Does Enbrel affect male fertility?

Options
footballblubber
footballblubber Member Posts: 2
edited 27. May 2009, 13:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. can you help? I am a 31 year old male with ankylosing spondilitis. I have recently started using an anti tnf called enbrel which has helped me greatly. I am also looking to start a family and i have been advised by my rheumatologist not to try and conceive whilst using enbrel based on the fact that it is a new drug and there is very little info on its affects to the child. I dont want to stop taking enbrel but i dont want to potentially harm the baby i am trying to conceive. Does anyone have any advice, personal experience or know of any research which has been done in this area ( for males on enbrel ) about this. Thanks

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi FBB,

Welcome to the Forum and to posting.

I think your Consultant has more or less said that the Embrel could harm your baby. Why don't you just come off it temporarily whilst you're trying to conceive? I'm sure your Rheumy could suggest another drug for you to use in the meantime.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Footie person!
    welcome to the forum from me too!
    I just HATE it when people are given this kind of choice :!: :( I think I would get back to rheumy and ask if I could either delay treatment till after conception or for an alternative.
    You would never forgive yourself would you?
    Then I would 'PRACTISE' like mad till OH is pregnant!!! he he!
    Good luck
    Toni x