Time for surgery

sharon1
sharon1 Member Posts: 10
edited 31. May 2009, 14:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well i went to the hospital yesterday for pre admission exam and tests, i am booked to have total hip replacement( uncemented ceramic on ceramic) on 24th June. i was told that i may need a blood transfusion after the surgery, i was wondering how many require a transfusion after surgery.
any ideas?
sharon x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sharon,
    Just a good luck and I hope it all goes really well for you. I don't know how many need the transfusion but I had to have a load of blood after my back surgery and it was because I lost some during the opp and it was as a precaution so please don't let that side of it worry you.

People who have had their hips done will be able to help you more and will be along soon....... Though in the sun some may be back much later. i hope you have a good day, its so nice to see heat and real sun where i am concerned. :D

Good luck again. Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi sharon

That is good news isn't it? :D You will be able to get on with your life again after the recuperation period. :D

I suppose it was a blood transfusion I had after my TKR. At the hospital where I was they used my blood that I had lost during the op. I thought that was a brilliant idea. They have to "return" it back to you in a certain amount of time.

I wish you all the very best for a speedy recovery and look forward to hearing how you are going on.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Hi,
    I had THR 5 weeks ago. I had blood taken for cross matching but didn't need a transfusion. My iron levels were a bit low on discharge but was just told to eat healthy. I've been fine, don't worry. Transfusions are not. A problem either as you would have a drip up anyway. Good luck
    Elaine
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    before my hip op i actually gave blood, this was so that if i needed a transfusion during or after op they had plenty of my own blood to use.
    i had to go in each week to give a pint or however much it is they take! i gave i think 4 lots all together.
    i didn't need it in the end but i thought this was a good idea.
    good luck for your op, i'm sure it will be fine!
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    elnafinn wrote:
    I suppose it was a blood transfusion I had after my TKR. At the hospital where I was they used my blood that I had lost during the op. I thought that was a brilliant idea. They have to "return" it back to you in a certain amount of time.

Hi yeah me too I think it is quite common to return blood so try not to worry too much. Good luck with your op!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I've not had any orthopeadic surgery, but I have had other types of surgery and when I had peritonitis I had to have 2 units of blood to increase the red blood cell count. It was no different to having a drip. These days a lot of hospitals use the return of blood method. Either way, as the others have said, its nothing to worry about. I'm sure either the hospital or your GP will be happy to discuss this with you and answer any questions you have. :)

Good luck with for the op and I wish you a speedy recovery. At least you'll have the summer to recover in! :lol: Lots of love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Sharon,

That's really good news :D

My blood was recycled too after joint double TKR but I had to have more because a faulty connection leaked my own blood onto the floor around my bed. My poor hubby arrived in the evening to find two nurses blotting it up :shock:

........... d'know there's always some twit ready to tell you a horror story before you're due to go in for your op :roll: Sorry :oops:

Luv from Legs who in this case is the aforementioned twit :?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Hi,

Wishing you all the best for you hip replacement. I am three months post op and did not get a transfusion, but for the first twelve weeks was very light headed, and fell a few times when I got up, so I think it was something to do with the op and was low on something. It has settled down now, so watch out for it.

Hope it all goes well and you will be back on your feet in now time, but do not rush the recovery. I tried to and it did me no favours.

Collette
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    I had my THR (uncemented, ceramic/ceramic) just over 3 months ago. I did not need a transfusion, but as has been said already, was cross matched just in case. I think it is routine to take bloods just in case. My hb was on low side on discharge but I am fine now. There was an eldery lady in the ward when I was, who had a transfusion but she had had anaemia problems previously , and she had no problems having the transfusion. You usually have 2 cannulas in place for fluids and pain relief after the op, so it is not a problem if you do need it.
    Good luck ! :D
    NB