prednisolone and hair loss

Options
tamnwill
tamnwill Member Posts: 93
edited 1. Jun 2009, 17:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there, just wondering if anyone else is getting more than normal hair loss from prednisolone please? I understand it can go either way, more corse hair on head or fine baby hair regrowth. I've been no pred for 18 months and getting fine weak hair growth instead of the thick strong hair I used to have before I started on Pred. Any one else experienced the same please? and if so what helps please? I take the hair and nails already but recently read that folic acid helps???????
Energy is eternal delight.
William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tamnwill wrote:
    Hi there, just wondering if anyone else is getting more than normal hair loss from prednisolone please? I understand it can go either way, more corse hair on head or fine baby hair regrowth. I've been no pred for 18 months and getting fine weak hair growth instead of the thick strong hair I used to have before I started on Pred. Any one else experienced the same please? and if so what helps please? I take the hair and nails already but recently read that folic acid helps???????

Hi Tamnwill
    Are you on Methotrexate or other DMard?
    Folic Acid does help. I take folic every day except day of my injection and day before. Start folic acid 24 hrs after injection.
    I was given a check list by my Rheumy nurse and I have to put a tick by every side effect. If I get more than 2 ticks, I have to ring them and they will decide if I can have DMard that week.
    My hair has gone a lot courser and thinner, but that could just be my age, but also could be due to the MTX. I was expecting it to come out in chunks. I find that evening primrose oil and Sea Kelp is good for hair.

Joyful
  • elaine5000
    elaine5000 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Tamnwill
    I get periods of excess hair loss with Hydroxychloroquine but most of it does eventually grow back.
    I have had to have it cut short though because my hair is not in good condition anymore. Any weight stretches it and then it breaks off. I am 50, went through an early menopause 10 yrs ago and regularly lighten my hair which all may have contributed towards the problem.
  • bluelobster
    bluelobster Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi,

I was 25 when i started in MTX and Prednisolone. I suffered quite substantial hair loss. When i finished prednisolone 2.5 years later i had some regrowth. however, my hair is still half the thickness it used to be. I thought i saw a difference when i started taking a supplement - Lamberts Nutrihair - but this could have just been the placebo effect.

The key thing for me was changing my hair colour from brown to blonde. It doesn't look as thin now due to the colour change.
  • vijaysa
    vijaysa Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi

I have had terrible hairloss previously with Chloroquine which I treated with Minoxidal & laser treatment. My hair grew back healthy but not as thick as it used to be. Last year I started Methtrexate and a month later I noticed the hairloss starting. I am a reduced dose i.e. 10mg as I am now on Humira and I still have considerable loss. I hope to be off the methotrexate soon. Perhaps my hair will grow back then.
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    i to have hair loss and its not just on head its legs arms etc . alot of ppl have said its the meds im on i do take folic acid but only one 3 days after the mtx can i take more. my nails are rubbish as well so weak i only take evenings now and again and cod liver oil i use to take them every day mayb i should start back on them is there anything else that can help that doesn interfear with the meds im on .
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    hi all i was reading one of the side affects of one my tabs last night pravastatin for cholestrol inhereted i have got. guess what hair loss with this one as well . flamin tabs all have some side affect with them sick of takin all this tabs etc drives you mad xxxx im not moaning at all he he xxxx
  • yesmeducky
    yesmeducky Member Posts: 50
    Options
    I have noticed my hair thinning too. I'm taking predisolone, sulfalasine and methotrexate. And speaking of statins for cholesteral, well i'm on those too. Good job i've got a beehive retro wig in my wardrobe :mrgreen:

Heidi x
  • tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi there, when I was on MTX I was told to take 5mgs of folic acid every day EXCEPT the day I had the MTX.............have read quite a few threads that said their advice was 1 - 4 times a week, but my consultant said the folic acid prevents the side effects, so to take it 6 x a week.........just thought I'd say!! xxx

joyous wrote:
    i to have hair loss and its not just on head its legs arms etc . alot of ppl have said its the meds im on i do take folic acid but only one 3 days after the mtx can i take more. my nails are rubbish as well so weak i only take evenings now and again and cod liver oil i use to take them every day mayb i should start back on them is there anything else that can help that doesn interfear with the meds im on .
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain