What is all this talk about thoat problems?

Options
frogslegs
frogslegs Member Posts: 26
edited 7. Jun 2009, 07:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having only recently found this forum, I have noticed a few messages referring to throat problems with OA. Is this a common problem? Is this something else I have to look forward too? What are the symptoms because I often had a sore throat if I was under pressure at work, and more recently started to choke more often?

Comments

• frogslegs
    frogslegs Member Posts: 26
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Evidently not? At least that is one thing I do not have to worry about. Will have to go back to old pages as I know I read more than one message that mentioned a sore throat! :?
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi frogslegs

I have mentioned a sore throat many times on here, but it has always been in connection with my RA, and with it being a potential indicator of infection within my body dues to my lowered immune system (I take Immune suppressant drugs)

If I have a sore throat i have to get blood tests done, and often a thrat swab too, and that will be the same for many on here who take the DMARDS like methotrexate, leflunomide etc.

hope that helps
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi,
    I have RA and I think it affects my throat. But its not a sore throat its more a feeling of a thickening in the back of the throat, makes me feel as if theres not as much 'room' to swallow as usual.

I was really worried about it and thought my throat would swell up and CHOKE me to death :shock: I'm getting used to it coming and going now (but I don't like it!).

I think it also affects my neck muscles or glands sometimes too.

Jackie x