know miore than me. Or you could check by ringing the department at the hospital. Love Sue

Hi Sue thanks for that the doctor is thinking of sending me for one and to be honest i am not keen i am fightened of feeling clostophobic (cant spell) I am really bad in small places . thanks again for advise ...........sandra
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sandra,

I had a bone density scan last year which covered my hips and legs and I have replacement knees - I didn't have to go into a tunnel so it is different to an MRI scan and I'm not sure if it uses magnets - anyway it wasn't a problem for me or them.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    Options
    alicea wrote:
    woodbon wrote:

Hi Sue thanks for that the doctor is thinking of sending me for one and to be honest i am not keen i am fightened of feeling clostophobic (cant spell) I am really bad in small places . thanks again for advise ...........sandra
    Sorry, I did't mean to be flippant. :oops: I think bone density scans use x-ray and MRI use electromagnetic force. I went though the scanner with my watch on, as they told me to keep my jumber on and I forgot to take my watch off. All it did was drain the battery on the watch, new battery and the watch was fine, which was lucky! :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sandra,

It's not too bad in there in the claustrophobic sense...... depending on what bit they are doing. I had all the bits of my back done and it's not too easy in the middle as there is no day light but its quick and if you need them to stop they will.

I also have a bit of metal in my feet, ankle and head and all they needed to know was I had it. Mine is Teflon or titanium...... Well it is my head! :lol: Try not to worry about it cus its over quite quickly and they do let you have a radio or in some of the 'posher' places your own CD. :wink:

Take care and if you need one have it as it's not too bad and it can help to know whats wrong. Cris x
  • alicea
    edited 26. May 2009, 08:35
    Options
    Hi woodban ,You didnt sound flippant, I should really have asked about the mri scan instead of the metal , but i was hoping they wouldnt do one if you have any metal joints . I had a bone scan and i thought the same as you about it being xrays and the mri being magnetic . I was more worried about the tunnel feeling in the mri , I will have to be brave if they want me to have one .I really do panick in small places, i was told it is very close to your face and you cant move your arms . thanks for your advise all the best ......sandra
  • alicea
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Sandra,

It's not too bad in there in the claustrophobic sense...... depending on what bit they are doing. I had all the bits of my back done and it's not too easy in the middle as there is no day light but its quick and if you need them to stop they will.

I also have a bit of metal in my feet, ankle and head and all they needed to know was I had it. Mine is Teflon or titanium...... Well it is my head! :lol: Try not to worry about it cus its over quite quickly and they do let you have a radio or in some of the 'posher' places your own CD. :wink:

Take care and if you need one have it as it's not too bad and it can help to know whats wrong. Cris x

Hi cris , thanks for the advise I am claustrophobic and really hate small places, it makes me panick thinking about it , soft are'nt I. I hoped i could get out of it with the metal thing . thanks again for your help ....sandra
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Sandra,

You and me both but they may not be able to do you, but if they can and want to its not too bad. I did think the last one would have been better had I lost some weight but there is daylight at each end and I found hats what I really don't like but it doesn't take long i promise you and I was able to hold myself together for the time it took though came out and burst in to tears..... Now that is sad! :oops: :lol: Tell them about your metal and maybe you will get a get out clause? Take care , Cris

Hey if its stainless steel...... You might be luck and they said for me they would just recalibrate the machine..... But though my head came into the MRI it wasn't scanned......... They did a CT scan on that though but they are easy! Now I am waffling but I promise you its not too bad and they stop it if you need them to. x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi When I had my neck scanned the it didn't seem to take too long. As you have a buzzer to press to stop it at any time you have a feeling of being in control. It is a bit noisy but mainly because the ear defenders they put on slipped. It was quite cool, which helps. I kept my eyes closed as it relaxes me and I didn't notice the closness much. I also found out the reason for the problem that was worrying me a lot so it was worth it. I have a bone spure which is compressing a nerve in my neck and that causes funny sensations. Love Sue
  • alicea
    Options
    Hi skezier , thanks for that , if you had asked them to stop how long would it take to get you out (is it slow going in and out) I have taken on board the weight thing , I am quite overweight so that is a good reason to get on a diet, I lost 3 stone before my op for my knee but lately put a stone back on , doing nothing isnt good for weight is it. thanks again ....sandra
  • woodbon
    Options
    Don't worry its not slow to get you out, just a few seconds. Nothing is restraining you or stoping them from moving the track you'r lying on no bars to move or anything in the way: just a quick ride like the conveyor belt in the supermarket! you move to the machine not the machine moving over you. Try not to worry. Sue
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Sandra,

It isn't that slow, it just feels like it is. I should think you'd be back out in around 20 seconds? They talk to you if you need them to. The weight thing obviously there is more room if your thinner but I promise you it isn't that bad, I needed the MRI and I just was able to hold it long enough to get it done. There is a microphone and they can speak to you if you need them. See if they will do you cus if they can't your getting worried for no reason.

Hey well done for loosing 3 stone, thats what I need to do, but for some reason I am in comfort eat mode but I must stop! :wink: x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,940
    Options
    I'm having a mri scan on the 22 of june. i have a artifical hip and knee.i have a problem with my hips and leg's acheing from when i get up till when i go to bed the only way i can stop it for a bit is to sit down as standing still make's it worse.
    sorry to go on. and thank's for all the help as it help's reading everyone's post's. i was told it was alright if you had anything artifical. will it take 20 seconds. i was told i could take a cd. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • alicea
    Options
    Hi everyone thanks for all your help. I will post when i have it done and let you all know what a coward i am. ......sandra .x
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi there, I have both my wrists fused with titanium plates and screws and have had 3 MRI scans on different areas with no problems. I just had to inform them before the appointment but they didn't seem too concerned. The scan itself isn't too bad. You have ear protectors which play music to drown out the noise of the scanner and you have a buzzer to squeeze if you need to speak to them or get too uncomfortable. They let you know what's happening and how long is left to go. I found it better to close my eyes and just listen to the music and it's soon over.

If you're concerned about anything is there a number of the MRI dept you can call to get more information ? I'm sure they get many calls from people who are worried about this scan and they are used to answering questions and reassuring them.

Hope all goes well for you,

Take care,
    Marie x
  • dachshund
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the scan as i'm fed up with the acheing in my leg's and back they know i have artifical bit's as i phoned to say they didnot mind.
    i'm having a lumber scan does anyone know how long the scan last's for. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joan,

My back was done in 3 sections and i think the lumber was around 15 mins or there abouts. Good luck, Cris
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the scan as i'm fed up with the acheing in my leg's and back they know i have artifical bit's as i phoned to say they didnot mind.
    i'm having a lumber scan does anyone know how long the scan last's for. joan xx

My lumbar one took about 20 mins :|
    Hope they find out what's causing your problems.
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Cris and Fossillady.
    I will take a westlife cd in with me. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx