dentist appointment&methotrexate injections

Options
amethyst
amethyst Member Posts: 30
edited 28. May 2009, 18:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
i need to have a filling done at the dentist and will need an injection to freeze my mouth will this be all right as i am on methotrexate injections

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Amethyst
    Sorry About the neeed for dental treatment :( Poor You :(
    Not sure I know the answer to that am sure it ought to be ok, but I would check with rheumy nurse before going ahead.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I have been to the dentist and told him about my MTX injections when I had to have some route canal work done for crowns. Not a problem for myself

joyful
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    hi, i am on mtx injections and i told the dentist when i went and they said that it was fine.
    I must admit i refused the injection as i can't stand having a numb face for ages but that is just me being wierd as i am told by my hubby and friends.
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    im on mtx and enbrel inj and i have had inj at the dentist just make sure they have all your meds wrote down when you go ive never had a prob with them joy xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI,

What a good question ........ there has been discussion of this before.

I have MTX injections and was told that it was very important that my dentist be informed that I took Methotrexate, as it can influence how they treat you, and also how they look after you. My understanding is that the methotrexate makes us more suceptible to infections, particularly in the mouth, and the medication can also influence the health of our mouth long-term.

My dentist is well aware of the MTX I take, and my gums are always inflamed. He has been very helpful iwth advice about keeping the infection risks to a minimun, and they do adapt some of my treatment. I have had no problems personally with injections, but when they do a scale and polish they usually don't polish muchk, and they do the scale by hand so there is less chance of the gums being irritated.

I would say always let your dentist know everything you take, then they know what they are dealing with, and can give helpful hints too.

hope it goes ok. I'm off for a filling soon too. :(