Advice please - What is the best pain relieving gel/cream

Options
twinney
twinney Member Posts: 80
edited 30. May 2009, 08:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello There,
I have severe O/A in my back ,both hips, and knees. Due to IBS and stomach ulcers I have problems taking pain killing tablets.
My doctor has put me on Paracetamol Tablets and Ibuprofen Capsules and Gel. They don't seem to help much with the pain, so I thought that I would try some painkilling gel or cream and was wondering if anyone could recommend one I could try which might help me.
Many thanks
Regards
Lyn

Comments

• lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi sorry to hear about your problems,as if the arthur wasn't enough eh?
    I have used voltarol cream in the past and found it helpful on my hands and knees but never actually tried on bigger joints but it worked for me.
    I think i saw diclofenac gel or cream in the chemist,couldn't swear to it but someone else may know better.I have taken diclofenac tablets but now they are changing them for something else.
    linda H 8)
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    twinney wrote:
    Hello There,
    I have severe O/A in my back ,both hips, and knees. Due to IBS and stomach ulcers I have problems taking pain killing tablets.
    My doctor has put me on Paracetamol Tablets and Ibuprofen Capsules and Gel. They don't seem to help much with the pain, so I thought that I would try some painkilling gel or cream and was wondering if anyone could recommend one I could try which might help me.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Lyn

Hi Lyn

I don't think any of them are strong enough to get rid of the pain, but I have Movelat Prescribed. I don't know if you can buy it over the counter. It does have a lovely cooling effect for the referred pain areas such as the muscles and tendons. You can only use it 3 times a day.

I can't take Ibu tabs or cream because of my asthma. I'm OK with this Movelat Gel though.

Joyful
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Have you been to your GP with this problem? I also have to be careful for the same reasons as you. Your GP may be able to prescribe something that is suitable for the pain and won't hurt your stummoch. Its so hard trying to find the best creams, as what works for one person dosn't for the next. :( Personally, as has been said, I don't find the creams powerful enough for my pain, but I have had Ibulieve from my GP.

I hope you soon find something to help, as pain brings you down so quickly and makes you tired. Love Sue :wink:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi twinney

Looks like you have some good advice here.

BUT REMEMBER

What works for others may not work for you, and please talk to your doctor before making changes to your medication.

• twinney
    twinney Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hello There.
    Many thanks for all of your kind advice. I am going to make an appointment with my GP and discuss other suitable pain relief that I can perhaps try.
    Thanks again.
    Lyn
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Aloeveraproduct.co.uk sounds like a sales rep to me. If you need medication, the only safe way to do it is to go to the chemists and ask a trained pharmasist or of course, your doctor. It can be very dangerous to buy something that may not be tested. Or it can also be a compleate waste of money. £26 pounds is a lot and could be a harmful product.

Sorry to disapoint you but I'd give it a miss. Get real help from the professionals who know you. I hope you soon feel better.
    Love Sue
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    I have tried forever aloe vera although some people swear by it, it did not work for me, besides it is very expensive.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    marie48 wrote:
    I have tried forever aloe vera although some people swear by it, it did not work for me, besides it is very expensive.

Hi there
    Sorry you are having such trouble finding painkillers that help you without all the damaging side effects. I have occasionally used ibuprophen for my thumb joint but it only works sometimes. As for the aloe vera forever freedom supplement, a friend of my hubby sent me a 3 month course as he swears by it. I took it religiously but it has not made any difference to my joints and my hair is no shinier either :lol: It does sound like a sales rep in the above post. Also it is mega expensive!
    Gillx
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    My GP gives out Capascin cream for everything. I hate it apart from not working because it is a chilli compund base when you have a bath/shower up to 72 hrs later (which most people do). It feels like your skin is burning with the water (even cold water). GP says I need to perserve but its horrid. You feel like your being scalded.

:o(