which rheumy / hospital in East Midlands?

Options
tonywilson
tonywilson Member Posts: 8
edited 3. Jun 2009, 06:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have been given various options of hospitals to visit to get rheumy advice - as a new patient

(Blood test show one rheumy factor to be high, I have normal xrays on ankle and wrists / hands but OA type symptoms [clicks, some swelling and pain at times] - I already have OA on big toe and spine).

The rheumy options are:

Queens Medical Centre - Nottingham
Derby City hospital
Burton Hospital
Ilkeston Hospital

My thinking is Queens Medical Centre - as this is the largest hospital on the list.

Any advice / suggestions would be much appreciated. I want to get the choice right as I guess that it would be difficult to change it later.

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,im under burton,disabled parking is cramp. i have oa.
    my appointments r spaced out 8 months appart.
    ive now had my 2nd appointment been refered to pain clinic,had mri last sat.im waiting for joint jabs.its a slow process i think where ever u go.nx appointment is in dec,but at least he's not wrote me off yet.
    i didnt have a choice,good luck.debsx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Tony,

My rheumatologist is at the QMC - he is the best one I've ever had, he's my 4th over 23 years. They were all pretty good but none so brilliant, observant, thorough and caring as this guy - his name's Dr Gaywood. :D

He blushed when I told him how fantastic I think he is - I believe if you have something nice to say - then do so - life's too short not to.

I'm shutting up now.

Luv Legs :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I'm at Burton hospital as well and so far found it great. Have to say though I missed out all that stuff and am having a THR next Friday.
    I broke my ankle last July was told In August I had degenerative arthritis, my gp managed it till earlier this year then he decided I needed to go back to the hospital went on 23rd March and as I said having op next week. I found everyone at Burton very friendly and helpful.
    Whatever choice you make good luck hope it's the right one.
    Rita X
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    My Rheumy is at Chesterfield Royal but he's retiring next year :cry: I've been with him 19 years. We actually have 2 but I have not had much experience with the other. The Rheumy nurses are excellent and are always on hand for any problems or queries when you can't get to see the consultant. At the moment my appointments are every 6 months and DAS scores done with the nurses the same.
    Might be just outside your area but thought I'd mention.

Marie x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi
    I wish I lived near enough to the QMC coz that's where I would be! :wink:
    Unfortunately am in West mids! Still my rheumy is ok so not complaining!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi
    Now that Derby City Hospital has been rebuilt as a superhospital, it has some of the most up-to-date facilities and equipment in the country. But I think the consultant you see is the most important thing, wherever you go. I guess there are good ones at all the hospitals you mention.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Ive just popped in to say welcome to the site and I hope you find it. I haven't got RA I've got OA, I also live in Norfolk, so don't know your hospitals but lots of people on here do have your problems and I'm sure know the hospitals you talk about. :)
    Love Sue
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm another person under Burton - so far i have had no problems with the hsopital and the staff have been fantastic!

Parking is the only problem!
    x
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    hi iam at QMCi was at nottingham city hospital but they have joined the two hosp together now my my Dr is Pandi if you prefer a lady dr she is great she listens that is important to us all good luck pauline :):)
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,i also find parking at burton a problem.
    lack of disabled parking for a start.
    although if ur on benefits you can reclaim parking & mileage.
    ask at the help desk,then they direct you to a building where you can reclaim.when you pay for parking press the button for reciept as you'll need that too.
    make sure youve proof of entitlement with you each time you claim.
    sorry to any1 that already new that,but some dont.
    every little helps ah!!!debsx
  • tonywilson
    tonywilson Member Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks

I have decided to go for QMC. Appointment in mid July.

Everything crossed that it isn't RA.

My GP reckoned that as only one of the two RA indicators showed up through the blood test to be high - that this may be due to my OA.

He also reckoned that my ankle and wrist didn't look like RA

It all seemed a bit odd to me - but that's what he said.

Has anyone heard of this?
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi

I was at the DRI at Derby but have my first appointment at the new Derby City Hospital, I have found them very good whilst at the DRI will have to see what its like today. I presume it will be all the same staff.

debs
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    tonywilson wrote:
    thanks

............................He also reckoned that my ankle and wrist didn't look like RA

It all seemed a bit odd to me - but that's what he said.

Has anyone heard of this?

Sorry Tony I can't answer this one as I only have RA and I'm not sure of the behaviour of OA - hopefully someone with RA/OA combination or just OA will be able to help.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'