cost of arthur

Options
page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
edited 1. Jun 2009, 12:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
When first diagnosed with RA it didnt enter my head that it was going to financially cost me.
the prescription 2 iteams and only gave enough for a month :x i know a lot of you take a lot of meds very expensive.
a couple of handy tools to help open cans bottles ect (very helpfull) :D
Dishwasher hands and shoulder couldnt handle washing up anymore.
I am now finding driving sometimes differcult i have an old banger manual and no power steering. :(
my OH said we can get a new car on new goverment thing (you give them banger they take off £2000 on new car.) your still looking at spending min £4000. this would be all savings gone.
i got very upset told him i dont want new car just want to be able to drive old one without hurting.
OH already listens to me moan about aches and pains( although try not to do this)
OH sees me crying cos im worried how bad it will get or if kids will get it or fustrated or for the simple fact i have RA.
OH has to do more around house cos i cant always do it.
Now i am becoming a financil burden to him too :cry: .
sorry for the moan

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Page I am sure our not viewed as a financial burden at all. Its is hard to 'fund' it all and like you i find driving a bit hard and do quite a bit as my sheep are at tack a few miles from me. My car just mot'd but I also need an auto I think but in the mean time I use 'Herman Munster' boots as they are more comfy......... :oops: :lol:

Maybe you could qualify for an H2 form for help with your tabs? My income went so low I now have one, it helps as in the days when I still had pride I couldn't afford to take them and was very ill. If you don't then you may find it cheaper to get one of those annual payment thingies......

Anyway a giant ((( ))) to you. Cris x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Page35

It's difficult isn't it? I'm relatively fortunate because I'm still in the early stages of RA and it hasn't affected my life to a really great extent. I have had a day off work though, I woke up one morning and could barely walk or get out of bed and I ached all over. I also find myself getting tired very easily and haven't been able to kneel or crouch for months now.

I'm also shocked by prescription prices - I got a 3 month supply of MTX but only a 2 month supply of folic acid which I'm supposed to take a day after the MTX. I rang the doctors and they are looking into it but the receptionist said that sometimes they are only allowed to give out prescriptions for specific periods of time. I can't believe the prices though.

The best thing to do is to keep talking to your OH (I'm sure he'd want to know) and to us too. It's what we're all here for.

Nx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 26. May 2009, 12:15
    Options
    Its cheaper to buy a prepayment card. Especially if you have a lot of medication. I know its a big sum to start of with but it is cheaper in the long run. Its ridiculus really, my husband gets all his medicaions free whatever he has wrong with him because hes diabetic, he even gets his heyfever medication free. :shock: We think its wrong but thats the way it goes.

I'm sorry you feel such a burden, I'm sure thats not the way your family see you, but I do understand what you mean. Money worries are hard at the best of times, but when you feel unwell, they seem worse. Have you checked all the benifits to make sure you claim as much as you can. Don't let the polititains have it all, :roll: pain killers are more needed than duck houses! :lol: Take care, best wishes and love Sue PS I don't suppose you qualify for a Motablity car?
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Page,

Why don't you have a word with your GP and see if they'll prescribe you 2 months supply of drugs, most docs are happy to do this.

You're right about the cost of being disabled (sorry if you don't like that word :oops: ) all equipment to make our life easier costs an extortionate amount of money. I priced a brush on a bent handle, cost £17 - how much does a brush cost able bodied folk? I have taped a brush onto a coat hanger - that actually works very well and you can hang it up when you're not using it :wink:

Try not to worry about the car afterall you'll all get the benefit of using it.

As for the children they won't necessarily get RA - I come from a family of 5 and I'm the only one with it - though my sis has Lupus. I think you could have passed the faulty gene onto your kids but it takes more than one factor to trigger it off. They also have your husband's genes too - don't forget. My sons are fine (tho I do keep my eye on them :roll: ).

...and crying is normal, you have every right to cry, it's damned unfair .... and no one ever wants something like this to happen to them. I cried for three years :shock: and I promise you won't always feel like you do now you will feel happier - don't let the bug**r beat you.

Take care.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Ive got a pre payment certificate you get the leaflet from chemist and send it off. I pay 100 pounds a year for my card and i can order all my medication even ones for coughs colds ect. it works out cheaper for me. joanne
    Joanne
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    When first diagnosed with RA it didnt enter my head that it was going to financially cost me.
    the prescription 2 iteams and only gave enough for a month :x i know a lot of you take a lot of meds very expensive.
    I am now finding driving sometimes differcult i have an old banger manual and no power steering. :(
    my OH said we can get a new car on new goverment thing (you give them banger they take off £2000 on new car.) your still looking at spending min £4000. this would be all savings gone.
    i got very upset told him i dont want new car just want to be able to drive old one without hurting.
    OH already listens to me moan about aches and pains( although try not to do this)
    OH sees me crying cos im worried how bad it will get or if kids will get it or fustrated or for the simple fact i have RA.
    sorry for the moan

Perhaps you may be entitled to DLA. Why not apply. Get your forms and contact Welfare Rights who will help you fill in the forms
    You may be surprised.
    I think, when you are in so much pain, it is difficult to see a way through everything because you are so tired, but I would certainly suggest you contact Welfare Rights to see just what you might beentitled to. good luck

joyful
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    and don't forget you can pay for the prescription certificate monthly by direct debit... no need to fork out a lump sum at one go.

I have an attachment to the steering wheel (bit like hgv drivers have) and it really helps with cornering or reversing manoeuvres.

Have you applied for DLA (disability living allowance)? Even if you get the lowest rate it does go a little way to helping with the extra costs of disability.

Patrick
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Well I got a pre-payment certificate for the chemist too. The first time I used it, it paid for itself since I am on 7 medications. Heat patches, a little bean bag I heat up in the microwave and a TENS machine all cost me too. I am going to the pain clinic next month and was told I'd get all of that free but I just couldn't wait.

I have had a few scrapes in the car when my leg has went dead, usually when reversing out of the drive. I had an estimate £1800 :shock: , but not going to fix it as it's all purely cosmetic and not affecting the car. Our excess is high so don't want to do it through the insurance.
  • page35
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies
    i am in early stage RA so alot of the time can do most things but when i cant it really gets me down. i didnt mean to make myself sound worse than what i am, sometimes i think its not to bad i can live with this, then another time its all to much. i am used to doing everything myself and its driving me mad that i sometimes need help, of any kind.
    i dont think i could get any benifits as i work part time and OH works full time.
    will look in to pre payment card thanks.
    Page
  • suncatcher
    Options
    you can get low rate diabuility allowance as it is not linked to earnings its about 18.50 not much but it helps. also you can get free bus passes and rail hope this helps joanne
    Joanne
  • page35
    Options
    scottishlass that is mad you have to pay for tabs and not injections when its the same thing, wonder why? i saw that can opener for £25 i didnt buy it.

Joanne I didnt know about that benifit any help is better than nothing. i also didnt know about free travel so thank you. hope your ok.

Page
  • joyful164
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Thank you all for your replies
    i am in early stage RA so alot of the time can do most things but when i cant it really gets me down. i didnt mean to make myself sound worse than what i am, sometimes i think its not to bad i can live with this, then another time its all to much. i am used to doing everything myself and its driving me mad that i sometimes need help, of any kind.
    i dont think i could get any benifits as i work part time and OH works full time.
    will look in to pre payment card thanks.
    Page

The DLA is for you. Doesn't matter if you work full time or not. Or your OH. Suggest you investigate and when you fill in the form you describe how you are on a bad day. There's no harm in trying. It's for your own mobility. I got mine when I was working full time and I am now retired. You don't say how old you are, but you are entitled to DLA if you are struggling to get around.

joyful
  • page35
    Options
    Hi joyful
    am going to look in to benifits may be i can get some help. i am 33 and have 2 kids 13yr and 2yrs so have only worked full time for about 4 years as after having my oldist child i have only worked part time dont know if this will make any difference.
    will try anyway
    thanks to you all :)
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi joyful
    am going to look in to benifits may be i can get some help. i am 33 and have 2 kids 13yr and 2yrs so have only worked full time for about 4 years as after having my oldist child i have only worked part time dont know if this will make any difference.
    will try anyway

Hi I've just got my DLA for the first time and as Joy says you must fill the forms in saying how you are when you are at your worst, put everything down about the way it affects your life. I was one of the lucky ones or the people that approve it were having a good day as I never had any problems and I filled mine out myself. They will ask for a report from your gp and any hospital dr's you see. Even if you get the low rate it's worth it as it all helps towards your meds etc. It isn't means tested either so it doesn't matter what money you have coming into the house.

Rita X
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    page35 wrote:

Driving the old one without power steering IS going to hurt. But, you don't need to spend thousands on a new car either.

The second hand car market is in free-fall. Decent low mileage cars, with power steering, are available with full MOT for less than a negotiated thousand pounds. Just go along and look around a small car sales site where you don't have to pay for the big glassy building. Negotiate a reduction in price and 6 months tax, complete with a tank of petrol. If you don't get what you want at the price you want, walk away and go to the one down the road.
    b010.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joyful164
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi joyful
    will try anyway

Good luck

joyful
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    Have you thought about taking out a direct debit to pay for your prescription costs monthly. Visit the PPI site. I need about 8 different meds a month and this saves me a fortune.

I also have to rely on my husband a lot. He has to put my socks on. Help me in and out of the car. Put things away in the cupboards because I either have trouble reaching and I definitely can't bend my knees. My mother-in-law bought me a grabber which is jolly useful for picking things up off the floor and weeding!
    Don't feel bad about asking for help remember when you were healthy you did a lot for your family and in the home. I think this is what gets most of us down - the sheer frustration of not being able to do what you used too.

These days I'm even afraid to go to the shops as I have to walk with a stick. Some people are considerate but others are not.

Take care - I understand how you feel. Someone on this site will be able to help you.
    page35 wrote:
    sorry for the moan
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    If your RA is severe and you have mobility problems, you should be getting mobility allowance and you could get a new car through that, as for the rest do as others have mentioned contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau I don't know if they do it where you live but I saw the CAB through my local GP, they hold a meet there every month, ring and ask, cost nowt to ask. Good Luck.
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi All,
    Just a note on the prescription pre-payment certificate, I found £100 alot to get together at once so I pay for mine monthly by direct debit - it doesn't cost any more to do it that way and it's very convenient. Hope you get it all sorted out. KT
  • suncatcher
    Options
    I hope you are WELL, and have had time to look into the things everyone has suggested and that it helps you. I often think that it is not enough especially if you struggle with the house my hub helps a bit but carnt expect him to do everything i wish we had an allowance to choose what care we need but the government are intent in cutting things not giving. hope you are ok today joanne
    Joanne