edited 4. Jun 2009, 02:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
just found out i have oa and i need help

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Well, you have come to the right place, so welcome. You will find many people who can help you on this site, and you can receive lots of information about OA from the helpline too. You don't say how the OA is affecting you, but I hope you are getting help from your doctor as well as pain relief. I have OA too, mainly in my knees and ankle, so if I can answer any questions you might want to ask, I will try my best.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again juejue!

Pleased to see you have posted on here. It is always a terrible shock to be diagnosed but at least all your aches, pains and discomfort have a name. I have oa in my hands, knee, lower and upper back and suffering from sciatica at the mo, sometimes with a vengeance. You are not alone with this osteo arthritis!

Who diagnosed you, your gp? Has he given you medication and if so, it is easing the pain? Have you had a blood test to rule out rheumatoid arthritis? Have you had xrays done? Sorry about all the questions? One more, have you been referred to a consultant? If you let us know more we may well be able help you further.

I am sure others will answer your post soon,

In the meantime chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • juejue
    juejue Member Posts: 63
    Options
    its in my spine and i think its in my knee and feet my gp is not helpful i have been in so much pain i am waiting to go to the pain clinic which has been a mouth now
  • elnafinn
    Options
    You are not alone there either, juejue, quite a few gps are not sympathetic after diagnosing arthritis. Has he given you any pain killers or anti inflammatory pills to take? They do help.

The pain clinic is usually very helpful and supportive.In the meantime, if your gp has not given you any medication or if what he has given, is not touching the pain, you must go back to him or to another gp. Sometimes, unfortunately, we have to fight for what help we need. It should not be like this, but often is. Don't give, up, keep going back - your gp will get the message eventually, or as I mentioned, before, ask to see another gp, one that understands about OA.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • juejue
    Options
    i have been taking morphine patches and diclafenic they did a mri scan on my back not done any blood test went to all 3 doctors they just don,t care walk there on tuesday so that i could show them my legs swell when i walk they just told me to lose weight
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi juejue

I am really sorry to see that the gps are not "caring" at all. You must be in a great deal of pain to have been prescribed morphine patches. Do they take the edge off the pain at all? I have never had them prescribed for me but I know others have on here.

It is difficult to lose weight, so I do sympathise, especially when it is painful to walk and generally get about and everything is an effort.

I am sure others will answer your posting soon. At least you have found us all and we are in the same boat, to a greater or lesser degree and we do try to help each other and cheer each other up as and when.

Peeps post a rant on here and feel better just for writing it all down. I hope you, at least do not feel so alone now with this OA as you perhaps did.

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x

• juejue
    Options
    i am booked in for a prolapes op tomorrow will be in for a few days
  • juejue
    Options
    i am so glad that i found this site i don,t feel alone now
  • elnafinn
    Options
    juejue wrote:

Hi juejue,

You really are going thu the mill at the mo, aren't you? I wish you a speedy recovery, so that you can get back on here again after your op. We will all still be here!

Sending you cyber hugs,

Luv
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    edited 28. May 2009, 09:16
    Options
    juejue wrote:
    i am so glad that i found this site i don,t feel alone now

I am happy that you found this site too, juejue. The site has helped me and it will help you too. We cannot wave any magic wands unfortunately but we are in this all together on here so know what it is all about, unlike those that don't have arthritis and do not understand, some not at all.

Speak soon,

Luv
    Elna x

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    juejue wrote:

Hello juejue

Good luck with your operation. I had a prolapse op when I had my hysti op 10 years ago. You'll be fine.

I started posting about 10 days ago, and I think i have come in on most subjects which have been posted and have posted a few myself.
    Since retiring, I have found it so useful. I miss chatting to my ex-colleagues about things and OH doesn't know a lot of things about our OA, PA and RA etc. etc. I have learn't a lot since joining the forum. Every one has been so friendly and helpful.
    I have also logged onto Arthritis Care's self management course Challenging Arthritis. A confirmation of a course has come through today for one in Nov/Dec running for 6 weeks in my area in Northamptonshire. If you log on you might get one near to where you live.
    There may be a lot that I know already, then there might be a lot I still don't know, especially about new medicines etc. If you are new to all this then give it a go.
    We are all different in our handling of the different drugs and painkillers. Just log on to In Your Area at the top.

All the best
    Joyful
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hello Juejue, Welcome to the forum. :lol: It is quite distressing when first diagnosed with O/A but you will get a lot of help and advice on this forum.I have found it to be a great help,just knowing others are feeling the same as myself.I was diagnosed with O/A last Dec. and have recently also been diagnosed with R/A and that came as a bit of a shock.Once you get thr right medications I am sure you will start to feel a bit more settled and any time you feel in need of a chat or a good moan,just log on here as there is always someone who will listen. Take care,Breane.x :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Juejue
    Welcome from me too!
    When you have got bcak home after having your procedure down I will look forward to seeing more of your posts. Hope all has gone well.
    toni x
  • juejue
    Options
    thank you too everyone yesterday for giveing me support i will be back
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it helpful and informative as well as a place to voice the frustrations of living with this condition. I expect at the moment you have a lot of shock after the diagnosis, most of us do. So don't worry and give yourself time.

I have OA in my lumber spine and in my neck, as well as a few other joints. As a care assistant, I am in the process of being medically retired, at 54!!!

OA is often written off as 'wear and tear' 'degenartive disease' and people feel frustrated with this, as well as confused as to what they have got wrong with them! :? Its a painful disease, and it can take some time to get medication worked out, so that you suffer less pain. Putting something hot or cold on the effected joint can help ease pain, but its no cure. Have you spoken to the Helpline here, they are very helpful and will send out leaflets if you want them to. Its confidential, so no worries on that score :)

Well, I hope you find out what you need to know, pleae use this site to ask questions, someone will usually come up with good advice. It can be lonely worrying at home, and we like to welcome newcommers! It you have any questions, just put up a post. Love and best wishes, hope you soon get over the shock of this Love Sue
  • juejue
    Options
    back from hospital now all went well
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi juejue

Welcome back and pleased to hear you are ok. Hope you are able to enjoy the good weather today.

Luv
    Elna x

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Just to wish a speedy recovery from the op. We look forward to hearing from you again and glad you've let us know you'll be away, so we don't think we've lost you! :) Love Sue
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Juejue, Just sending best wishes for a speedy recovery. :) Let us know how you are getting on. Luv Breane. :P
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi,

Glad it all went well and your home again. I also wanted to say Hi and welcome etc and I know how hard unsupported doctors are, I have some so bad I wonder if they actually are doctors! :wink: However the one thing they did was send me to see a consultant and he is wonderful so don't give up and see if you can go under the hospital at all.

I hope something happens to help you, Take care, Cris
  • juejue
    Options
    i have just woken up because i was dreaming i was at the pain clinic how sad is that the appointment must be on the way
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    juejue wrote:
    i have just woken up because i was dreaming i was at the pain clinic how sad is that the appointment must be on the way

Jue jue, I just sent you a message after seeing your other post. I hope it helps.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi, sorry i havent spoken to you in the past been a little busy of late with the warm weather. Just wanted to say get well soon and hope your op helps.
    Colin
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI & a belated welcome to the forum!

sorry didn't catch your thread before - not been on so much just lately myself.

Glad to hear your op went well. Now you can concentrate on writig lists of all ythe questions you have, sothat the next time you see someone you are well armed!

Even those of us who have been on this journey a long time get infuriated with medical staff at times. Sometimes it takes a while to build up a relationship, and then they begin to recognise when you are really being honest with them.

Don't forget that it is your body and that anything you ask will ahve been asked a thousand times before, even if it seems really daft to you!

take care,
    WOnky
  • juejue
    Options
    this week i have been in so much pain i wanted to end it all yesterday i have got nobody to turn to no gp no pain clinic as yet and if i turned up at A&E they would just send me away