Question About Steroids

Options
breane
breane Member Posts: 392
edited 3. Jun 2009, 06:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,Saw my Gp this afternoon and because my pain has got a lot worse,he has put me on a weeks supply of steroids(Prednisolone-8 a day all in one go).If anyone else is taking this,have you had adverse effects such as sickness,weight gain etc?He's also added Tramadol(50mg) to my other meds and I have heard those can cause sickness.I am going away for a weekend break and I'm worried if the side effects happen quickly. :( Not so bad if you are at home,you cope with it better.I'll now be taking 15 tablets a day but I guess a lot of you are taking even more than that.One good thing though,my Gp is contacting the rheumatologist asking for my first appointment to be brought forward from the original date of June 24th. :) Another good thing,feet swelling has started to go down today and I can actually get shoes on for the first time in four days! :lol: I think my Gp has started taking me a bit more seriously as he told me that he's just been on a rheumatology course because he's now seeing so many more patients with the disease.Arthur sure gets around!! Breane.x :P

Comments

• roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tramadol does make me queasy quite quickly if I take either 2 at once or one and then another say in an hour's time.

That dose of steroid does seem to be a heavy load on your stomach so you might get a reaction quickly too; fortunately weight gain takes a little longer so you should be ok for just a week.

Good luck with the rheumy appointment.

Patrick
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    breane wrote:
    Hi,Saw my Gp this afternoon and because my pain has got a lot worse,he has put me on a weeks supply of steroids(Prednisolone-8 a day all in one go).If anyone else is taking this,have you had adverse effects such as sickness,weight gain etc?He's also added Tramadol(50mg) to my other meds and I have heard those can cause sickness.I am going away for a weekend break and I'm worried if the side effects happen quickly. :( Not so bad if you are at home,you cope with it better.I'll now be taking 15 tablets a day but I guess a lot of you are taking even more than that.One good thing though,my Gp is contacting the rheumatologist asking for my first appointment to be brought forward from the original date of June 24th. :) Another good thing,feet swelling has started to go down today and I can actually get shoes on for the first time in four days! :lol: I think my Gp has started taking me a bit more seriously as he told me that he's just been on a rheumatology course because he's now seeing so many more patients with the disease.Arthur sure gets around!! Breane.x :P
    hi i was once put on that many i had a really bad head with the pred made me feel better thou and stronger started on 8 and reduced them day by day they do bring the swelling down very quickly i noticed . i also noticed they made me a bit aggresive and made me hungry more. the strong pain killers work but made me drowsy only took if absolute necassay i dont no if your allowed to drink alchol on the tramadol either . peppermint t might help for sickness good luck and enjoy your wk end sorry if i not much help joy xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I saw my gp today, as my neck has been so painful the last couple of weeks, and she gave me tramadol. I've taken just 1 at a time 3 times today and been fine, but I think it depends on the person, we are all different and you may have a different experience. I also haven't got steriods. I think if i were you, and the pain is really bad I'd try either take them straight away and see, as you've a couple of days, to stop them if they effect you badly. If the pain is not too bad, then make up your mind not to take them until you get back and you are able to give them a proper tryout. I don't know about you, but if I am worried something may make me feel sick, I often do feel sick!! :? The power of suggestion, in my case! :oops:

Thats what I'd do, anyway, but its not really any help to you, is it?

Enjoy the week-end. :) Love Sue
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I was put on these for 4 months a while back and the main side effect was feeling hungry all the time but i think a week or so shouldnt be a problem. I put on lots of weight in my face and found that when i was reduced gradually found that the weight came off quite easily.

The other thing i found was my hair got greasy quite often.

They do take the swelling down though
  • breane
    Options
    Hi all, Well,I started the new meds last Wed. evening, Tramadol one tablet 2 or 3 times a day and also Prednisolone steroids(8 tablets daily taken all in one go).I still take the Naproxen and Omeprazole.On Thursday morning when I woke,after a good nights sleep which was very unusual,I found I could move all my joints.As the day wore on it just got better and better and by Friday I was completely free of the pain in my hands,wrists and shoulder. :lol: My Gp did say the steroids would work quickly and he was right.I've been in Somerset over the weekend and it was great to be painfree,I felt like I did before I got OA and RA.I see my Gp again on Wed. and I hope he will keep me on the steroids until I get my first appointment with the rheumy.So far I've not had any side effects.In fact,I seem to have more energy.Will this last,I don't know but I'm just enjoying being painfree even if it's only for a short time.I had forgotten what it was like to be normal!!! Breane. :P
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I started on steroids about 6 weeks ago and cant believe the difference they have made to me! I wasnt keen on taking them ( only take 2 day 10 mg) but it was as if someone turned all the pain and stiffness off. I feel as if I have got my life back after 3 1/2 years. I have to start reducing them by 1 mg over a 4 week period to try and get down to 7 mg over the new few months. I am very hungry on them and erratic too - I have been taking mine at night but trying to change to the morning as found I couldnt switch off at night.

Good luck I hope they continue to work as well for you. :)
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Breane
    I know you said your taking 8 Pred a day but what strenth are they
    Colin
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    The most common way to take prednisolone is as a single daily dose taken with breakfast. It may be spread throughout the day if your GP advises it.

Take prednisolone with or after food. The dose of prednisolone, when taken by mouth, may consist of several tablets, and may need to be taken all at once in the morning.
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/30002712/

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • breane
    Options
    Hi Colin,The dose of steroids I'm taking is each tablet is 5mg so 40 mg a day.I've been taking them at night as my Gp wanted me to start taking them straight away but think I will miss tonights dose and start taking them in the morning with the stomach protector and Naproxen.I just can't believe the difference they have made. :) Don't know how long you can be on them at any one time and once off them,does all the pain and stiffness come back? Any advice is helpful as this is my first time taking steroids and wasn't too keen to start them as I had heard a lot of bad reports about steroids. Breane.x :lol:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm glad you had such a great week-end with the medicatons working without side effects! :D The lovely weather must have been the icing on the cake for you! :) Love Sue
  • bubbsie
    bubbsie Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Oh Breane ,
    you have given me encouragement to take my steriods , I am in agony doc gave me some predisolone 4 aday but i am scared to take them but i'm going to have a try tomorrow morning as I am due to go to spain sat hopfully they will help thanks :)
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    breane wrote:
    Don't know how long you can be on them at any one time Breane.x :lol:

I've been on them for over 9 years continuously and will never stop says my rheumy.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi there, for what it's worth, I've been on Pred for 18 months..........I was told to 'always' take them in the morning as your levels of 'something or other' (lol) are higher then. You will get great relief from 40mgs 'and' you will have more energy, even to the point of being restless at night and only needing approx' 5 hours sleep............but be careful.........it is a false energy, so don't over do it........difficult if you feel like you have your old body back and are enjoying the relief and bounce in your step. The key thing is to reduce them slowly when you get to 10mgs and below. Pred stays in your system for a couple of weeks 'after' you start reducing them, so you can think you're ok and then it can be a bit of a bummer when you appear to get a flare up again (say when you get to 2.5mgs) Basically enjoy the relief but don't go bonkers on your joints doing cleaning and exercise etc..............good luck
    javascript:emoticon(':D')

breane wrote:
    :D
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain
  • breane
    Options
    Hi,Have been on steroids for a week now with really good results. :) Saw my Gp this morning and he has lowered the dose from 8 x 5mg a day to 6 x 5mg a day.Once off of them completely do all the symptoms return quite quickly or is there a period of respite?I have found them to be very good and I am now pain free but I have found they have given me a lot of energy and I find I have to make myself slow down a bit or else I would keep going all day and night!!Apart from still taking the Omeprazole and Naproxen,I havn't had the need to take Tramadol.I see the Gp again next week for an update so I guess he will lower the steroids once again.Hope you all have a good day and are enjoying the beautiful sunshine. Breane.x 8)
  • bubbsie
    bubbsie Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Oh MY I love steriods,

Thanks to you breane I started mine and yesterday was the best day I have had in 2 years I am only on 20mg daily but I was nearly pain free and so excited and had energy I think I have the euphoria side effect but i like it :lol: even went out to the pub last night and just laughed all night no drinking though did'nt need it . I am off to spain on saturday hopefully this will last well at least for 2 weeks :D