page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    Anyone out there who have/had fibroids? Looking for some advice, thanks
    Magenta x

hi Magenta
    i have a very small fibroid but it doesnt cause me any problems so have never worried about it and so dont know much about them either. only that it can make getting pregant more difficult but i was pregant when they found it.
    sorry im no use.
    all the best
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Magenta

I had very heavy periods that began to cause embarrassment because of immense blood loss every month. I dreaded my periods. I eventually had a hysterectomy a few weeks before my 50th birthday. I did not rush into this decision but after the op, I wished I had decided to have it done much earlier on. For me it was such a relief.

It all depends on age and circumstances though of course.

I wish you well,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    Magenta x

Hi
    I used to have very heavy periods. I had an endometrial ablation (microwave technology on the lining of the womb). First stage was to have a skin implant a month before the operation . See internet for details. They reckon on a 70% success rate as the recovery rate is quicker. It didn't work immediately - it took a year for my periods to stop completely (yippee - I was in immense pain and was having a period that lasted over a month). Discuss alternatives with your GP.
    I sometimes wish I was given the hysterectomy because I really went downhill with regards to my arthritis after that. I seemed to spend years in pain. I often wonder if there is a link with heavy periods and arthritis? I used to have severe back pain and leg pains whilst menustrating.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    Magenta x

Hi Magenta
    I have several fibroids in the uterus and in braod ligament around it. I have had problems with pain for a few years and also have ovarian cysts. It worsened last year and after a laporoscopy, was told I need a hysterctomy. However, with my hip problems and now the new hip, I am reluctant to have the op which involves lythotomy/stirrups (SP?) I have been told I can have injections for 6 months to shrink them temporarily, but they do grow back. I was reading recently about uterine artery embolisation, which is a much more minor procedure which blocks the artery supplying the fibroids with blood supply. This then makes the fibroids shrink and die. (very simple explanation!) It is done under LA and sedation, the recovery is much quicker, and in most cases I read about the fibroids don`t grow back.
    I plan to discuss it further with my GP, and if he thinks I am a good candidate , I will check if my gynae dr does the procedure.
    I would rather avoid more major op`s, and the risk to my hips, so hope it will be an option for me!!
    NB
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I had endemetrosis badly, but that was 20 years ago :shock: . I had a hystorectomy, which is why we have no kids. I had very painful periods, which were heavy and became very long towards the end. So the only treatment then was total hystorectomy. They did try hormone treatment, which stopped my periods for 6 months, but when they did an laprocscopy before and after the treatment, and it made no difference :( . After the hystorectomy I was fine, and recovered quickly and felt so much better, that although we were sad not to be able to have a family, I got my life back in other ways and apart from occasional broody thoghts, when friends had babies, no regrets.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thanks for your replies.
    I've had various problems over the years, including ovarian cysts. I was told 3yrs ago that I had fibroids-they were causing me immense pain but drs didn't think it was necessary to do anything about them. I've now got the same terrible pain again and drs have felt 'something' in my womb. It could be fibroids again or a cyst-dunno? I've got enough pains to cope with-I don't need this. I'm going for an appointment at a gyaeny clinic-again! The last time I was at the gyaeny clinic, they told me it was my bowel? I suffer from IBS and as soon as they hear this, they always say it's the IBS. I suppose it's a bit different from hearing 'Oh it's your arthritis'. Thanks for your info,
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I know that diagnosis is much better now, but I had endemetrosis for at about 9 to 10 years before it was diagnosed. Even then, if it hadn't been for a good locum at my GPs it may have been missed then. I was sent into hospital as an emergency and after a few tests, they just sent me home, said it was 'natural for woman to get painful periods' lasting 3 weeks, I don't think so. The locum GP sent me to a very good gynacologist consultant, who diagnosed me quickly and was horrified it had got the state I was in! :shock: So after all this long story, my advice is KEEP ON! If you think theirs something wrong, there probably is!!!! :wink::) Love Sue
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I dont suffer ith Fibroids but my mum does!

She has been hospitalised several times due to heavy bleeding and one time got o bad she needed a blood transfusion. They told her that the fibroids were the size of lemons!!!

They said she may a hysterectomy but wouldnt consider doing it until she lost some weight.

She went to a health food shop and got some advice and they recommended taking something called Chasteberry and also to eat as much Organic food as possible.

She has been doing this for about 6 months and says she feels a lot better and her symptoms have improved.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    I dont suffer ith Fibroids but my mum does!

She has been hospitalised several times due to heavy bleeding and one time got o bad she needed a blood transfusion. They told her that the fibroids were the size of lemons!!!

They said she may a hysterectomy but wouldnt consider doing it until she lost some weight.

She went to a health food shop and got some advice and they recommended taking something called Chasteberry and also to eat as much Organic food as possible.

She has been doing this for about 6 months and says she feels a lot better and her symptoms have improved.
    Thanks xx